Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

If you haven't done anything else then that is the fastest way - there simply isn't anything in the log that may give a clue.

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Ok, but in baregeomod folder i have vanilla map, etc, can i set this with teutonic files? And also with this already modified from this mod with sweden? I don't exactly understand what you mean by
    Because modding the original campaigns has a few additional pitfalls compared to normal modding.
    Allright, i copied modified teutonic files to baregeomod, it works for now. But i have little problem. When i start new campaign, right after the map shows up, i have communicate, that Calmar Union have almost reach their victory conditions, and after closing this window they wins. How to fix that?

Another thing, why geomod is replacing files edited by me??? I run it, gets communicate about some error debbuging, then i save and exit. After that, campaign stopped working. I click start game, nothing is changing for a few minutes, and after that game brings me back to gamemode selection. The worse thing is, that after i closed the game and launch notepad++ i saw, that geomod replaced my modified files with old ones, for example with even broken descr_mercenaries (missing some original unit pools). Why is that? At least i've done backup copies of this files. Everything was working till i used geomod.
    Last edited by Hellvard; February 20, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Blog Entries

In the Geomod backup folders you will find the files\folders needed for the teutonic campaign (tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\mods\teutonic\data). You can simply rename\delete the data folder in mods\Bare_Geomod and replace it with that one. You will however not be able to play test via the Bare Geomod folder then.

Every time you save in Geomod a set of files will be rewritten, details about that you will find in my manual. You will also find an explanation about the debugging of descr_regions.
    Calmar Union: somehow the win_conditions file does not have a regular entry. This can happen if the original file didn't have an entry for that faction to start with and Geomod added the default entry with zero figures.

General: Geomod is very precise when reading text files unlike the game (grammar nazi is a very apt description ). Issues like trailing commas in the EDU's ownership line can lead to freezes which normally messes up the text files. It is therefore recommended to a) have a back up and b) open and save an existing mod in Geomod without making any changes so you see if the files have been accepted.

Civis

Here you go, Gigantus.

Sorry for the delay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xagamon View Post
    Here you go, Gigantus.

Sorry for the delay.
    Not sure what your problem was. I opened the mod in Geomod (made no changes whatsoever), exited and saved. Then I ran 'convert_all' in the data\text folder because of the historic_event file and started the mod as usual.
    Only thing I noticed was the 'you were defeated by minor factions' message because apparently the slave faction got more then the 100 regions in their winning conditions, I would suggest to set that to 200.

Aww, i have this problem once again, but this time after editing modeldb. My new unit wasn't working, so i delete it from this file, and set entries number to the previous state. Then, after next game launch, i get this communicate about tons of missing files. What the heck??? God bless me for doing regular backups. Why is that? Why i have errors about files, that i didn't even open? Allright, i could make mistake with this modeld files, bot why so many errors occurs? How to avoid it? Portrets missing, tons of another tga's too, files from imperial campaign folder and so on. I'm really angry, cause i didn't touch this things at all. Someone knows cause of this?

Blog Entries

The game checks various formats of a file until it finds one version, eg it checks for dds.tga and tga as strat model textures. If you have only the tga file in your mod then the first search will return 'missing'. Check a line or two under a missing line and you should find a found message (otherwise you could find a [error] message and most likely a crash). Example:
    Code:
    08:53:32.776 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/1648_2/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds
    08:53:32.777 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/1648_2/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: C:\My Games\Medieval II Total War)
    Summary: don't bother about the 'missing' reports, a lot are also files that are not used anymore, like the look-up files.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 24, 2013 at 02:36 AM.

Hah, i will not bother about this, when it will stop crash my game

Civis

Not sure what your problem was. I opened the mod in Geomod (made no changes whatsoever), exited and saved. Then I ran 'convert_all' in the data\text folder because of the historic_event file and started the mod as usual.
    I'm very happy to hear that you got it running!

Unfortunately, I did what you suggested and nothing has changed on my end. What I'm going to do is give this file to others to see if they can run the mod on their own machines. If I'm the only one who can't get it working, I will start to think that maybe there is something wrong with my PC or my Windows.
    Last edited by Xagamon; February 25, 2013 at 03:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Saving in Geomod rewrites a lot of files (see my manual). There may have been a formatting problem with a previous save.

Civis

Icon11 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Wow. Nothing was wrong with the map files or the texting.

As it turns out, the problem was that the skeletons files from the animation folder were missing. I reinstalled the game and made sure that the Bare_Geomod folder had its own copies and sure enough it runs!

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Great to hear you got it fixed.

I have a strange problem with my mod. 4 days ago i have implemented mongol units from Rusichi mod. Since then, i was only testing if they are working in custom battles, i haven't made any changes in files. But next day my mod stopped working, crash appears right after loading screen shows up, nothing in log. I have no idea what's wrong, anything i have noticed is that the EOL conversion was set to Unix format, but nothing changed, when i set it back to Windows. Everything in edu, eu and modeldb seems ok, units limit not reached.
    Last edited by Hellvard; September 17, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Spardox's Avatar Libertus

Hello, I need help with the following problem that I have in the mod I am creating:
    When i modifying export_ancillaries.txt (adding new entries) comes a CTD (crash to desktop) . Please i need help with this!!

Don't you have any info in log? Is your log set to "trace"? See first post of this thread

Sorry, writed this post before seen your thread
    Last edited by Hellvard; December 07, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pardezio View Post
    Hello, I need help with the following problem that I have in the mod I am creating:
    When i modifying export_ancillaries.txt (adding new entries) comes a CTD (crash to desktop) . Please i need help with this!!
    I responded in your original thread - please stick to that one as the thread here is very general.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hi all,
    In the SSHIP submod, I'm trying to give their proper entries to the new factions. I've started with Georgia who is recorded as Timurids in the relevant files in our submod. I've updated all the relevant files, replacing Timurids by Georgia.
    However, each time IU'm trying to start a campaign, I have access to the main menu, I can choose any faction, the game starts loading and when it is about to start, I've got a CTD.
    You'll find attached my log. At the bootm, there's the message about "insufficient video memory".

As far as I can understand it, it looks there's a missing image or an "associated" spelling error causing that CTD with that CTD.

I'd be grateful if anybody can confirm this and also confirm which files might be involved.
    Thanks in advance.

system.log.zip
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

your log; open: mods/sship v0.8.3/data/terrain/aerial_map/ships/textures/Riczu_trade_boat_new.tga.dds is missing
    13:46:56.476 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

this Riczu_trade_boat_new.tga.dds is missing and that's way it is telling the Insufficient video memory.

ore it happens onces too me by accident you put the terrain/aerial_map in another map so it can not find it so look then where you put this terrain map in some other map in your mod.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

No, that's not the reason. First, it's a [warning] and it's not causing a CTD. In SSHIP v0.8.2 (actual release), the file is missing also and there's no problem.
    2nd: even if I create a DDS file and put it in the right location, that line disapears from the log but the "Insufficiant video Memory" one is still present and I'm still having a CTD at the same stage.

Thanks anyway for your proposal.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 14, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Stevie was on the right track, but you need to run your log in trace mode - then the line above the insufficient memory message will tell you which texture is missing. It will name a CAS file.
    This error indicates that this strat model listed in descr_model_strat file is not having the correct texture in the model_strat\textures folder. Search for the CAS file and if all the textures listed with it are present then you will have to open the CAS file with Notepad and look at the bottom for a file name. Simply copy any of the other textures and give it that name.
    If you have problems with identifying the texture then post the last lines again.

To change the log from error mode to trace mode, change it in your mod's CFG file (opens with Notepad).

[log]
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt
    level = * error * trace
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM.