Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Australia Day

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Default Happy Australia Day

Hello my fellow Australians I wish you a happy Australia day. What are all of you doing to celebrate this day. I am sitting down watching the cricket and then latter on going to have a barbeque. It really is a nice day for it at least it is here in Melbourne
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Happy Australia Day

I absolutely fail as an Australian. I haven't celebrated it for years and I didn't even know it was the 26th until I read it in the Herald.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Well that's o.k Octy. I do find it funny that we are having the holiday on Monday because it happened to fall on the weekend. It just seems really Australian to just give ourselves public holidays even when there is no true need for it.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Happy Australia day! I'm off to a barbeque with my extended family. Later!
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Do you good Aussies know of pulled pork bbq?

Happy Australia day Aussies!! *to all my friends in Sydney and Melbourne*

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    Well that's o.k Octy. I do find it funny that we are having the holiday on Monday because it happened to fall on the weekend. It just seems really Australian to just give ourselves public holidays even when there is no true need for it.
    Holidays help to spur the economy. In my country even if the date of a certain festival falls on regular day they always move it to Friday or Monday.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
    Do you good Aussies know of pulled pork bbq?
    mmmmm

Eastern North Carolina style FTW!

EDIT: For those that don't know, there is a feud going on between eastern and western north carolina over the sauce to put on their pulled pork barbecue. Eastern style sauce is usually just vinegar and hot pepper sauce, while western style is tomato sauce (or ketchup), vinegar, brown sugar, and whatever else they feel like putting in.

It also doesn't really matter which side of the state you are from, I'm from about as far west in NC as you can get, but I'll take eastern over western any day.

I do think western is better on ribs though.
    Last edited by the_mango55; January 26, 2008 at 12:45 AM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by polleb View Post
    Happy Australia day Aussies!! *to all my friends in Sydney and Melbourne*
    I realise you don't talk to any friends who moved to tassie anymore.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    mmmmm

Eastern North Carolina style FTW!

EDIT: For those that don't know, there is a feud going on between eastern and western north carolina over the sauce to put on their pulled pork barbecue. Eastern style sauce is usually just vinegar and hot pepper sauce, while western style is tomato sauce (or ketchup), vinegar, brown sugar, and whatever else they feel like putting in.

It also doesn't really matter which side of the state you are from, I'm from about as far west in NC as you can get, but I'll take eastern over western any day.

I do think western is better on ribs though.
    Both are really good, but I think the vinegar & hot sauce is really good. I had it once with an apple cider vinegar mop.

*drools*

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

What did I do? I worked.

And on Monday, when the public holiday falls, guess what? I'll be working. But with excellent penalty rates of pay

I hate Australia day, all the blokes get bored and pissed then decide to wander to the shops and buy ****loads of the randomest crap and I have serve all the pissed fools. Makes my day a total pain in the arse. Anyway, i'm hittin the vodka now with my mates catch ya boys.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by compache View Post
    I hate Australia day, all the blokes get bored and pissed then decide to wander to the shops and buy ****loads of the randomest crap and I have serve all the pissed fools. Makes my day a total pain in the arse. Anyway, i'm hittin the vodka now with my mates catch ya boys.
    The ironing is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
    What did I do? I worked.

And on Monday, when the public holiday falls, guess what? I'll be working. But with excellent penalty rates of pay
    Heh, those IR laws affect you at all, boof?

I went out to lunch with my family, then visited my Dad's side in the afternoon. But **** Australia Day. ANZAC Day is the true national holiday. Spread the word.

I wish I was Australian.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

I so want to visit Australia and get pissing drunk during these types of festivities.

The problem is, I'll probably wake up with Australian citizenship or something.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Sigh... ANOTHER fact of Australian life I must grow accustomed to so I do not appear as another stupid cheeseburger-inhaling yank when I head over there next year.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Dammit, you should hold it back another year that way I could go to Australia at the same time too.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
    Dammit, you should hold it back another year that way I could go to Australia at the same time too.
    Doggone it, I can't, I'm already a sophomore in college!

I have to be in UCLA for my senior year, no can do.

Hey, at least after I'm gone, you can take my place to keep Scorch occupied!

That is, if you're going to USyd, like I hopefully am...

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by ~The Doctor~ View Post
    Heh, those IR laws affect you at all, boof?.
    Nope, because I don't work for a small company, and I ain't silly I am suffering in another way though, as my 4 weekly contract never gives me 2 days off in a row. I have to blackmail and make subtle threats/demands for a 2 day break.

But **** Australia Day. ANZAC Day is the true national holiday. Spread the word.
    True, true, and true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast