Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion & Comments

Default Re: General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    No, we decided to cancel the whole thing, and instead devote our time to dog breeding. A fascinating field.
    Ah yes, sarcasm.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Or is it a wonderful dose of irony?

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

No, we decided to cancel the whole thing, and instead devote our time to dog breeding. A fascinating field.
    How exciting, any particular breeds

Signature made by Joar

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

lol @ Joar, that actually made me laugh out loud too, properly and not just metaphorically.

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    lol @ Joar, that actually made me laugh out loud too, properly and not just metaphorically.
    I fear there may have been more to the joke than I originally suspected. Perhaps I need to study European comedy more thorougly.
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; February 23, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

First Citizen, no need to study european comedy! IMHO it is a matter of points of view: The difference between sarcasm and irony sometimes could be very, very subtle, in this case I see an hybrid form, between sarcasm and irony, but everyone sees the things from the perspective of his personal tastes o.c.!

No, you're right FCG, it was sarcasm at it's best, it's just I looked first at Joar's avatar, then read what he said, and just could not help but burst out laughing. Plus, it's so out of character. I don't think I've ever seen Joar joke before, the scene was just set perfectly lol... I mean, dog breeding? C'mon, it makes me laugh just thinking of it!

I think there wa s also some good irony, in the end the joke had not a strong aggressive or derisive or provocative nature, it is a mix between sarcasm (it was clear that he was joking and saying: what a silly question!) but it was not provocative against the person, so also a good percentage of irony!
    FCG do you search for irony? Well read Oscar Wilde!
    Do you want the sarcasm at the top? read Karl Marx!
    Joar created a mix between German sarcasm and British irony, and a good one!

In my letterature course : Sarcasm = evil. Irony is like sarcasm but less ''evil''.

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

I could agree, but also the irony might be evil and very evil! IMHO it is a problem of 'weight', the sarcasm is heavier, the irony is lighter!
    The Germans are notoriously heavier than the British, and Before Joar arrives saying that I'm doing ethnicistic statements, I say that I'm speaking about social psycology, taht is really a different thing than ethnicism.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletianus View Post
    In my letterature course : Sarcasm = evil. Irony is like sarcasm but less ''evil''.
    Ouch. I guess that makes me an evil/bad man. Alot of my classmates in high school used to get mad at me cause they said that I was "so sarcastic."
    Before this discussion continues any further, and we are subsequently disciplined for being off-topic, perhaps we should continue it in the Tavern.

So yeah, um, sarcasm is evil eh?

Way ahead of you boys.

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    Ah yes, sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse
    Or is it a wonderful dose of irony?
    "Sarcony"?

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda
    Plus, it's so out of character. I don't think I've ever seen Joar joke before
    Now, I've noticed a tendency for this thread to get rather silly. Now I do my best to keep things moving along, but I'm not having things getting silly. Those last two posts I did got very silly indeed. And that last one about the dogs was even sillier. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do, except perhaps my wife and some of her friends. Oh yes, and Captain Johnson. Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point. Now, let's have a good, clean, healthy outdoor thread. Get some air into your lungs. Ten, nine, eight and all that...

I've noticed that there's very few fans of pop cultural reference here...

You mentioned your wife likes a good laugh. Tell me, is she a goer? Dos she go? Ey? Eh? Know what I mean, known what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge say no more ey? Does she like photography? CANDID photography? Say no more, a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat

She goes all right...

I've noticed that there's very few fans of pop cultural reference here...
    Well, seeing as how I didn't really know a whole lot about Alan Partridge, it seems your version of pop culture defers from mine. However, I have heard and watched Absolutely Fabulous, which is pretty friggin' hilarious!

lol my girlfriend got me into that, at first I was like oh God, your typical sunday night nothing else on tv she likes it I know I'm going to hate it attitude, but it was actually pretty hilarious.

Waiting to know haw the mod RO will address the problem of the christian religion, and in the hope of being able to conduct some good old full scale persecutions , I'm reading A. Goldsworthy book: 'The Fall of the West. The Slow Death of the Roman Superpower', that I find a good and interesting work.

I found this very funny episode, describing the interrogation of a suspected christian bishop by a Roman Governor:

Governor: "Episcopus es?".......('Are you a Bishop?')
    Bishop:.... "Sum".......................('I am')
    Governor: "Fuisti"..................... ('You was!')

Do you see? Also in the III century there were some good and capable provincial Governors!!
    What a beautiful language is the Latin!! So....concise and effective!!

I know this is probably asking alot... but could you guys by any chance implement 0-turn recruitment in this mod, as a seperate option? I've fallen in love with Roma Surrectum II's system.
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; March 31, 2012 at 09:36 PM.