Thread: War on too many fronts?

Default War on too many fronts?

I'm currently playing as the Mamluks (also have a save game that I haven't really played as Hedjaz) and I started out at war with Trebinzor and Georgia (have conquered and annexed both). I was just minding my own business while looking over the campaign map, I saw Poland move in and grab Sunni provinces in a land grab over in my direction (I have Hedjaz, future Iraq, Hedjaz and Ottomans as neighbors) so I created a couple armies, secured military access and marched on over to declare war on Poland. When I did, Poland, Lithuania, Austria, Ottomans, Wallchalia (sp?) all declared war on me. I also lost favor with Hedjaz (who I've proclaimed a guarantee on to protect Mecca and Medina) and the future Iraqis.

Is there a way to declare war and take on the grand alliance without losing favor with everyone? (or if I'm so sworn to protecting and can't bring myself to attack Mecca and Medina should I just be Hedjaz?)

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: War on too many fronts?

Can you post a picture?? It seems that your immediately concern is Ottoman only. May be you can conquer Asia Minor first then shift to defence.

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

well, atleast you'll be getting that military tradition you know, to be able to hire the best generals
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There's my kingdom atm, I loaded my last auto-save (before the war with Dulkadir and Ottomans) so right now I'm fighting (and struggling) to get a foothold in Europe against Poland. I've still got military access rights with the Ottomans, but as you can see, I've got 2 provinces which are left out to dry and isolated.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Just forget Poland, focus your force on other neighbours since Poland would not even threaten you immediately.

Otherside's Avatar Ordinarius

malmuks tend to be to poor and to weak to contend with Christian powers even Poland you need to take Arabia and Algeria then go for ottomans before going for mainland Europe.

ok, any way to get Mecca and Medina w/o actually attacking? Can i take Jeddah and Hedjaz's other province and force vassillation?

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Play as the Ottomans instead, they're a lot cooler.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

At the moment what you need to do is ignore Europe all together.

Instead focus on Saudi Arabia and the Horn of Africa.

Have a "Quest for the New World" as an NI then march against the africans.

Reasons for it.

Well
    1. They are technologically inferior to you.

2. It's nice and out of the way.
    Which means you can conquer it without your allies taking territory that you want.

3. Money. Ivory is everywhere.

4. The extra manpower can really help in an war.

5. Most regions are Sunni, which helps prevent rebels and allows you to rake in that ivory money much more effectively.

Keep in mind that the Mamluks are a tribal faction, so will never be able to compete with the other factions in the late game.
    So do you best to conquer now, before it's too late.

----

A good faction to try is the Timurids as they are all about conquest.
    Even though they are a tribal faction, they can form the Mughal Empire and become a Monarchy, which takes away the tribal tech penalty.

Which is nice.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

ok, I'll march on Africa then, and supposing I could somehow switch governments to a republic or a non-tribal form of gov't, will that also take away the tribal tech penalty?

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

It will.

But the Mamluks can't change from a tribal government.

At least, I don't think so?
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

ok thanks, I'll check it out, if I can't change, just hoping there's another eastern non-Bedouin faction to use

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

You need an extremely rare event to fire to go from Tribalism to a Despotic Monarchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence of Arabia View Post
    You need an extremely rare event to fire to go from Tribalism to a Despotic Monarchy.
    Any suggestions then before I get to involved then? Maybe another faction? I'm really in awe at your Iraq campaign but it looks like you need NA and DV to be Iraq.

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by polleb View Post
    Any suggestions then before I get to involved then? Maybe another faction? I'm really in awe at your Iraq campaign but it looks like you need NA and DV to be Iraq.
    You can mod Iraq into your own game if you'd like. You can download factions at the Paradox forums.

In your present game, I'd try and attack Qara Koyunulu if you have DV. That will give you a large amount of territory. Don't be afraid to hire a lot of mercs and raise minting.

Is Qara Koyunulu a tribalist faction? If not, you can do very well with DV with them, they are also Shiite. It's a blessing when your stability doesn't go down once in 200+ years.

Heck, you might be able to do well with them even if they are stuck in the tribalism government group. If you take out the Arab states in the peninsula, and ally with either the Timurids or Mamlukes, you should do fine.

If you want to play as a Sunni faction, you could try Morocco.

If it doesn't matter to you, you could start as Japan and use DV and QftNW as your first two NI's.
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Cool thanks! I'm reading over the modding tutorial for nations right now.
    Last edited by So Much Fire; February 09, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

23000 manpower and 67000 ducats in the late 15th century? CHEATER YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE! LOL

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    23000 manpower and 67000 ducats in the late 15th century? CHEATER YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE! LOL
    LOL! wanted a quick game!!