Thread: Hey guys...

Default Hey guys...

Hey guys dont laugh, but i was thinking how do you actually make a mod? i dont meen like the scripting and moddeling, i meen like where you save it and stuff like that once you have modded everything, how can you share it?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hey guys...

Well, I guess the best place to start would be here.

Once you've got that sorted you can take your pic as to what you want to mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojf View Post
    Hey guys dont laugh, but i was thinking how do you actually make a mod? i dont meen like the scripting and moddeling, i meen like where you save it and stuff like that once you have modded everything, how can you share it?
    You replace or change the game files.

When you double a units stats and save it... then when you play the game it'll have double stats. When you replace its model, ingame it'll have a new model. You then copy the files you changed/added into a new and then zip it... and release it as a zip or an installer for download so (in theory) you and your mod players will be playing the same version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojf View Post
    Well if you want to share it with folks, you need to get some advertising out there so people know that you have something to offer them. make sure that you give a decent idea of what you mod is, why people should download it, and where they can get it from. A friendly word or two on how to install the mod is also helpful as well as some pictures to preview your modifications. If writing is not your forte, you can always ask someone to help edit and write out a little blurb for you as well.

You do not necessarily need an installer for you mod, but these can be helpful if you have the time and the know-how to build one. I've played many mods however that are just zipped or rarred into an archive and unpack themselves into the mod folder easily enough.

I suggest for a smaller mod a file sharing site like Filefront, Mediafire, Megaupload &c. For larger mods, you may want to think about asking the Org or the TWC to upload it for you. The best option of course would be to have your own space, but we cannot all have such things.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard