Thread: The legionary_name for EB

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Icon9 The legionary_name for EB

My question is: Why doesn't Legionary_name work in eb, and is there some way to implement it?

The reason for my question:

I haven't tried to mod RTw before, but since i started playing EB I'm totaly stuck in the game again, and thinking of making some kind of legionary mod for EB.

I started with trying to implement the legionary_name thing in vanilla rtw from BI, with Grreat success! Then I tried to implement it in Alexander, since I'm playing eb with alex.exe. Unfortunately the structure of the alexander directory is pretty strange, so I couldn't make it work on the alex campaign.
    But playing the vanilla rtw with alex.exe clearly shows it works in alexander too. Then I thought I was ready and started with EB.

EB didn't like that. The units showed only "legio" in the name and when I tried some "creative modding" the game finally broke.
    I reinstalled everthing and tried both the alex.exe bi.exe and the rtw.exe, but nothing changed.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The legionary_name for EB

No need to answer, it was the "descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt" needed to be moved.

Should you tell what you done in order to get the legio names working ?

If its only an add into edu then the "descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt" moved ?

Thanks.

I, too, would like to know the instructions to add Legionary names to EB 1.0.

Thanks in advance!
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Okay, well this is what I did. If it doesn't work, I can go and take another look.

In the end I only did the First and the third step, but only the "legion:" part in Rome, and made the first cohorts only recruitable in Rome. This way, the First cohorts are Named only Legio I, II, III, etc etc to eternity.

If you want a Fully named Legion, "Legio I Italica", the do all the steps.

1. Put the Legionary_name tag in the attribute field for the unit you want in the "export_descr_unit.txt" file.

2. You open the "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" in the Text map, and put if you want units in Ariminum to have the legion name Italica, You write it so it looks like this.

{Ariminum} Ariminum
    {Italica} Italica

Remember to put the new name under a City name, not a province name.

3. Now yoy have to go to the EB\Data\world\maps\base map and open the "DESCR_REGIONS.TXT"
    Here you have to insert a Legion:[legion name], like this:

Umbria
    Legion: Italica
    Ariminum
    seleucid
    Roma_Umbria
    198 43 13
    pottery, olive_oil, wine, navyport, italy, smallfleet, SW, B, n1, y2, y4, n8, city
    4. Now you have to go to the "EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign" map, copy the file
    "descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt" file, and put it in the "EB\Data\world\maps\base" map.

Why you have to do this is because the original EB map structure is based on vanilla Rome, and BI have a slightly different setup.

5. Once you copied the "descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt" file to the right place you open it. Here you search for the cityname you want, and right under it you simply write the wanted legion name.

Lepki
    Gader
    Ariminum
    ITALICA
    Patavium
    ITALICA
    Vindelicoppidos....

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

And you probably have to delete the map.wrm, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the quick reply!

+REP for you
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

No problem at all! thanks for the rep

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Is there a way you can upload your file. I barely have time to play EB let alone toy around with it...sadly

Thanks and great work.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

thelord's Avatar Senator

yeh is it possible you could make an installer so it overwrites the files for us? Im a total idiot when it comes to modding and I dont want to break my EB save (i'm at 84 BC so its a lot of work lol)

Also I use the BI.exe, will it work with that?

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

No problem , I can do it later this weekend.

@Thelord: yes, You can use it with BI.exe. It works with any .exe file.

thelord's Avatar Senator

nice thanks a lot mate

will this work on the rtw.exe and if I have a campiagn goin and I put this in will of crash, and is this for 1.1
    Last edited by GreekGlory; April 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Sweet!

I was just looking at the Roma Surrectum mod, and just dreaming about how cool it would be to have their style of legion naming in EB!

And it's already been done!

+rep

Any updates on this?

thelord's Avatar Senator

Yeh I would love to see this released.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

I'm sorry for my silence, real life had me hooked for some time but now its' cool.

The legionary name feature works with any exe, any version of any mod whatsoever, it's integrated in the source code of the game(I think).
    I think the eb team had the same idea for named legions in 1.1, but didn't implement it.

The truth is that I only added legionary_name tag in the edu and a Legion: in the Descr_region. This will name the first cohort Legio I, legio II etc etc with no cognomen. This is exactly what i wanted since it the feature counts from zero in every province. So if you want a Legio XII Pussycat dolls you will have to train twelve first cohorts in that province.