Thread: Faction - Principality of Moldavia

Default Faction - Principality of Moldavia

Principality of Moldova

* Ţara Moldovei *

* * * * * * * * * * * UNITS * * * * * * * * * * *

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Tzar; April 07, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Default Re: Faction - Principality of Moldavia

to be edited
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

We need a thread like this in the dev. forum, so I can consolidate research on this faction.

And here are some heraldric images(to be expanded over time):

Crest of Stephen the Great (the colors are probably wrong, I would suggest more red-black design):

Battle Standards of Moldova from the 14th to teh 18th century:

Hasdeu Boiar Family Crest:

Carpi Boiar Family Crest:

Modern crests (though based off historic ones):

Moldovan Coins:

An actual stone carving of the coat-of-arms:

Last edited by Romano-Dacis; February 08, 2008 at 02:05 PM.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Name: Moldova or Tara Moldovei
    Cities: the most important cities XIV century were: Baia (the capital of the country until cca. 1388, little importance after that), Suceava (the capital of the country since cca.1388 until XVI c., the seat of the Metropoly of Moldova, protected by Şcheia Castle), Neamt (a fortress and town), Orhei (SW of Soroca, market town, held by tatars in 1345, conquered by Moldova in cca 1370), Roman (market town), Cetatea Alba (fortress and major port to Black Sea, held by Genoa until cca. 1391 when it is incorporated into Moldova, it had a population of more than 15.000), Hotin (fortress held by Moldova since cca. 1375), Cernauti (city held by Moldova since 1359, comercial importance), Iasi (in 1345 just a little town, but it will became the capital of Moldova in XVI c.)
    Economy: rich in Wheat, Grape Vine, sheeps, cattles, apiary, salt - Targu Ocna

A good map of Moldova is http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ldovei_map.png
    Last edited by mircea; March 17, 2008 at 02:23 PM.

And what about Iasy, Pereseczen, Seret, Bielgorod, Akerman?

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Iasi was first mentioned in 1408, but the town seems to be much older
    Pereseczen????
    Siret although important its too close to Suceava and Baia, town of much greater importance.
    Bolhrad or Bolgrad is an XIX c. town in Bujak(Ukaraine now)
    Akerman is Cetatea Alba and was ruled by Moldova until 1484when the turk occupied it.

I have some very reliable historic maps, and Iasy is on from XII/XIIIc map. In Polish Białogród, I think universal name – Belgorod is a port in Moldova close to Akerman also on the map XII/XIIIc (Akerman appeared later).
    Pereseczen (Peresethen?) is even older – I have it on a map X-XIc.

Here you can see:

Pereseczen:

Białogród, Iasy:

Sorry for poor quality
    Last edited by Silesian_Noble; March 17, 2008 at 02:44 PM.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Pereseczen seems to be Orhei (Orheiul Vechi) - city ruled by Kievians, mongols
    Białogród aka Bilhorod aka Akerman aka Cetatea Alba aka the ancient Tyras (different translations for the same city)
    Iasy is indeed very old

No mate, Białogród is different from Akerman, because I have both these cities on one map, one near another.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Well that's quite strange, because every were I looked Białogród was Akerman aka Cetatea Alba. For example this site;
    http://akkerman.russian.empire.googlepages.com/variousnamesandspellingsofthistown'sname

P.S. Your ideas about Moldova are qute interesting, they need ony too be polished

Doesn't Bialgorod mean "white castle" in Polish (like Belograd?)

In that case, it would be "Cetatea Alba", which means "white castle" in Romanian.

So far this is the list which we will probably choose from for settlements. I'm basing this off maps I have from a book "compendiul istoria romaniei":
    Cities:
    Baia

Suceava
    Rădăuţi
    Vaslui
    Hârlau
    Galaţi

Fortresses
    Chilia
    Târgu Neamt
    Cetatea Albă
    Soroca
    Tighina (Bender)
    Orhei

Very good info about Moldovian Army:

Hmm... I haven't read it fully yet, but I've already found problems from the first sentence. King Louis actually set up Dragos, not Bogdan. Bogdan actually ruled Maramures, until he was forcefully deposed by Hungarian forces, after which he took his army and nobles, and deposed Dragos in 1359, creating an independent Romanian Voievodship. It's also wrong about the origin of the name Moldova, as Molda was not the river, but supposedly, the name of Dragos's hunting dog.

Needless to say, two errors in two sentences, and critical errors as well, do not give me high hopes for this source, but I will read it anyway.

EDIT: Finished reading it. There is some good info, I'll definitely add it, but some overall factual errors etc. make me want to cross-reference the things in this before I add it to the research. For instance, the document between Peter Aron and Mehmed II, asking for 2000 Hungarian crowns as tribute over 3 months, is not a lost document, and nowhere in it does it say Moldavia became a Turkish protectorate. In fact, immideately after it, Peter Aron signed another treaty reaffirming Moldavia's position as a Polish ally and vassal.
    Last edited by Romano-Dacis; March 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

I took it from an internet site, so I don't know the author of these statements. Though I thought it was written nicely, so maybe worth showing here...

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post

In that case, it would be "Cetatea Alba", which means "white castle" in Romanian.

So far this is the list which we will probably choose from for settlements. I'm basing this off maps I have from a book "compendiul istoria romaniei":
    Cities:
    Baia

Suceava
    Rădăuţi
    Vaslui
    Hârlau
    Galaţi

Fortresses
    Chilia
    Târgu Neamt
    Cetatea Albă
    Soroca
    Tighina (Bender)
    Orhei
    About the cities:
    Baia, Suceava, Rădăuţi - all of them are very close on the map. Maybe we should have two provinces - the capitol-city of Baia and the fortress of Suceava(Cetatea Schei)
    Hârlau is too close to Iasi, which is a better location

Soroca, Tighina (Bender), Orhei - maybe only Soroca and Orhei, Tighina is to close to Cetatea Alba
    Also we should put Hotin, to Moldova since cca. 1355 or cetatea Tetina-Cernauti, as the main city of southern Pocutia

I'm a little worried about adding Iasi, because it wasn't mentioned until 50 years after the mod starts. I just don't want to pull a "Bucharest", so to speak, and make a city which doesn't exist on the map. That's why I chose Harlau, which is older and still is geographically separated a bit.

Tighina may be too close to Cetatea Alba, but it was chosen primarily because it helped balance Moldova between North and South. If replace it with Hotin or Cernauti, we wind up with 5 settlements in the North, and 2 in the South, which wouldn't be too good.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

I'm a little worried about adding Iasi, because it wasn't mentioned until 50 years after the mod starts. I just don't want to pull a "Bucharest", so to speak, and make a city which doesn't exist on the map. That's why I chose Harlau, which is older and still is geographically separated a bit.
    It seems that Iasiul is not a "Bucharest" At least according to INSTITUTUL NAŢIONAL AL MONUMENTELOR ISTORICE which lists Iasii as being inhabited since X c.
    http://www.google.ro/search?hl=ro&q=...%83utare&meta=

Thank you for +rep

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Cities:
    Baia
    Suceava
    Rădăuţi
    Vaslui
    Hârlau
    Galaţi

Fortresses
    Chilia
    Târgu Neamt
    Cetatea Albă
    Soroca
    Tighina (Bender)
    Orhei
    It seems too much.
    I don't think it should have more than 5 cities. so Neamt, Baia and Suceava should be in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Well, we obviously aren't going to give Moldova 12 regions!

At most I think we'll have 2 cities and 2 fortresses. That was, at least it's balanced out with Wallachia (who, if I recall correctly, has 5 settlements). I don't personally work on the maps, so I'm not so sure, but rest assured, there won't be one city of the "Moldova" province ;-)

Stefan cel Mare si Sfant

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast