Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical Events

Default Historical Events

like this mod is based on events, you can see or post events regarding the factions ONLY ingame!!

events must between 1095 - 1545 AD and the events must be posted by faction, since the player later ill only see the events regarding the choosed faction (to play with).

Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Default Re: Historical Events

I was wondering. How do we determine the national events after some times in the game passes and, for instance, England ends up owning all of France, then it is logical they get the French national events also, right?
    By the way, is the timescale 2 turns per year?
    Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
    Ubi vino proxima morientis ori.

Well this ill only show the events regarding the faction you're only, doesn't matter if you own the whole europe or not

time scale is 1 turn per year !

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    Well this ill only show the events regarding the faction you're only, doesn't matter if you own the whole europe or not

time scale is 1 turn per year !
    Ok, then I'll start researching the events for each faction, as soon as I'm done with the faction family trees etc.

Won't the 1 turn per year affect the reality in character aging? I thought it's hardcoded that the characters age on the basis of 1 year in 2 turn.

jimmy spong's Avatar Campidoctor

fall of constantinopole , ottomans in europe , hapsburgs at throne of hre , events of portugese expeditions and henry's stuff , 30 years war , reformations in church and anglican and protestant church etc , oh , thousands of them could fit

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Off the top off my heard as for some events that regarding the period of the mod:

-Hundred Year Wars between France and England
    -The conflict between Fredrick II and Pope(siege of Rome)
    -Hulagu Khan's sacking of Baghdad
    -The revolt and rise of the Mamluks to power in Egypt.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Quote Originally Posted by Salah al-Din View Post
    Ok, then I'll start researching the events for each faction, as soon as I'm done with the faction family trees etc.

Won't the 1 turn per year affect the reality in character aging? I thought it's hardcoded that the characters age on the basis of 1 year in 2 turn.

actually theres already a script regarding this

also i appreciate alot your help,but please added the faction (before the event)

i.e :

England (year) - the king ....... bla bla bla
    HRE (year) - The Fall of..........

ill be alot more easy for us added on campaign script

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Quote Originally Posted by Salah al-Din View Post
    By the way, is the timescale 2 turns per year?
    Must admit I always prefer 2 turns per year

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

jimmy spong's Avatar Campidoctor

yes but an army would then need 2 years to get from constantinopolis to thessalonika for example ? bit unrealistic if you ask me it is half a year per turn

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy spong View Post
    yes but an army would then need 2 years to get from constantinopolis to thessalonika for example ? bit unrealistic if you ask me it is half a year per turn

you can get round that by tuning the movment points per turn, to yout years per turn

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

King Yngvar's Avatar Senator

Are you guys planning to make events have an actual effect or is it just going to be a bunch of text with no relevance to the gameplay. Because I have seen mods with such an event as for example "pope urban II calls for a crusade against the holy land" in 1096 without an actual crusade in game being called. Meaning the event is worthless.

Not only that, but characters only age 6 months per turn, so in order to make the progress of years fit to the aging progress of the characters, 6 months per turn makes more sense.
    Last edited by King Yngvar; February 02, 2008 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Yngvar View Post
    I have seen mods with such an event as for example "pope urban II calls for a crusade against the holy land" in 1096 without an actual crusade in game being called. Meaning the event is worthless.
    I wouldn't call that event worthless, it's an important happening; that said alot of the events will have effects I think. But whether it's possible to script an event to cause a crusade, I don't know.
    in vita mea

well the events ill be classified in 2:

1 - just Informative
    2 - Direct Intervention on Campaign (Crusades,Economic,Religious)...

Quote Originally Posted by Mattius View Post
    . But whether it's possible to script an event to cause a crusade, I don't know.
    It isnt unfortunatley I have spoken about this before with Grneyedvl, and he confirmed there is no suitable trigger

some people may ask for it, because the crusades campaign, but in reallity the "crusades" are simple reinforcements sent into certain location (like mongols invasion,timurids...) , because the crusades are hardcoded!

I'm working on the events and here are the first results. What do you think? Suggestions are welcome.

I have it but I don't have time to sort it by Factions, so if you wont it I'll post it here.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Quote Originally Posted by tzar View Post
    I have it but I don't have time to sort it by Factions, so if you wont it I'll post it here.
    Of course, every help is welcome

Overall Events
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• 1098 Cistercian Order founded by St. Robert at Citeaux, Burgundy, to protest Benedictine extravagance; they eat once a day and do not adorn their monasteries. It grows to a loose federation of 500 abbeys.
    • 1100 Europe began using paper (via Moorish Spain) which had been invented in China in 100 AD
    • 1113 Military order of Knights Hospitallers (Knights of St. John) founded by crusaders in Jerusalem
    • 1118 Military order of Knights Templars founded by crusaders in Jerusalem
    • 1180 Rudders first used on ships in Europe
    • 1184 Paris is the first European city to have city paving
    • 1190 Compass introduced in Europe
    • 1200s The bill of exchange appears along with the first bankers in Italy
    • 1200 Arabaic numerals replace Roman numerals in Europe
    • 1209 St. Francis of Assisi founds the Franciscan Order (Grey Friars), son of a prosperous businessman who gave away his possessions, emphasizing poverty and humility.
    • 1216 St Dominic de Guzman founds the Dominican Order (Black Friars), advocates the Rosary
    • 1225 Cotton manufacturing established in Spain
    • 1231 The Inquisition begins as Pope Gregory IX assigns Dominicans responsibility for combating heresy. It began with the Albigensians in Toulouse. Accused were given one month to recant, then were tortured into confession. Usual punishments were fines and imprisonment (occasionally burning at the stake
    • 1233 Coal is mined in Newcastle, England
    • 1260 Toll roads are built in England
    • 1271-1295 Marco Polo of Venice travels to China to Shangdu (also known as Xanadu), Mongol ruler Kublai Khan’s summer capital. From there he continued to Kublai’s new city of Daidu, today part of Beijing. He lives in the court of Kublai Khan until 1292, returns to Venice (1295) and writes his Travels
    • 1282 Eyeglasses invented by Alessandro di Spina in Florence – extending the productive period of men’s lives
    • 1283 Salting fish is used in the Netherlands to preserve them
    • 1300 Rhinelanders are the first Europeans to cast iron
    • 1310s Guns and grenades are introduced into Europe
    • 1320 The Hourglass is used in Europe
    • 1321 Dante Alighieri writes The Divine Comedy in Italian
    • 1325 Iron Cannons are use. Bronze cannons soon follow, and cast-iron cannons in the 1400s. This promotes the authority of kings, who could afford them
    • 1325 Steel Crossbows are introduced to Europe
    • 1328 Sawmill invented, spurs shipbuilding
    • 1330 Longbows are used in Wales
    • 1340 Shipboard guns are used at the Battle of Sluys between England and France
    • 1340 Naval victory at Sluys gives England the command of the English Channel
    • 1345 The Ottomans enter Europe to assist the Byzantine emperor in a civil war
    • 1346 Stephen Dushan, King of the Serbs, is crowned “Emperor of the Serbs and Greeks
    • 1346 Battle of Crécy: Edward III invades France and defeats Philip VI. English longbowmen defeat the French cavalry which had three-times as many men
    • 1347-1351 The bubonic plague (Black Death) spreads from China via rats on ships, to Cyprus, then Mediterranean countries, then Central Europe. 25 millions Europeans died.
    • 1347–1349 Plague ravages Sicily and the Italian peninsula, killing more than half of the population. Combined with the devastating collapse of the banking industry in Florence in 1346, the Black Death brings to an end to growth in Italy
    • 1350 Weight-driven clocks are used in Europe
    • 1354 Ottoman armies occupy the Byzantine fortress of Gallipoli and begin expansion into the Balkans
    • 1356 Battle of Poitiers: Edward the Black Prince, son of Edward III, defeats the French, capturing King John II who is held for ransom in London
    • 1376 The Ottoman capital is transferred from Prousa in Anatolia to the Byzantine city of Adrianople
    • 1377 Pope Gregory XI returns to Rome, then dies. Roman mob pressures papal conclave to elect Italian, Urban VI
    • 1378 13 Cardinals declare Urban IV’s election invalid, and elect Clement VII (cousin of King Charles V of France). Begins The Great Schism
    • 1378-1417 During The Great Schism— with rival popes in Rome and Avignon - France, Scotland, Aragon, and Milan support the pope in Avignon, while England, Germany, Naples, and Flanders support the Roman Pope
    • 1386 The Treaty of Windsor is signed between Portugal and England. This treaty has never been broken and is the longest lasting treaty between any two nations
    • 1387 Geoffrey Chaucer begins work on The Canterbury Tales
    • 1389 At the Battle of Kosovo Polje
    • 1391 First siege of Constantinople by the Ottomans
    • 1400 Binnacles are used in Europe for protecting and keeping level a ship's compass
    • 1400s Rice appears in northern Italy
    • 1400 Hand Guns are used in Europe
    • 1401 The first modern bank was formed, Bank of Barcelona
    • 1406 Ptolemy's geography is introduced in Europe.
    • 1407 Casa di San Giorgio, one of the first public banks, founded in Genoa.
    • 1429-31 A French force, led by military commander Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc), relieves the siege of Orleans; Burgundians capture Jeanne d'Arc and hand her over to the English. Jeanne d'Arc burned as a witch at Rouen; Henry VI of England is crowned king of France in Paris
    • 1430 Spring-driven clocks are used in Europe
    • 1440 Printing press developed at Mainz, Germany by Johannes Gutenberg, German businessman. Prints 300 sheets per day
    • 1441 The slave trade is begun by the Portuguese, initially slaves are sold in Lisbon
    • 1450 Three-mast ships appear in Europe
    • 1450 Invention of the printing press spurs wide distribution of navigation tables and ship plans.
    • 1450 Florence becomes center of Renaissance arts and learning under the Medicis
    • 1453 Siege Guns are used by the Ottomans in the siege of Constantinople
    • 1453 Turks overrun Constantinople, shutting off the overland trade route
    • 1453 Bordeaux falls to the French, Hundred Years' War ends; England's only French possession is Calais (but the title “King of France” is kept by the English king until the 1800s)
    • 1455 Gutenberg completes his first Bible
    • 1455-1457 Cadamosto, Venetian sailor, explores West Africa including the Senegal and Gambia rivers, and discovers the Cape Verde Island
    • 1456 Ottomans conquer Greece
    • 1459 Ottomans conquer Serbia
    • 1460 The Portuguese bring Japanese folding fans and silk screen printing to Europe
    • 1462 Topkapi palace is built in Istabul
    • 1463-1479 Ottomans and Venetians at war
    • 1470-84 Portuguese explorations discover Africa's Gold Coast and the Congo River.
    • 1471 Turks seize Negroponte
    • 1471 Portugal takes Tangier from the Muslims
    • 1472 Venetians destroy Smyrna
    • 1475 Ottomans conquer Crimea
    • 1478 Begins Spanish Inquisition.
    • 1478 Ottomans conquer Albania
    • 1478 Hungary gains Moravia and Silesia
    • 1479 The Ottomans take the Ionian islands and impose an annual charge for trade on the Black Sea.
    • 1480 Ottomans conquer Rhodes, held by the Knights of St. John
    • 1481 The Venetians take Cyprus. A long economic and military competition between the Ottomans and Venice begins
    • 1481 Battle of Otluk-Beli: Turks defeat the Persians, allies of Venice.
    • 1485 Hungary captures Vienna and lower Austria.
    • 1487 The first global financiers, the Fuggers in Germany, begin business
    • 1487 Battle of Stoke Field: In final engagement of the Wars of the Roses, Henry VII, defeats Yorkist army "led" by Lambert Simnel
    • 1488 Lorenzo de Medici establishes the first art school. Students include Michelangelo and DaVinci
    • 1488 Portugese sailor Bartholomeu Dias rounds the Cape of Good Hope
    • 1492 Christopher Columbus, a Genoese sailing for Ferdinand and Isabella of Castille & Aragorn, after sailing 69 days discovers America (the island of Dominica in the Bahamas, and Cuba)
    • 1494 France’s Charles VIII invades Italy to conquer the kingdom of Naples, to which he has a distant claim. An alliance among Pope Alexander VI, Venice, Milan, Spain, and Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I forces his retreat months later
    • 1494 The Treaty of Tordesillas divides the world between Spain and Portugal for the alleged purpose of spreading Christianity.
    • 1497-98 Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope and reaches India. Establishes Portuguese colony in India (1502).
    • 1497 Italian John Cabot discovers Newfoundland for England
    • 1499 Amerigo Vespucci discovers South America.
    • 1499 Switzerland breaks away from the HRE
    • 1500s Inflation develops in Europe, with prices rising 400% in 100 years, aggravated by the arrival of gold from the Spanish colonies in America
    • 1500 Pedro Cabral claims Brazil for Portugal
    • 1500s Various foods are passed from Asia to Europe including nutmeg (from China), obergine (eggplant, from India) and ice cream. Coffee reaches Europe after the Siege of Vienna by the Ottoman Empire. In England, sugar arrived in 1460; green peas in 1514.
    • 1501-1502 Vespucci explores the coast of Brazil, proposes that the land is a new continent, which is named America by German mapmaker Martin Waldseemuller in 1507
    • 1501-1503 Russia and Poland at war. Russia gains Lithuania.
    • 1502 Vasco da Gama establishes Portuguese colony in India.
    • 1504 Venice proposes a Suez Canal to the Sultan of Turkey
    • 1505 Portugese claim Mozambique
    • 1505 Portugese settle Ceylon
    • 1505 Portugese trading posts are established on the Malabar coast.
    • 1507 Khorasan falls to the Shaibanids and Timurid rule comes to an end
    • 1508-1510 Pope Julius II forms the League of Cambrai with Emperor Maximilian I, Ferdinand V of Aragon, and Louis XII of France, with the aim of ending the dominance of Venice.
    • 1509 Portugal destroyed the Arab fleet at Diu (modern India) taking control of Arab trade routes in the Indian Ocean
    • 1511 Portugal defeats the Arabs in the naval battle at the Straits of Sunda between Java and Borneo, controling the Spice Islands
    • 1512 The Swiss join the Holy League and drive France out of Milan
    • 1513 Plus and minus signs are used in Europe by merchants to mark sacks of goods: + (surplus); - (less).
    • 1513 Balboa journeys through the isthmus of Panama to become the first European to encounter the Pacific Ocean. The region of Panama becomes the first settled area and first Spanish jurisdiction on the New World
    • 1513 The Portugese reach Canton. The first Europeans to reach China by sea.
    • 1513 Giovanni de Medici becomes Pope Leo X.
    • 1514 War between Persia and the Ottomans. Persians defeated at the Battle of Chaldiran
    • 1515 France defeats the Swiss at the Battle of Marignano and regain Milan.
    • 1515 The fur trade becomes a major economic force throughout North America
    • 1517 Selim I ("the Grim") adds Syria, Egypt, and Mecca and Medina to the Ottoman realm
    • 1517 Martin Luther, professor of theology at the University of Wittenberg, nails his 95 Theses against the selling indulgences, spread by printing press.
    • 1519 Ulrich Zwingli begins Reformation in Switzerland
    • 1519-1521 Hernando Cortes conquers Mexico for Spain. He arrived in Mexico from Spain, and burnt his boats to make return impossible and break relations with his superiors. He founded Vera Cruz, then marches inland and conquers the Aztecs
    • 1519-1522 Ferdinand Magellan begins his journey to circumnavigate the world with five ships and 270 men. 1520 Magellan reaches the Pacific, 1521 he is killed by Philippine natives. 1522 One of his ships under Sebastián del Cano reaches Spain with 17 men
    • 1521 Belgrade is captured by the Turks
    • 1521 Leo X dies; his cousin Guiliano de Medici becomes Pope Clement VII.
    • 1523 Gustavus Vasa I, leads a revolt against Danish rulers and becomes King of Sweden
    • 1524 Verrazano, sailing under the French flag, explores the New England coast and New York Bay
    • 1525 Albert, grand master of the Teutonic Knights, becomes a Protestant and converts his Catholic realm into a secular state. As Duke Albert of Prussia, he continues to control the lucrative trade in amber through his capital at Königsberg (Kaliningrad)
    • 1526 Ottomans kill Louis II of Bohemia and Hungary at the Battle of Mohacs
    • 1530 Civil War between Catholic and Protestant cantons. Protestants defeated.
    • 1530 the Knights are given Malta by Charles V.

Mongols, 1206-1405

• 1206 Temujin unites the Mongol tribes and is enthroned as the Genghis Khan
    • 1211 Genghis Khan invades China
    • 1214 captures Peking
    • 1218 conquers Turkestan and Persia
    • 1220 establishes Karakorum as his capital
    • 1223 invades Russia
    • 1227 Genghis Khan dies and his empire is divided between two of his sons, Ogadai and Chagatai
    • 1227-1405 Chagatai Khanate
    • 1229 Ogadai (Ughetai), son of Genghis, is elected Great Khan
    • 1233 The Jin (Jurgen) empire in northern China surrenders to the Mongols
    • 1241 Mongols under Batu defeat Germans in Silesia, invade Poland and Hungary .
    • 1242 Ogadai Khan dies, withdraw from Europe
    • 1242, the Khanate retained its original name, but fell into Ogodei's realm under his grandson, Kaidu
    • 1258 Hugalu(Ilkhanid dynasty), a grandson of Ghengis Khan, invades Persia and capture Baghdad, ending the Abbasid caliphate and establishing the Ilkhanid dynasty
    • 1258 Berke is the first Muslim ruler of the Golden Horde, and although he was unable to establish Islam as the Khanate's official religion
    • 1261 Berke concluded a peace treaty with the Mamluks, the first alliance between a Mongol and non-Mongol.
    • 1300s Civil War weakens the Khanate.
    • 1313 Islam became the official religion of the Golden Horde.
    • 1326 the Chagatai Khanate became an officially Muslim state, and Central Asia has remained Islamic ever since and all three western Mongol empires (Chagatai, the Golden Horde and the Il-Khanate) were Islamic
    • 1400s Weakening of the Horde after Timur’s invasion fosters the ambitions of Russian princes who crown their heirs without consulting the khan
    • 1419 Golden Horde is divided into three separate Khanates: Crimea, Astrakhan, and Kazan.
    • 1462 Ivan III the Great of Russia ends payment of tribute to Mongols
    • 1370–1405 Timur “the Lame” (Tamerlane). He is born near Samarkand, the son of the leader of the Barlas tribe of Turks. He views himself as restoring the empire of Genghis Khan, and forged genealogies to claim descent from him. He marries two Mongolian princesses descended from Genghis. He establishes rule in Samarkand in 1369, and expands westward, gaining control over most of Persia (1379), Iraq, Syria, and Anatolia, as well as parts of southern Russia. In 1398 he conquers Delhi and Northern India. He builds his capital at Samarkand. His visciousness is legendary; he kills all men in the towns he conquers except the artisans, which he sends to Samarkand. When Delhi revolts he reportedly decapitates 75,000 of its inhabitants and builds a pyramid with their skulls. In 1402 he captures the Ottoman sultan Bayezid in battle. He dies on a march to China in 1405 and his empire is divided among his sons

Russian principalities

• 1019-1054 Under Jaroslav “the Wise” the building of Byzantine churches in Kiev rivals Constantinople. His family marries into western royal families, increasing the principality’s prestige. The Primary Chronicle of Russian history is written.
    • 1169 Prince Andrei Bogolubski moves capital to Vladimir, near Moscow
    • 1236-1240 The Mongols settle in Russia, capturing Moscow and Kiev, establishing the Golden Horde (Tatars) on the lower Volga.
    • 1236-1263 Alexander Nevsky, Prince of Novgorod, defeats the Swedes at the Battle of Neva.
    • 1271 Moscow becomes capital of Grand Duchy of Suzdal-Vladimir. The Duke’s palace is the Kremlin.
    • 1328-1340 Ivan I “Kalita” (“”money-bags”) of Moscow gains the right to collect tribute himself and the right of “absolute rule” over his subjects from the Golden Horde
    • 1380 Dmitri Donskoi defeats the Mongols at the Battle of Kulikovo; takes title Grand Duke of Moscow
    • 1400s Many princes in Ukraine and Russia rule by patents granted by the khan of the Golden Horde. Weakening of the Horde fosters the ambitions of more daring princes, most notably the Daniilovichi of Moscow who crown their heirs without consulting the khan.
    • 1453 After the fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans the Russian Orthodox Church becomes independent
    • 1462-1505 Ivan III the Great, Duke of Moscow. In 1480 he ends payment of tribute to the Tatars. He marries the niece of the last Byzantine emperor, and declares himself Tzar (Casear) in 1483. He rebuilds the Kremlin, begins annexing surrounding areas, conquers Novogorod, builds an autocratic state, challenges Lithuania and Sweden for control of Baltic ports. He begins tieing peasants to the land, allowing them to change landlords once a year

Spain

• 1094-1099 Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (El Cid), life inspires epic literature. He had been exiled from Castille after fighting for Alfonso’s brother in a succession dispute until 1072 and leading an unauthorized raid on Toledo, then a client state, in 1081. He enters the service of the Islamic Taifa rulers of Saragossa, ignores Alfonso’s attempts at reconciliation, then conquers and rules Valencia on his own. The Almoravids recover Valencia in 1102 however and rule it until 1238
    • 1085–1145 The Almoravids enter al-Andalus after the fall of Toledo in response to the Ta’ifa leaders' plea for help. The Almoravids assume control of al-Andalus in 1090, while maintaining their primary seat of government in Marrakesh.
    • 1100–1200 Ibn Rushd (Averroës, 1126–1198), Islamic philosopher, and Moses Maimonides (1135–1204)
    • 1143 Portugal is recognized as independent by Castille.
    • 1145–1232 The Almohads, another Berber dynasty, supplant the Almoravids and make Sevilla their capital
    • 1212 The combined armies of Aragon and Castile defeat the Almohads at the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, a turning point in the peninsula's history. Al-Andalus fractures into tribute-paying principalities, vulnerable to invasion by the Christian kingdoms.
    • 1232–1492 The Nasrid dynasty rules the Kingdom of Granada. Christian armies make the Nasrids tribute-paying vassals in 1243.
    • 1300–1400 Nasrid sultans build the Alhambra, the last major Islamic monument of Spain
    • 1385 Juan I usurps the throne from Pedro I of Castille. He then proclaims himself King of Portugal since he had married the daughter of Ferdinand I of Portugal. John of Gaunt of England, who had married Constance, daughter of Pedro I, leads an expedition to Castille to overthrow Juan I. John of Gaunt is unable to recapture the Castillian throne, but Juan of Aviz becomes King of Portugal.
    • 1391 Pogroms results in the massacre of many Jews in Sevilla
    • 1416 Prince Henry, "the Navigator", establishes a naval base and a school of navigation at Sagres
    • 1469 Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon are married. Her half-brother King Henry IV names instead as his heir Juana, supposedly his daughter but of dubious paternity. At Henry's death, Isabella takes the throne and civil war breaks out between Isabella's and Juana's supporters, including Alfonso V of Portugal who marries Juana in 1475. In 1476, Alfonso is defeated at Toro, and Isabella is acknowledged as queen of Castile in 1479, the same year in which her husband accedes to the throne of Aragon as Ferdinand II (1479–1516). Called the "Catholic Monarchs," Ferdinand and Isabella not only regain Catholic hegemony in Spain, but also curtail the power of the nobility and consolidate that of the monarchy.
    • 1478 Ferdinand and Isabella establish the Spanish Inquisition. Tomás de Torquemada is Grand-inquisitor
    • 1492 The Kingdom of Granada is conquered by Ferdinand and Isabella, with the expulsion of Moors and 200,000 Jews from Spain

Scotland

• 1124 David I ("the Saint") becomes king of the Scots. Despite strong links with the English royal court, he is an effective king, introducing royal councils and evolving the ancestor of the Scottish Parliament. He also builds cathedrals, like those in Glasgow, Elgin, and Saint Andrews, and castles which reflect the Norse influence.
    • 1249-1286 Alexander III unifies Scotland.
    • 1263 Norway gives the Hebrides to the Scots.
    • 1291 Edward I of England arbitrates in succession dispute between John Balloil and Robert Bruce. Edward rules in favor of Balloil, who swears fealty to Edward as his overlord.
    • 1296 Edward I defeats the Scots at Berwick, deposes John Balliol, and moves the Stone of Scone to Westminister
    • 1297 Battle of Cambuskenneth: William Wallace (“Braveheart”) defeats English army.
    • 1298 Edward I defeats Wallace at battle of Falkirk and reconquers Scotland.
    • 1305 The English capture and execute William Wallace
    • 1306-1314 Rebellion led by Robert Bruce. Edward I dies on march north to crush Robert Bruce.
    • 1314 Battle of Bannockburn: Robert Bruce defeats Edward II and makes Scotland independent.
    • 1328 England acknowledges Scottish independence. Robert I, the Bruce crowned King of Scotland (to 1329) at Scone.
    • 1333 Edward III invades Scotland on Balliol's behalf and defeats the Scots at battle of Halidon Hill
    • House of Stuart (1371-1707)
    • 1371 Robert II, first Stuart king
    • 1382 The Scots, with a French army, attack England
    • 1488-1513 James IV
    • 1502 James IV marries Margaret, daughter of Henry VII
    • 1513 Battle of Flodden Field: invading Scots are defeated by the English under Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey; James IV is killed.
    • 1513-1542 James V.
    • 1530 James V marries Marie of Guise, forging an alliance with France.
    • 1542 James V killed at the Battle of Solway Moss
    • 1542-1567 Mary, Queen of Scots
    • 1542-1560 The conversion of Scotland to Protestantism, led by John Knox, repairs the rift with England

Holy Roman Empire

• Franconian (Salian) Emperors, 1024-1137
    • 1100-1500 The Hanseatic League of German merchants and towns is established. 1293 Lübeck became the leading city of the Hanseatic League. 1370 Victory of the Hanseatic League over the Danes
    • 1122 The Concordat of Worms settles the struggle between the Holy Roman Emperor and the papacy over the control of church offices. While the clergy chooses bishops and abbots, the emperor retains the power to decide contested elections. This gives the local nobility greater influence in the choice of church officials, and increased independence from the imperial crown
    • 1125 The elective principle for the selection of Emperors is established with the election of Lothair II.
    • Hohenstaufens, 1138-1254
    • 1138-1152 Conrad III
    • 1152-90 Frederick Barbarossa.
    • 1156 Barbarossa gains Burgundy by marriage.
    • 1157 He defeats Denmark & Poland.
    • 1158 Threatened by the autonomy of the Italian communes, he invades Italy, seizes Milan and Rome, installs an anti-Pope.1176 He is defeated at Legano and the antagonists reach an agreement in 1183 (Peace of Constance).
    • 1180 Frederick I (Barbarossa) outlaws the Saxon Duke Henry the Lion.
    • 1190 He drowns on the Third Crusade.
    • 1190 The Teutonic Order was founded in Akko. In the 13th and 14th centuries it dominated vast territories along the Baltic coast
    • 1218-50 Frederick II. Unites crowns of Holy Roman Empire, Germany, Sicily, Lombardy, Burgundy, & Jerusalem.
    • 1235 Frederick II proclaimed the Peace of Mainz, the first imperial law in the German language
    • 1245 Pope Inonocent II declares Frederick II deposed at the Synod of Lyon. 1247-1250 War in Italy between Frederick II and papal allies.
    • 1250–1273 The Great Interregnum. Imperial authority dissolves
    • Rulers from Various Houses, 1273- 1437
    • 1273 Rudolf of Hapsburg became Emperor. He increased power by his victory over King Ottocar II of Bohemia.
    • 1278 Rudolf I conquers Bohemia, surrenders claims to Sicily and the Papal States
    • 1328 The Holy Roman Emperor is crowned in Rome for the last time.
    • 1348 The founding of the first German university in Prague, which Charles IV made the permanent capital of the empire
    • 1348-1352 The Plague ("black death")
    • 1356 Charles IV issues the Golden Bull, a constitution in which the election of the Emperor is in the hands of seven electoral princes (Archbishop of Mainz, Archbishop of Cologne Archbishop of Trier, King of Bohemia, Count Palatine of the Rhine, Duke of Saxony, Margrave of Brandenburg). Each emperor rules from his chosen capital. The Electors, in turn, have complete authority within their territories, with no legal appeal to the Emperor; they also have the “royal privledges” to mint coins, mine salt and metals, and tax Jews. Electoral states are made indivisible and use primogeniture for succession. These rights are gradually adopted by local princes, as the authority of the Emperor lessens. It also ignores the papacy, denying the pope’s practice of confirming the election of the emperor.
    • 1415-1450 Czech cleric Jan Hus and his followers the Hussites lead a series of rebellions in Bohemia
    • Hapsburgs, 1438-1806
    • 1438-1439 Albert II of Habsburg, duke of Austria, who had married the Emperor Sigismund’s daughter, is elected Emperor. He also succeeds to the thrones of Bohemia and Hungary.
    • 1440-1493 Frederick III. His rule is a continuous struggle to check the growing autonomy of princes of the empire. Frederick recovers Austria and claims the thrones of Hungary and Bohemia (upon the death of Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus).
    • 1477 Maximillian I, son of Frederick III, marries Mary of Burgundy. Burgundy and the Netherlands are united with Hapsburg territories in Austria.
    • 1493 Peasants' uprising on the upper Rhine
    • 1494-1559 Hapsburg-Valois Wars. The Hapsburgs vie with France over control of Naples and Milan.
    • 1495 Proclamation of the "Eternal Peace" at the Diet of Worms
    • 1499 Switzerland breaks away from the empire
    • 1517 Martin Luther’s 95 Theses. Prompts German Reformation. Begins clash of Protestant Princes with Catholic Emperor.
    • Charles V (1519–56) (grandson of Maximillian I, son of Philip).
    • 1521-1529 Charles V and France at war.
    • 1526 League of Cognac formed by Pope Clement VII, France, England, Milan, Florence, and Venice against Emperor Charles V.
    • 1527 Hapsburg troops attack Rome, imprison Pope Clement VII.
    • 1529 France's renunciation of all territorial claims in Italy at the Peace of Cambrai. Treaty of Barcelona between Clement VII and Charles V. Charles V is crowned emperor by Clement VII in the last imperial coronation
    • 1522-1523 Uprising of the knights.
    • 1524-26 Peasant uprisings.
    • 1529 The Turks besiege Vienna.
    • 1533 Peace between Ottomans and Charles V.
    • 1531 Schmalkaldic League founded by Protestant Rulers, led by Philip of Hesse and the Elector of Saxony. Met at Schmalkalden in Thuringia for a defensive alliance against Charles V.
    • 1539 Treaty of Frankfurt between Charles V and Protestant princes.
    • 1546-1547 Charles V defeats the Schmalkaldic League at the Battle of Muhlberg.
    • 1552 Duke Maurice of Saxony forces Charles to agree on freedom of Worship at the Peace of Passau.
    • 1555 The Peace of Augsburg: the religion of each state of the Holy Roman Empire is to be determined by its ruler.
    Last edited by Tzar; February 24, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Wow, this is great help, thanks you very much!

+rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast