Thread: are the roman units here the same as ruina roma

Default are the roman units here the same as ruina roma

im currently playing ruina roma and am about to wrap up both my eastern and western campaigns im thinkin of dl rio's but im curious if the romans play any different

Imperial Fist's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: are the roman units here the same as ruina roma

The units are the units of the late anitque. YouŽll meet comitatenses, pseudos, plumbatrii, legio and auxillia palatina. Also all of the foedorati forces.
    But all the units have been changed in size( they are all bigger than they were before) and in upkeep( some units like the legio palatina are now much more expensive to maintain). If i am allowed to give you an advice: Download the mod and test it(take a look at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56867 for installation).
    Be warned, to lead the imperium romanum occtidentalis to its former glory was a child's play in ibfd compared to rios mod, at least in the main campaigne( didnt play the the orientalis yet, cant tell much about them).
    I insure you will love the reworked map! Dont forget to try out one of the british factions( there are Picts(Scottland), Gauls(Ireland), Roman Britons(SW Britain and Bretagne), Romano-British(Central Britain) and Anglii/Saxones/Jutes(SE England)).

Hi suntaiguy23, Just to add a bit to Imperial Fists post, you will notice the different focus of the campaign map one that is more centered and around the European world(or a greatly magnified vanilla version). Also how cities economically and militarily function. The historical situation also differs for the Empire in the West continued to lose ground and by one of the mods 463AD campaigns, the situation is dire

I'm still working on incorporating the latest ruina romas model units. They are really impressive and a forever process to do. Many of the British Isle and Gaul factions have ATW units mixed in as well. It kind of gives an exotic feel when playing one of Brit Gael or Gaul factions.
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 29, 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

interesting i've just wrapped up my western caimpaign and i thought it was tough in ruina roma, i was forced to condense my lands to italy to survive. and as of today i took constantinoples and finished my campaign, my eastern caimpaign will be over once i finish my war with the romano british.

ill be interested how rio plays out especially if western rome is even harder, im interested in playing as justinian as well thats one of my favorite roman eras, and belisirius rocks

Quote Originally Posted by suntaiguy23 View Post
    im interested in playing as justinian as well thats one of my favorite roman eras, and belisirius rocks
    Elrond was looking for suggestions in his Justinian thread for his Justinian Mod so any ideas still would be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by suntaiguy23 View Post
    interesting i've just wrapped up my western caimpaign and i thought it was tough in ruina roma, i was forced to condense my lands to italy to survive. and as of today i took constantinoples and finished my campaign, my eastern caimpaign will be over once i finish my war with the romano british.

ill be interested how rio plays out especially if western rome is even harder, im interested in playing as justinian as well thats one of my favorite roman eras, and belisirius rocks
    I'd like to ask: I tried the first round as East Roman Empire in IBFD (the original) and I thought it was really intense, much more so than the starting round of any other mod. And even more intense than the start of the West Roman Empire in the original Barbarian Invasion, because even though there was management of the cities, at least the barbarians weren't swamping over the land in the first round. So, is Rio's mod (and IJ) even harder than IBFD? In other words, out of Rio'd mod, IJ and IBFD the original, which one should I try first?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePianist View Post
    I'd like to ask: I tried the first round as East Roman Empire in IBFD (the original) and I thought it was really intense, much more so than the starting round of any other mod. And even more intense than the start of the West Roman Empire in the original Barbarian Invasion, because even though there was management of the cities, at least the barbarians weren't swamping over the land in the first round. So, is Rio's mod (and IJ) even harder than IBFD? In other words, out of Rio'd mod, IJ and IBFD the original, which one should I try first?
    Hi ThePianist

I think it would be a good idea if you could read up on each of the different mod forums and try and get an idea to what mod might interests you the most. All three mods are different in their distinct ways such as the starting dates, economics, map and even to some degree its philosophy towards game play. If you are still not sure after trying this then go with the Momma, the IB 7.3...but in any case you cant lose

Yes, Rio is right. You better start with IBFD 7.03. The AI in Rio's IBFD is much more aggressive, at least thats what i have experienced. If you think ERE is challenging, try WRE or saxons, lets see how many turns you survive( Hey Rio, with the expansion i survived much longer with WRE, campaign is not dead yet)
    A little advice for your ERE camgaign: build harbors as soon as possible and protect them, especially the constantinopelian one.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Fist View Post
    Yes, Rio is right. You better start with IBFD 7.03. The AI in Rio's IBFD is much more aggressive, at least thats what i have experienced. If you think ERE is challenging, try WRE or saxons, lets see how many turns you survive( Hey Rio, with the expansion i survived much longer with WRE, campaign is not dead yet)
    A little advice for your ERE camgaign: build harbors as soon as possible and protect them, especially the constantinopelian one.
    How far have you progressed? Who is(faction)giving the most troubles? :hmmm:curious

I have played for about 20 years and the Ostrogoths are still the most dangerous. But fortunatly they aren't that aggressive at the beginning anymore. This gives you at least some time to improve your eco a bit.
    Still, WRE is the most difficault campaign ive ever played.