Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What multiplayer army compositions are considered "Lame" (ie Overpowered and cheesy)?

Default What multiplayer army compositions are considered "Lame" (ie Overpowered and cheesy)?

I'd just like to know... I play this game in the interest of fun and I'd hate for my opponents to think I'm a cheezball because a given army composition was notoriously overpowered.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: What multiplayer army compositions are considered "Lame" (ie Overpowered and cheesy)?

Lets see...Urban Cohort/Roman auxiliary archers/Praetorian Cavalry is considered OP, all spartan/cretan army is WAY OP and lame, egypt's famous- pharoah's bowmen/guards and chariot army is pretty OP but it is used alot.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: What multiplayer army compositions are considered "Lame" (ie Overpowered and cheesy)?

Also, if you have Seleucids with elephants, artillery, chariots and cataphracts, that's OP, as is Parthians with cataphracts, artillery, elephants and mounted archers.

I haven't played that much multiplayer but I think the carthaginian sacred band and ele combo is op as well.
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

Depends on the money that you are playing for. I think most of us have faced the all elephant or all cata armies at some point and they are seriously cheesy
    If at first you don't succeed destroy any evidence that you tried

"Here within the folds of my toga hang peace or war"
    "Which shall you choose Carthage peace or war"----- Fabius Maximus
    "You say Fabius let rome decide"-----Carthage temple of the elders
    ................WAR.......Fabius Maximus

I've chosen all cataphract armies a few times (10k denarii). I didn't know they were cheesy Oh well, my opponents (who lost in every case) were good sports and didnt tell me off for it.

see, thats what i made this thread for

To be honest at 10k that sort of thing is not really a problem as most good players will beat that type of set up
    I was talking about the 1,000,000 denari people who use fully upped elephants etc and accuse you of cheating when 3 units of 200 denari pigs send them back to mummy

piranha45 only plays at 10k denarii, per tourny specifications.

I remember the first game I played online, I entered a game and he told me cwb rules, I had no ****ing idea what that was but started anyways, we deployed our troops and started the battle, the first thing he said was, I take you don't know what cwb rules are, my army was made up of 8 catas and 8 ha, I didn't even know how to chat ingame , that was kind of embarrassing, and unfair, I still lost .
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

One of my first games online I entered a 3 v 3 the total money was 45k per team, being a complete idiot I spent all the 45k myself
    Strangely I got kicked

I think I won my first couple of games. Against people who expected to catch my horse archers with cataphracts, and a guy who fielded 3 gladiators, 3 praetorians and 3 archers. Hmm.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I lost my first ever online game, but I've had a pretty good winning streak otherwise, except for once when I was Pontus and my ally was Germania vs Brutii and a Greek army completely made up of Spartan Hoplites.

Civis

hi piranha,

Is certainly does depend on money, however a couple of armies stand out.

At high money, its definetely the spartan spam. This is the only army that i have found i cant counter, in the hands of an even semi decent player. i.e a full stack of spartans, fully upped are nigh on impossible to beat with any other army, unless of course they simply sit there and let you bombard them with onagers or the like.

I think that all other spams can be countered, maybe not if a general suprises you with it, but if you know its coming, everything but the spartan spam is beatable.

The ele spam, or cata spam can be tough, but you just have to make sure you choose an army with good spears and its not too bad. Try it, get a full ele stack against only 12 or 13 spartans, hoplites, sacred band, silver sheild ....and others of same/similar class and you may be surprised by how easily the eles die. Not quite as straight forward against catas, but 1 on 1, a good spear unit, facing catas will win.

At mid and low money, spartans completely lose their power, primarily due to their cost. I think i can safely say that in low money, 12.5 and under, Eygpt have a distinct advantage over other factions, with Pontus a close 2nd. This is due to having cheap archers, great chariots and chariot archers. Low money battles are often dominated by missles...so like my tourny win of selfiater the other day, an archers spam i consider to be a bit lame. Sorry Self Prince is one of the only people to permantly stick to the no rules scenario, so spams of any kind are not so common these days. i.e max 6 of any unit is a frequently seen rule...and may i add...quite a good one in my opinion.
    HOpe to see you online pirhana and we can get some games in.
    Oman

Ha! I'll have my revenge when I use my beloved Scythians, which people consider lame in any form. Last three games, all players exited before the battle ended because they had only infantry left. At least I got some Heroic Victory's
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

its shameful to witness.........to the end being beaten, by "lame" factions, like Scythia, Dacia, Iberia, Numidia,...............its better to commit computer sempukku, hitting the Alt F4 button

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

I don't mind Scythians spamming HAs or Greeks spamming Hoplites since they're historically-accurate.

What I consider lame is an army composed entirely of Chariot Archers (with a few melee Chariots thrown into the mix).
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    I don't mind Scythians spamming HAs or Greeks spamming Hoplites since they're historically-accurate.
    I wouldnt mind fighting a HA spammer on a heavily wooded battlefield. But since the only two arenas I've seen used are Syrian Flats and Grassy Flatland, I think anyone since Marcus Crassus would opt to avoid them.

Thanks for the great post, Oman! That's some great stuff to know. I've only been playing 10k denarii, no rules, because that's what Prince's tournies feature. I like playing as the 'lousy' factions even though I typically get butchered because of it.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by piranha45 View Post
    I wouldnt mind fighting a HA spammer on a heavily wooded battlefield. But since the only two arenas I've seen used are Syrian Flats and Grassy Flatland, I think anyone since Marcus Crassus would opt to avoid them.
    Alexander the Great didn't have any trouble against HA spam
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    Alexander the Great didn't have any trouble against HA spam
    And he also took over big parts of the knows world but that doesn't mean we can do the same

Nah, he was just a wannabee-any-single-one-of-us, we can do much better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast