Thread: Stranger in a Strange Land

I Just finished. I enjoyed it throughly. I am curious, any of you read it? Your opinions? Do you grok?

Boris
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

damn. nobody.
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

haha I d/led it yesterday READ IT DAVID DAMMIT!

howd you like it?

uuuh that was me yelling at myself TO read it :p. I'm gonna get to it.. Is it true some people have formed like semi-cults around this?

Originally posted by DavidtheDuke@Dec 31 2004, 05:10 AM
    uuuh that was me yelling at myself TO read it :p. I'm gonna get to it.. Is it true some people have formed like semi-cults around this?
    i can see it happening. not sure though.

When I first read Stranger years ago, I thought it was great. When I re-read it last year, I was not too impressed. Michael's lifestyle can be excused because of who he is. But Jubal's lifestyle just doesn't work with real humans. (About the closest we might find is the public relations version of Hugh Hefner's life--but I think Hefner as an idol is pretty pathetic at this point.)

RAH used to be one of my favorite writers, so I'm disconcerted to see that his work has aged so poorly. To be fair, I guess I'll have to go back and read some of his Lazarus Long stuff and other late novels to compare them.

Civitate

My friend in High School is reading it currently. Is it really that good?

I suppose I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I think if you've never read it, it is definitely worth reading at least once. At the time RAH was writing it, all the stuff he is talking about is very radical and groundbreaking. It is an insight into a whole different mindset. Even boris got a buzz off of groking it for the first time, you dig? :