Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Region Fix by SJ

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Region Fix by SJ

Can you update it now, please? My 2.00 Fix Pack is almost ready! =) Or will I need to clean them myself?

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Im nearly done, not sure though on some provences

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Indefinitely Banned

Ask which - I'll try to find something for them. =P

Tunis at the min, can find a name which would fit for this time period, well for the area now at all. All the regions I find are too small to be used to define the whole area.

* EDIT * I have to go now so I will post it now-I have just called it Tunisia as I need to go and you sounded like you wanted it quickly so, if you want to change it pls do.
    Last edited by -Aquila-; May 13, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

From wiki:

Tunis (Arabic: تونس, Tūnis) is the capital of the Tunisian Republic and also the Tunis Governorate, with a population of 728,453 in 2004. Informal estimates state that the population of greater Tunis approaches two million.

Situated on a large Mediterranean gulf, (the Gulf of Tunis), behind the Lake of Tunis and the port of La Goulette (Halq al Wadi), the city extends along the coastal plain and the hills that surround it.
    I believe that Tunis IS the name of the region, since it is on Gulf of Tunis, behind the Lake of Tunis in the Tunisian Republic and the Tunis Governorate.

I also found two other names for the region:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_...C_Roman_Empire
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifriqiya

BTW, have you called Phoenicia the REAL Phoenicia, or you do have 3 Syrias still? =\

Edit: Thanks, will make my own edits then, but I'll probably go to sleep now.
    Last edited by Echad; February 07, 2008 at 10:29 AM.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

huge article on history of Tunis on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tunisia

check the section on the Zirids which suggests name at this time should be Ifriqiya (but details on the exact extent seem vague)

also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zirid

The Zirids (Arabic: زيريون‎) ‎) were a Berber dynasty, originating in Petite Kabylie among the Kutama tribe, that ruled Ifriqiya (roughly, modern Tunisia), initially on behalf of the Fatimids, for about two centuries, until weakened by the Banu Hilal and finally destroyed by the Almohads. Their capital was Kairouan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairouan

The capital Kairouan was however destroyed in 1057 on never regained its importance.

Then Mahdia became the capital under the Fatimites. about which:

In 1087 the town was attacked by raiding ships from Genoa and Pisa. The Zirid dynasty had its residence here in the 11th century, but was brought to an end by the Norman conquest of the city in 1148. In 1160 the city comes under Almohad rule.[4] The role of the capital was taken over by Tunis in the 13th century during the Hafsid Dynasty.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdia

Hope this helps!

Indefinitely Banned

A HUGE mistake - Palestine is Eretz Yisrael, or how would you name it - It is the whole Holy land, not just the modern terroristic group pretending to be a state! Renamed Gaza region to Philistia (as Philistines were from there), also changed Acre region to Galilee and Antioch one to Phoenicia. Reviewing other parts fo Israel now.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Echad View Post
    From wiki:

I believe that Tunis IS the name of the region, since it is on Gulf of Tunis, behind the Lake of Tunis in the Tunisian Republic and the Tunis Governorate.
    1. Did you say Tunis?

b. sounds like a whole bunch of Tunis to me

last. Tunisfish sandwich anyone?

:hmmm:

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Quote Originally Posted by marcuscat View Post
    ok here it is

Santiago de Compostela - GALACIA

Lisboa - ESTREMADURA

Oporto - MINHO

Leon - LEON

Burgos - OLD CASTILLE

Toledo - NEW CASTILLE

Sevilla - SEVILLA

Cordoba - CORDOBA

Cartajena - MURCIA

Granada - GRANADA

Valencia - VALENCIA

Pamplona - NAVARRE

Zaragoza - ARAGON

Barcelona - CATALONIA

Ciutat de Mallorca - BALEARIC ISLES
    If you're using the name "Lisboa" when I think you should use the word "Porto" instead of "Oporto", otherwise the list would then be somewhat irregular concerning the languages used (either English or the conrrespondent native language).

Indefinitely Banned

I'd like to taste Tunisian Tuna from Tunis, catched right in the Gulf of Tunis, behind the Lake of Tunis in the Tunisian Republic and the Tunis Governorate of Tunisia - they should have some very Tuna Tunis! =\

Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    If you're using the name "Lisboa" when I think you should use the word "Porto" instead of "Oporto", otherwise the list would then be somewhat irregular concerning the languages used (either English or the conrrespondent native language).
    Which of these is English and which is Potugal?

Another HUGE mistake - Tripolitania is in Lybia, Africa, not in Palestine. Renamed Tripoli region to Phoenicia and Antioch land to Hatay.

And please - you had Aragon as Royame Aragonese, or something like that, that translates as Kingdom of Aragon, and Comtat de Barcelona should be Catalunia.

Edit: Uploaded my file, if anyone has something to add/correct, base it on my file.
    Last edited by Echad; February 07, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Lol, sorry Echad I have a habbit of macking mistakes, as you might have seen. LOL silly me!

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

mmmmmm Tunis tuna

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Which of these is English and which is Potugal?
    You mean portuguese.

English: Oporto

Portuguese: Porto

English: Lisbon

Portuguese: Lisboa

About Breslau.

The city name is ok, although polish (it was owned by poland from around 1000 to 1163 or so) or czech (it was founded by Bohemians) name would probably be more historical in early campaign.

But region name is and always was Silesia - polish Śląsk, german - Schlesien, czech Slezsko (sp?)

Short history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrocław

http://www.wratislavia.net/wroc_history_short.htm

Maps of Poland (only in polish, but good resolution)
    Wrocław=Breslau
    Śląsk=Silesia
    Morawy=Moravia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._960_-_992.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...992_-_1025.png

I checked medieval Hungary-related names (and some others in the region) in your file.

Budapest should be renamed to Buda, though then it would be on the wrong side of the river without moving it. But Budapest didn't exist before 1873(!!) so it should be changed. (For further versions you could move the town a bit and name it Esztergom, which was the center of the Hungarian kingdom till the 13th century. Or if you keep Buda, at least it should be moved to the Western bank of the Danube. This is directed to KK of course.) The province name "Carpathian Basin" also sounds inadequate as Transylvania is also in the basin but it is a separate region in the mod (and in vanilla as well). But it might be hard to find a better name.

"Bran province" should simply be renamed to Transylvania/Erdély. The in-game region covers it quite good. The town should be renamed to Brassó/Brasov on the current map. Bran wasn't signficant enough at all to warrant being the center of the region. CA just chose it because it is Drakula's castle in Bram Stoker's novel. The renaming is convenient because the town on the map is roughly where Brasov is in reality. Bran Castle is actually south from there exactly in the mountain pass. It was a border castle built by the Teutonic Order in the early 13th century. (But if you intend to keep Bran at least you should use the German or Hungarian version of the name imho. Though naming a region after one of its border castles is quite weird.) For later versions the very best solution would be to pick Alba Iulia/Gyulafehérvár as the town of the region. (But then it should be moved.) It was the seat of the voivod of Transylvania as well as the seat of the Transylvanian Catholic episcopacy. The real center of Transylvania!

Croatia/Zagreb and Dalmatia/Ragusa are good choices. Hmm, Bessarabia/Iasi I'm not sure about. The town name is good of course, but the region should be called Moldova probably. There is a problem with Muntenia/Bucharest as well. Namely that Bucharest didn't exist back then. The city was founded in the 15th century as far as I know. I hope somebody will pop in from Romania to confirm it. You could go for Targoviste instead, I guess.

I tried renaming the provinces on the late campaign and now it wont start. Is this only for the early campaign?

Indefinitely Banned

2 Baldwin of Jerusalem:

Prob'ly...

2 Borsa Kopasz:

We are just renaming here, not moving everything... About Bessarabia, actually historical Moldavia region stretches a little into the modern Romania, while the current country of Moldova IS nealy the whole former Romanian region of Bessarabia and it is pretty like that in the game, featuring a piece of modern Ukraine as well.

Shame that the nearby Kiev region (Poles'ya) extends to the sea, while it really should not - Kievans always swam througn the Dnieper on their small boats, while the region where modern Odessa stands was mostly nomadic at that time, with Greek colonies nearby. =\

Okay, I got it. I just told that some town movements & renaming would be very needed for this region to look even remotely historically correct. Don't know whether it's an aim of the mod developers or not. If not then I didn't say anything.

But at least you should probably rename Budapest to Buda (even if that means that the town will be slightly inaccurately placed) and Bran to Brasov. As I told the town currently on the map is exactly in the place of Brasov and not Bran. You should rename Bran region to Transylvania as well.

About Moldavia: the region on the map corresponds better to historical Moldavia than Bessarabia, I think. It's western border is at the Carpathians just where the border between Transylvania (Hungary) and Moldavia was. Also if I remember correctly Iasi was the center of Moldavia in the medieval ages. But I'm no expert on this issue...:hmmm:

Indefinitely Banned

I will look into Moldavia, just really like to see Bessarabia more, as it extends to east past Moldavia.

I renamed the region to Transylvania and the castle to Brasov.

What about naming Budapest Pest? As it will be on correct bank of the river, and, AFAIK is actually mentioned earlier than Buda.

AND - you should post ALL your suggestions about moving to the "6.0 Map", OR the "Suggestions" sticky threads, as KK has more chances to find them here - or just send a PM to him. =)

Just moving the cities now seems like a waste, since the map will be renewed very soon. =)

when does the mod start? 1080 like vanilla? if so, then "theodosia" would be a better choice for caffa, since the genoese didn't arrive until about the time of the fourth crusade.

a few notes, assuming a vanilla map (since i haven't seen s/s yet) and dates circa 950 - 1025:

the region around constantinople would be thrace, and in vanilla includes macedonia. "marmara" refers to the small sea between the aegean and black seas, and a group of islands therein.
    the region about trapezous (trebizond) would be chaldia, cappadocia is in the interior, where you currently have caesarea (cappadcia is a typo; you might call it charsianon instead).
    the region about thessalonica was called the same, "thessalonian" refers only to the inhabitants of the city; the vanilla map has the themes of hellas, thessalonica, and strymon all together.
    the theme for smyrna would be thracesion.
    for adana, i noticed "cilicia" is misspelt "cilicra"
    from the romans' point of view, the area around edessa might be best called euphrates or even mesopotamia, "mygdonia" refers to the part of thrace that later became part of today's macedonia, when philipp conquered what's now thessalonica and its hinterland.
    for cyprus, the capital should be called "leukosia" or "lefkosia", "nicosia" is a foreign name/corruption from the time of the french, etc.
    "sinop" should be spelt "sinope", and the province called armeniakon, paphlagonia was to its west.
    the theme immediately around nicaea was optimaton; the vanilla map is a monster, including opsikion, abydos, bucellarion, etc.
    the last thing i can see is the capital of crete; anything is better than "iraklion". when it was retaken from the arabs, we took over the name "chandax", sometimes "chandakas"; the venetians called it "candia", and we called it "megalokasto" under the turks. we only started calling it iraklio (again) in the modern period.

take care, great job, and great idea

steph

p.s. please tell me if i assumed the wrong dates. the themes changed shape, size, and number often, so i might be able to find something from a different time.
    Last edited by iostephanos; February 16, 2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: i spell like a drunk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast