Thread: British Empire - Victoria , need advise/direction

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

Default British Empire - Victoria , need advise/direction

im new to victoria and as the UK im not so sure what my prioritys should be. Where i could expand, how to improve my armies/economy , who i should avoid fighting etc

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: British Empire - Victoria , need advise/direction

Don't fight a continental war.

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Screw the French every chance you get.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

El Brujo's Avatar Campidoctor
    Texas. The greatest state in the C.S. of A.

Eat Africa.

hmm ive considered africa many time, would be great for manpower :-) ive used boers for most of my wars

i want to take burma/thailand/korea/japan again and then take over china, then russia, then scandinavia.

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Training troops of a culture other than your primary or secondaries will result in them rebelling on you more often?
    (question provoked by Marku using boers as soldiers.)

Nutsack's Avatar Primicerius

In my current game as the Netherlands (will posts pics later), the year is 1920. I've recruited thousands of Malayan, Thai, and Javan soldiers and I've never had such a problem.

mayeb its because i got difficulties on lowest, but my soldiers have almost never rebelled.

has anyone made a certain culture purely for war(converting all its people to soldiers) i wondered because i'd like to do that for africa. the land there isnt worth much for trade so why not just use them all up in my wars.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

My advice? Crush America whilst you have the chance, place a couple of cavalry units in Canada and steal the claims and then claim the colonies. Build up a sizeable army and invade. You are richer and have better starting techs than the Americans. Besides, it's British territory.

Colonise at every opportunity.

Actually, my opening move is to build up my army and prepare for the opium war. By going for America, though, you are guaranteed lots of prestige IF you have your units placed properly - cavalry in the vast expanse and infantry on the East coast.

Africa's main value comes in presitge. It is relatively worthless, though I particularly want certain high value products or materials I generally run short of. If you are particularly greedy, Korea is there for the taking but it will result in war with Russia. Not something I would necessarily push for. Korea/Manchuria will provide for all you industrial needs quite easily.
    Last edited by imb39; February 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    Besides, it's British territory.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

New to Victoria?

Don't play as the UK. I've had the game for half a year, play it constantly, never played as the UK. Start out as a small, piddly little nation like Belgium, Brazil, or Portugal.

My personal favourites are Sardinia-Piedmont and Prussia. If you're feeling adventurous, play as them. And crush the French!
    Last edited by Medicus; September 05, 2008 at 07:00 AM.

I tried a new campaign as Morocco. The result probably doesn't need explaining (I got whooped).

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    My advice? Crush America whilst you have the chance, place a couple of cavalry units in Canada and steal the claims and then claim the colonies. Build up a sizeable army and invade. You are richer and have better starting techs than the Americans. Besides, it's British territory.

Colonise at every opportunity.

Actually, my opening move is to build up my army and prepare for the opium war. By going for America, though, you are guaranteed lots of prestige IF you have your units placed properly - cavalry in the vast expanse and infantry on the East coast.

Africa's main value comes in presitge. It is relatively worthless, though I particularly want certain high value products or materials I generally run short of. If you are particularly greedy, Korea is there for the taking but it will result in war with Russia. Not something I would necessarily push for. Korea/Manchuria will provide for all you industrial needs quite easily.
    i agree about crushing the USA, because they become a pain later on and become very powerfu; and hard to defeat. what is worst if u don't give canada its indepedence then the US buys their time and attacks you. plus if u go to war with the US then have France on your side too if you cannot win the war on your own since they have very good land technology and lots troops to assist.

Be weary or Germany too, because their military, becomes very power and they even build up a fleet too. Oh yes and the unification of Germany gives them a enormous rush in industrial power and they can be very threatening and challenge you for global supremacy like the US.

With the british empire i go on the conquest of the ottoman empire and get more resources and manpower and if lucky id take Persia too, so i can have an eastern empire for the wars in the east and lots of oil and the UK forces for european wars, which will be small and focus on industrial build up.

Its better to stay off the continent. Too much **** to put up with.

- King Edward III, 1339

is there a fast way to expand product/factories , ive been doing them all individualy, it takes forever.

edit: same for armies, is there a fast way to disband a whole army with a click?

Quote Originally Posted by Marku View Post
    is there a fast way to expand product/factories , ive been doing them all individualy, it takes forever.

edit: same for armies, is there a fast way to disband a whole army with a click?
    Okay, here's something I only figured out a few days ago.

Set your rich taxes to 0%. They'll earn money super fast, which means they'll start upgrading your railways, building factories, and upgrading factories. It's how I got to #1 in Industrial Capacity as Germany, and #2 as Japan.

Capitalists are the people who improve industry and infrastructure. I haven't noticed a huge change in capitalist efficiency when taxes are low though, so I keep mine at about 33% in my current CSA campaign, which works fine. You want your capitalists to build infrastructure and factories instead of you, because that won't cost you a penny.

Thanks doctor i will try that

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Training troops of a culture other than your primary or secondaries will result in them rebelling on you more often?
    (question provoked by Marku using boers as soldiers.)
    This is indeed because you are using troops that are not a national culture. Use generals that increase the "reliability" factor. check the actual POP which the soldiers are drawn from, if they have a conflicting idealogy, have just recently been subjugated, or a myriad of other factors raising their militancy which I believe lowers the reliability.