Thread: Campaign length

Icon5 Campaign length

Do you ever plan to release a version of this mod which isn't 0.5 years per turn? Say 1 or 1.5? I'd like to try the mod, but I don't envisage ever having the time to complete a campaign that takes as long as this, sadly.

Default Re: Campaign length

Hi DrJambo,

The timescale is 0.5 turns in my mod, and the campaign starts in 1180 and ends at 1400. So thats 440 turns to achieve your victory conditions. I am using the same timescale from RTW since thats what this total war game was originally designed for. Two turns for each year and two seasons. Generals and other characters age correctly and you get the best out of your factions heroes. Its a lot lot more fun, and although 0.5 turns sounds like to much, it really isn't. Honestly you can play this mod and have a great time, it does not drag on at all. And you might even win your campaign before anywhere near 200 turns are played.

best
    Dave

Ah, ok, that doesn't sound too long. I take it the various events, including Mongols, Timurids, Gunpowder and the Americas have all been scaled accordingly?

Excuse my ignorance in this question (I've been out of the TW scene and modding for a while now), but wouldn't 1 turn per year make the generals and characters age correctly?

Edit: ignore last question - realised the answer myself. lol.

Cheers
    Last edited by DrJambo; January 31, 2008 at 07:13 AM.

Yes the events script has been completely redone to fit 0.5 turns. The first core game event mongols_invasion_warn takes place after only 40 turns (20 years). This is because the start date of the campaign, and the mongol hordes usually wonder around doing nothink for the first 50 turns they appear.. The gunpowder event happens 75 years in, thats about 150 turns. And also every event position has been changed so that it occurs at the proper Bigmap coordinates.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; January 31, 2008 at 07:52 AM.

Ok, that's good.

One other point on timescales. With the 0.5 years/turn and the proper ageing of generals, do you find yours or the AI's family trees getting rather light on members as they get killed off. Obviously it will take 4 times as long for an heir to mature with this timescale and we all know how notoriously bad the AI is at keeping his generals alive from one battle to the next.

I remember one thing I did in the past was significantly reduce the morale of the bodyguards units. The reasoning behind this was to get AI generals to rout when they should, i.e. when the rest of his force was routing, instead of staying and battling to the last man.
    Last edited by DrJambo; January 31, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

One other point on timescales. With the 0.5 years/turn and the proper ageing of generals, do you find yours or the AI's family trees getting rather light on members as they get killed off. Obviously it will take 4 times as long for an heir to mature with this timescale and we all know how notoriously bad the AI is at keeping his generals alive from one battle to the next.
    Yes it does take longer for new family members to come of age in my mod, I don't deny that

So err.. you better get those princesses to start making lots of babies fast.

Dave