Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EU3 has ruined total war for me

Gunslinger-52's Avatar Civis

Default EU3 has ruined total war for me

Has anyone else found it hard to play any total war game after playing a paradox game. I got this game two weeks ago and ever since i got past the learning curve its been a blast. it is a revelation to have allies that actually help me in a war.
    the main thing that bugs me now when i play any total war game is the campaign map. it just seems so lifeless compared to EU3. anyone else feel the same way?
    Currently reading,
    Aubrey-Maturin novels, by Patrick O'Brian
    The Forgotten War, by Clay Blair
    Complimentary Quote
    "We must not lose our heads in misfortune"-Peter the Great after his main army was nearly annihilated by the swedes at the battle of Narva.

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: EU3 has ruined total war for me

Yeh.
    It seems pointless to engage in diplomacy or espionage in a TW game after playing a paradox game.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

agreed, i cant touch RTW/MTW2 lately since i got these paradox games :O

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Otherside's Avatar Ordinarius

imagine a mix of EU and Totalwar..........

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

What ??????????!!!!!!!!!!! Games where you have only message screens ? Good god ! Please explain what's the pleasure in there?!

Whats a paradox game?

A game from the "Paradox" company .

I initially felt the same, but after some months small things in EU3 started to annoy me too. Its AI and diplomacy are far from perfect, still miles better than Total War though. Guess I'm difficult to please.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

ai is the major problem i have with the tw games in comparison to eu3 (i mean diplomatic stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    ai is the major problem i have with the tw games in comparison to eu3 (i mean diplomatic stuff)
    And ?

yxc qwert!'s Avatar Centenarius

Paradox Games are FAAAR better. I haven't played M2TW since I got HoI2 and Victoria
    REMOVE KEBAB FROM PREMISES

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

Well I have to admit I haven't played a TW game since Kingdoms was released (I played all campaigns for about 3 hours each and then removed it from my comp) but have played, literally, days worth of either EUIII or HoI2. It's also the case that once you have played a Multiplayer EUIII game the single player becomes dull and boring. I may have to try a few mods at some point but until then I have HoI2.

TW is a better looking game but the gameplay and depth just hasn't been the same since Med I (after which they sold out to the masses (IMO of course)). I do hope they make Empire as diverse as the period should be but I shall hold reservation until I have played it. I no doubt will be playing Paradox's Rome a lot longer than Empire TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    And ?
    and what?

you post to complain about smth everybody painfully knows .Can't you add smth specific ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    you post to complain about smth everybody painfully knows .Can't you add smth specific ?
    this is a thread about why EU3 is superior to the tw games. I just posted a reason why this is the case; thats not 'complaining', dracula. Why do i need to expand on it exactly when everyone "painfully knows" the situation?

But anyway, if u must know (eventho u already do..): Lack of diplomacy options on tw games, lack of ai in it (theyjust attack when they feel like it, they never honour alliances and so forth they just betray - such is not the case in EU3; its more realistic. Allies will actually attempt to help u and will not always abandon u and its even less likely they just straight out attack u for no reason whatsoever.) eu3 had a proper relationship system so u knew where u stood with people and how likely it was that something would succeed - now i know m2 added that stuff but it didnt tell u why things were apparently so outrageous, why u had such a bad relationship all of a sudden (it would just randomly change most of the time and was irrelevant too because they would attack u even with the best relationship as an ally)

Maybe now u can cool that attitude of yours down a little - unless u r some major tw fanboy or something and are just here to troll a thread?

Well of course after youve played total war games for months or even a year that a game with improved diplomacy will appeal to you. What total war really needs to add is a system of
    You and Allies being able to merge armies together and set them on a pre-path to enemy cities/armies

Enemies actually realizing their weaker, and fearing you and submitting into vassalage or at least not backstabbing you

A more complex system of relationship and random evennts that you can have

after that Total war games will beat europa universalis hands down .
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

The goal of the AI, first and foremost, in TW games, is to destroy the player, regardless of relations or military.
    In games by paradox, the AI wars with others based on numerous things, including but not limited to opportunism, relations, territorial claims, honoring alliances, "liberating" provinces of like culture or religion from foreign religions or cultures (the AI does seek to control territories of the same culture to my understanding).

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    Well of course after youve played total war games for months or even a year that a game with improved diplomacy will appeal to you. What total war really needs to add is a system of
    You and Allies being able to merge armies together and set them on a pre-path to enemy cities/armies

Enemies actually realizing their weaker, and fearing you and submitting into vassalage or at least not backstabbing you

A more complex system of relationship and random evennts that you can have

after that Total war games will beat europa universalis hands down .
    Ok so basically when they *become* paradox games they will beat them...

green tea's Avatar Ducenarius

I have not played yet EU3 or other Paradox games. I play TW because of the battles. With the diplomacy in the mod I now play I am satisfied enough (Broken Crescent). What is with battles in EU3? Is it just about diplomacy?

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by green tea View Post
    I have not played yet EU3 or other Paradox games. I play TW because of the battles. With the diplomacy in the mod I now play I am satisfied enough (Broken Crescent). What is with battles in EU3? Is it just about diplomacy?
    Paradox takes a more "realistic" view of warfare than TW in my opinion...you don't really have any control over the way battles go...thus there's no chance for the AI to screw it up. Not to mention the sheer number of battles that can happen...it's simply not feasible.

Diplomacy is a big part of EU3. The number of things you can do is something TW has never matched.
    You can take a one province german minor state and make into a trading empire, and get into the colonial game, or use your newfound finances to dominate the other german states, or get yourself elected holy roman emperor, or become the papal controller (not hard if you have cash)...

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger-52 View Post
    Has anyone else found it hard to play any total war game after playing a paradox game. I got this game two weeks ago and ever since i got past the learning curve its been a blast. it is a revelation to have allies that actually help me in a war.
    the main thing that bugs me now when i play any total war game is the campaign map. it just seems so lifeless compared to EU3. anyone else feel the same way?
    Very, very much so. After playing EU3 I find it very hard to play total war games, unless the campaign is Britannia, as the map is very well done and the AI is decent. But yeah, I totally agree, the map in Med2 is just sickening. I take a look at Scotland and uninstall. Not to mention lack of provinces (Ireland only has one, England 3 (?), Scotland 2..
    Last edited by King Edward III; February 06, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast