Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger map = more field battles or more sieges?

Icon5 Bigger map = more field battles or more sieges?

Hi Dave,

Quick query regarding your mod.

One of the issues I always had with vanilla was the tendency for the majority of battles to be siege. This was due to the small map and the general close proximity of settlements to each other, which obviously got even more so after roads were built.

So, how does your bigger map effect this? Is it bigger with more provinces all jammed together, or just bigger with more land in-between settlements? I'm really hoping it tends towards the latter, as I'm kind of frustrated with playing out battle after battle with the less than adequate siege AI.

Regards

Default Re: Bigger map = more field battles or more sieges?

If one were wanting to solely install the bigger map from your mod, how would one do this? Are there just a few files one has to copy across? I appreciate the map.rwm has to be deleted.

Hi DrJambo,

Yes the distances between settlements in my mod are much much wider. However I have given the AI higher movement points in my mod, to help it attack better. Starting_action_points are at 110 atm, but you can decrease this as you wish. I would also like to point out that this is not even necessary though to avoid endless siege battles.

I use a very simple trick when I play this game if I don't feel like fighting siege battles. First leave 1 unit just outside your settlement. When the AI attacks it has to attack the unit outside or lay siege. If it attacks the settlement, attack with the 1 unit and then your garrison will arrive as a reinforcement army to fight a field battle. A very simple trick but very very good at avoiding siege battles

About using my map for your own mod, I think the best way to do this would be use my mod as your base and make your own mod changes to my mod. But I am sure you will do it whatever way you like.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I really like the sound of the bigger map then, although from what you say, it sounds like trying to install just the map might be too difficult a task.

One tip for improving campaign AI - remove rebel/brigand spawning. It distracts the AI by causing it to send stacks all round its countryside to chase down these pitiful rebel armies.

One tip for improving campaign AI - remove rebel/brigand spawning. It distracts the AI by causing it to send stacks all round its countryside to chase down these pitiful rebel armies.
    Thanks Jambo, that sounds like a very good idea indeed. Which file do I make this change in I forget? Rebel armies are really not needed in this mod anyway.

Dave

Now, if I recall correctly I think the code that controls brigands spawning is at the start of the descr_strat, beside the pirate stuff. Think one can just comment it out (i.e. using a ";").
    Last edited by DrJambo; January 31, 2008 at 07:18 AM.

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

please Dave
    don't remove them because they cause more trouble to player this make game harder i don't want to play an easy mod(if mod easy i better play the vannila)
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

Hmmm rebels hardly ever seem to trouble me as a player at all, I hardly think this will make my mod to easy :hmmm:Infact it should make the AI more focused on what it really needs to do.

Dave

I wouldn't have ever classed the brigands as tough on the human! They're usually small stacks consisting of poor quality units, e.g. peasants, and a human is more likely to use these spawned rebels as a way to train generals or achieve a man of the hour event. If anything they're an exploit.

If spawned brigands moved and combined with other rebel stacks to attack cities, etc, and consisted of tough units, then yes I might agree with you.

so just make the rebel have heavy unit like knight or st like that with large amount (the amount of rebel depend on the happy of town in this location)

But rebels and brigands don't have a worthwhile function. They just spawn and camp in the same spot. The worst they do is occasionally block trade routes and create minor devastation. There's no event to alert you to their presence or what impact they're having on your economy and so half the time they go unnoticed. Come the mid-to late-game when you're controlling 20+ cities, they're nothing more than a micromanagement pain in the ass having to mop the stacks up turn after turn. Whether they're tough or weak is almost immaterial. If they moved and attacked and acted just like an enemy faction, it would be a different matter.

i agree with you now
    but if remove the rebel will make trade become easy
    i have a idea let's remove the rebel but keep the pirates
    the pirates work very good and they are strong in the beginning (play as scotland i lost all ship because their att in turn 2)

Indeed, I don't see the same problem with pirates at all. It's only brigands that detract from AI plans.
    Last edited by DrJambo; January 31, 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Yes, it's in the descr_strat. I see no use for rebels, even if stronger, because as have said Dr Jumbo, they haven't any active role in the campaign. And brigands armies with heavy knights it isn't very realistic. For making game harder, there is only one way, make the AI more clever, and this mod did it.

@Blackader,

Do you think this mod is difficult enough? and should I ramp up the win conditions for each faction even more? That is to say factions that currently need 40 regions for victory would require 50 instead and so on.

Dave

Done! brigands now disabled and pirate spawns reduced.

marian_reforms_disabled
    rebelling_characters_active
    gladiator_uprising_disabled
    night_battles_enabled
    show_date_as_turns
    ;brigand_spawn_value 65
    pirate_spawn_value 40
    free_upkeep_forts 2

thanks all

Dave

The spawn values in descr_strat.txt:
    brigand_spawn_value 20
    pirate_spawn_value 28

Change the numbers up for less rebel attacks. A first instinct would be to lower the number, but that will only cause more rebels to pop up. Just tought you'd like to know.

Edit:
    Can you safely remove the brigand_spawn_value like that?

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    @Blackader,

Do you think this mod is difficult enough? and should I ramp up the win conditions for each faction even more? That is to say factions that currently need 40 regions for victory would require 50 instead and so on.

Dave
    It's difficult enough I think, the main problem in vanilla was the AI making full stacks with peasants, archers, artillery or sometimes spearmens. Thanks to your mod, they are good AI armies, and the garrison script make the final touch. 50 regions is reachable since you have the big map and more regions, but I like take my time, buid good armies and beautifull cities before launch a general attack, so 40 or 45 regions is enough for me to have a good game. I hated vanilla because I was always forced to take a lot of regions very hurry at the end of the game.
    PS: Some of the factions should take Jerusalem to win, but it will surely force to fight against KOJ. it isn't a pity to see christians kingdoms attacking the OutreMer rempart? But on the other hand it's make a final difficulty.
    re-PS: do you think that you will relase your update today?

@pwijnands,

Thanks for the heads up mate, I better put the pirate spawn back up then lol..

@Blackader

Good point, this is only okay if a muslim faction takes control of Jerusalem I guess. After the Holy Land the next major target for the crusaders would be Cairo then. With Constantinople for Hungary, Venice, Sicily, and Milan.

And I know all you addicts cannot wait a day longer for this patch But I don't want to rush this, all I can say is I will try to release it for the weekend.

best regards
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; January 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM.

Can you safely remove the brigand_spawn_value like that?
    On second thoughts I don't think I will disable it completely, but set it to very high instead. I just had a rebel brigand army spawn next to Krak de Chavaliers on turn 2, so it seems this did not work anyway.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast