Thread: Robin Hood

Default Robin Hood

Anyone see latest remake? it was on BBC. if not catch it on UKTV.You must.

The fact that it was far-fetched only made it better. quite frankly if it was not then it would have been pretty poor tbh. Poor Robin though, every week he got attacked by his friends from the holy lands, he tries helping, he nearly gets crucified, the king accuses him of treason. As if you would believe a desert person (your enemy) above Robin of Locksley, his most loyal soldier... Anyone like it? I know i did. LMAO at it.

Default Re: Robin Hood

I do too. It's a great series.

I love how it's one big "**** you" to historical accuracy as well. Either you stick to the book, or you don't.

Terrible, watching it makes me shudder.

Lol i mfao at it. Everytime they want to enter the castle they out their hoods up, a wanted fugitive lol.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I think the whole thing is very childish.
    However the it's made with "a twinkle in one's eye"..If there's a such expression in the English dictionary. Hate when I can't translate some sayings/proverbs

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

I did not like it at all.

And not just because of historical inaccuracy, though that too. Starting with the characters' modern hairstyles and excellent hygiene, the soldiers' "uniforms" and so on really threw me off. I may have been able to look past all this had I not been interested in history, or had I been much younger. But knowing what I do about medieval times, it just completely ruined it for me.

Then there was the acting, which I found quite sub-par, especially the lead actor's portrayal of Robin Hood. I thought he is much too weak an actor and not nearly charismatic enough to be a convincing Robin Hood. I dont really remember the other characters (long time ago that I last watched it) but I remember none of them really struck me as particularly good. Rather mediocre acting at best, IMO.

The story was not bad actually. The adventures seemed appropriately Robin Hood-esque and sensible enough to be believable (in the context of the show, anyway) and also suitably light.

Action was another positive for me. Again, suitably imaginative and well paced most of the time, and within reason.

Cyrus, I know exactly what you mean and I completely agree.

The setting was a huge turnoff. This may just be personal taste/preference, but that was not at all how I imagined Sherwood Forest. I guess I maybe a bit too attached to the traditional literature, but to prove that I'm not narrow minded, I actually enjoyed some retellings and re-invensions of Robin Hood. Notably, the 'King Raven' trilogy by Stephen Lawhead (though I have so far only read book 1 - 'Hood') is very good.

PS. I would heartily recommend Lawhead's book(s). A slightly different take on Robin Hood - Set in 11th Century Wales with Robin Hood and his band being freedom fighters trying to prevent Norman conquest of Wales and enslavement/enserfment (is that even a word?) of the Cymry people.

PPS. Wow, my 400th post is about Robin Hood - sweet
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; January 31, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

different_13's Avatar Civitate

I think I watched the first 2 or 3.
    Awful. Didn't like a single thing about it.

I can imagine the shows got better as the series dragged on (they could hardly get worse), but brief glimpses of my mum watching it whilst cooking didn't change my mind at all.

Oh, and historical inaccuracy, etc..
    Life, go easy on me

Then I weighed him I said, “Holy ****!” because he weighs 900,000,000,000,000,000 tons. That amazing weight made me say the “S” word.
    for more from the wonderful world of Humber Reloaded, just google it!

Under the patronage of imb39

Kool-Aid's Avatar Civis

Out of every Robin Hood remake there's been...
    The Disney one's the best