Thread: Two-handed axemen

Default Two-handed axemen

Playing ERE I had a siege battle against some rebels, sent my two-handed axemen (can't remember their name) to take the walls against some levy spearmen. The axes were outnumbered 2:1 or so, but with their stats they should have wiped the walls with the blood of the spearmen. But instead they were wiped out to the last man practically without a fight - two groups of axemen managed to take out a grand total of eight (8) enemy spearmen. Most of the time they just stood there being slaughtered, occasionally (when ordered) swinging the butt-ends of their axes at the enemy until they apparently got bored of repeating it and returned to standing still.

From the unit descriptions I got the image that those axemen are supposed to be the best heavy infantry ERE has to offer. I was appalled.

I thought the two-handed weapons would've been fixed by now?

Default Re: Two-handed axemen

The Keyword in your post is; Walls.

Units defending walls get dynamically assigned huge bonuses for being there. I always thought that they should be toned down some what as like you have found, they turn pant wetting mummy's boys into veteran warriors.

Try your experiment in the field and you'll get the entirely opposite result.

I don't think that's the problem here though. I haven't had trouble taking walls with other units. The axemen just never seemed to really put up a fight, the most they did (animation wise) was push a little with the shafts of their axes. Occasionally. The rest of the time they just stood and died. Two units of 80 men only killed 8 men while dying to the last man themselves, that's 160:8 against less experienced, less able troops, even if on a wall. Something's not right.

Don't waste them on walls, leave the walls to your heavy swordsmen/AP Infantry. Use the Axemen in the street or to finish them off in the town center. I believe one of the problems w/ the 2 handed units on the walls is there animation (in that they don't have room to swing their huge weapons, so they just poke or shove the enemy not inflicting casualties).

My 2 cents

-Vic
    I'm still Kung-Fu Bishes!