Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Maximus_54's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Lawl, forgot i posted here.....Any battle of any kind in any mod. Anything that has Medieval II..........

Possibly something new - I'm getting first turn CTD during Slave turn and no entry in the log.
    Later i found it was caused by GoodCommander having value 2
    here is the statement from descr strat:

character sub_faction spain, Hernando Diaz, named character, male, age 26, x 66, y 153 ;Pamplona
    traits Supplies 1 , Turnsaway 12 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1
    and here is the trait :

Trait GoodCommander
    Characters family
    AntiTraits BadCommander

Level Promising_Commander
    Description Promising_Commander_desc
    EffectsDescription Promising_Commander_effects_desc
    GainMessage Promising_Commander_gain_desc
    Threshold 1

Effect Command 1

Level Aspiring_Commander
    Description Aspiring_Commander_desc
    EffectsDescription Aspiring_Commander_effects_desc
    GainMessage Aspiring_Commander_gain_desc
    Threshold 3

Effect Command 2
    Effect MovementPoints 2

Level Proven_Commander
    Description Proven_Commander_desc
    EffectsDescription Proven_Commander_effects_desc
    GainMessage Proven_Commander_gain_desc
    Threshold 7

Effect Command 3
    Effect MovementPoints 2
    Effect LineOfSight 2

Level Great_Commander
    Description Great_Commander_desc
    EffectsDescription Great_Commander_effects_desc
    GainMessage Great_Commander_gain_desc
    Threshold 16

Effect Command 4
    Effect Authority 1
    Effect MovementPoints 3
    Effect LineOfSight 3

Level Legendary_Commander
    Description Legendary_Commander_desc
    EffectsDescription Legendary_Commander_effects_desc
    GainMessage Legendary_Commander_gain_desc
    Epithet Legendary_Commander_epithet_desc
    Threshold 32

Effect Command 5
    Effect Authority 2
    Effect MovementPoints 5
    Effect LineOfSight 5
    if anybody knows why this CTDs occur only to Slave faction and not to others, please let me know. GoodCommander 2 have many other family members of playable factions and those works fine..

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Turnsaway 12
    i think this is the problem
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Ok, so I have a problem that has been labed in a different thread, but I wanna see if this applies to the solutions that were listed: I get a CTD when I try to launch the grand campaign in my mod. It will load the bar all the way, then CTD. The custom battles and historical battles work fine and such, but I cant find out the problem why it CTD when I try to start a campaign.
    When God gives you lemon, FIND A NEW GOD!!!

@ sir_killalot
    which files are you adding to the mod-folder when you get the ctd, which files have you been editing?

i am not quite sure what is the big difference between "trace" and "warning". but i use this entry for the error log:
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * warning
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    i think this is the problem
    I dont think this is a problem - same trait is used with all characters and only this one is causing CTD, plus when i changed goodgeneral from 2 to 1, CTD didnt occured.
    Last edited by JaM; February 20, 2009 at 05:55 AM.

Getting a really strange crash on the custom battle 'unit selection' screen after adding some new units, but only when I mouse over the newer unit cards. pointing the mouse over the older existing unit cards display their stats/description in the little box that appears with no issue. if I then move the mouse over one of the newly added units I get an almost immediate CTD.

Can't find anyone who's had this issue before, but fingers crossed someone can help.

cheers.

well i can think off, edu statistics problem, export units problem if there is no entry or youve gone into brackets or something

I thought it worth noting a ctd I found but not in any forum. If you have an inland sea (like the red sea) and have a region as an island inside it, the map.rwm will be created, but crash before the loading bar. I connected the island region within regions.tga and terrain.tga, one or both fixed the issue. I left heights below sea level so it still looks like an island.
    There you go, hope I saved someone the pain I went through.

okay i've made a new general, but when i try to load the campaign i get a CTD.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

character Franciszek Zabloski, named character, male, age 20, x 173, y 137, portrait francis
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 5 , Intelligent 3 , VictorVirtue 3 , StrategyChivalry 3 , ReligionStarter 1 , NaturalMilitarySkill 3 , Energetic 3
    army
    unit King Wladyslaw exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Polish Nobles exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Dismounted Polish Knights exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Swiss Pikemen Mercs exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    Can any of you see any problems? the problem is in the character himself, not the army i've already tried taking them out and it still didnt work. ive also tried using normal bodyguard, and this didnt help. When i take him out, it works.

P.S. when i copied and pasted
    Code:
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error
    the game itself starts loading and then CTD's with no error message. (i dont even get to main menu )
    Last edited by KarlzBalla; August 05, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlzBalla View Post
    unit King Wladyslaw exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    not sure, but could this be your problem. one of your units is a character.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

I made my own faction using dukeofserbia's excellent guide, but i'm having a problem.
    I can start my mod but on the faction selection screen, as soon as i click a faction's symbol (all factions, not only the new one) i get a CTD. The strange thing is, i can start a campaign with venice ( thats the faction thats already selected when you go to the selection screen) and i could play the campaign without any problem: it didn't CTD during my new faction's turn, i could do diplomacy with them, they had a papal standing etc... i checked my system log and it said this: [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2 (SS probably refers to Stainless Steel, but i dont know what E2 means)
    I am modding Stainless Steel, not vanilla M2TW, but i don't think thats makes a big difference...
    Last edited by Marcus Gallicus; August 06, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

no, thats a unit from one of the historical battles ive already tried to use a standard bodyguard, but it didn't work.

no, thats a unit from one of the historical battles ive already tried to use a standard bodyguard, but it didn't work.
    Why did you write 'portrait Francis' next to his coordinates?

i followed the tutorial on custom portraits http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cter+portraits (i copied rufus's folder)

Edit: i'll post the entire polish descr_strat
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

faction poland, balanced smith
    ai_label catholic
    denari 12000
    denari_kings_purse 2500
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Cracow_Province
    year_founded 0
    population 3000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator poland
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_wall
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_guard
    }
    building
    {
    type temple_catholic small_church
    }
    building
    {
    type market corn_exchange
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    building
    {
    type city_hall town_hall
    }
    }
    settlement castle
    {
    level town
    region Halych_Province
    year_founded 0
    population 1100
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator poland
    building
    {
    type core_castle_building wooden_castle
    }
    building
    {
    type equestrian stables
    }
    }
    character Wladyslaw Herman, named character, male, leader, age 40, x 174, y 136
    traits Factionleader 1 , GoodCommander 2 , PublicFaith 3 , Intelligent 1 , BattleChivalry 4 , StrategyChivalry 3
    army
    unit NE Bodyguard exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit EE Peasants exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit EE Peasant Archers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character Zbigniew Herman, named character, male, heir, age 20, x 192, y 140
    traits Factionheir 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , NaturalMilitarySkill 2 , Intelligent 1 , Bloodthirsty 1 , FathersLegacy 2 , Drink 1
    army

character Boleslaw Herman, named character, male, age 19, x 175, y 147
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , Intelligent 3 , Bloodthirsty 1 , Energetic 1
    army
    unit EE Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit EE Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character Franciszek Zabloski, named character, male, age 16, x 193, y 140, portrait francis
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 5 , Intelligent 3 , VictorVirtue 3 , StrategyChivalry 3 , ReligionStarter 1
    army
    unit Swiss Pikemen Mercs exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character Konrad Psotka, spy, male, age 20, x 168, y 145
    traits GoodSpy 3
    character Godzimir, priest, male, age 46, x 173, y 138
    traits NaturalPriestSkill 3 , GoodDenouncer 1 , PriestLevel 1
    character Agnes, princess, female, age 18, x 173, y 135
    traits IAmPrincess 1 , NaturalPrincess 1 , GoodPrincess 5, FertileWoman 3

character_record Judith, female, age 46, alive, never_a_leader

relative Wladyslaw Herman, Judith, Zbigniew Herman, Boleslaw Herman, Agnes, Franciszek Zabloski, end
    it doesn't CTD anymore, but it takes me back to main menu and system log says theres no end for the family tree, which is there...... might i add that i changed the mothers age from 51 to 46
    Last edited by KarlzBalla; August 07, 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: no more CTD

might i add that i changed the mothers age from 51 to 46
    I remember when i modded EB to change 1 persons age and i was habing the same problem as you. Somebody on the forums told me that if you change 1 persons age, u have to change the whole family's age (so in your case, you have to make everybody 5 years younger). I would advise that you make the mother 51 again and see if it works then.
    Last edited by Marcus Gallicus; August 08, 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Just to give everybody a heads up, this may be relevant for some.

I had been experiencing massive problems playing my mod (Hundert Years War), particularly the battles. The game crashed every time, and sometimes the entire computer restarted.
    Furthermore, the campaign map began showing a disturbing array of graphic glitches.

No matter what I did, nothing helped. The other members of the modding team could see nothing of this sort, and so I began to think that maybe my computer had a problem, so I did everything to it that I could imagine.

Obviously I was alarmed.

Yesterday I was cleaning up my desk, and found my second copy of M2, which I bought when I lost disk 2 of the first one I bought (yes, I am quite chaotic, but then, who every uses disk 2, except for a reinstall).

I reinstalled the entire game using the other disk. The mod now works, no longer crashes, and no longer shows annoying graphic glitches.

There is a lesson in there somewhere.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    hm... yes the tga is 512 by 512 pixels, i use the modpage.tga that came with the .sd mod. i used the same for the sweden add-on and i am pretty sure it worked.
    now at least one of the faction symbols is out of whack. my theory is that i messed up some of the coordinates, perhaps i placed one outside of the tga...
    the main point is that it created two seemingly unrelated ctd`s. one on campaign exit, after browsing through the building/recruitment scrolls. and one when attacking with a unit that started the turn in a settlement, at least for one certain faction and one certain settlement.
    removing the .sd mod solved both problems.
    i will eventually re-do the modpage. first 512 x 512, with fresh coordinates, if it still bugs i will try two 256 x 256 and post the result.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread

I'm just wondering whether the graphic problems taken up here from absinthia was ever resolved?

I ask because I have run into the exact same issue in Deus Lo Vult, trying to add symbols for all 31 factions and getting weird graphics and and hangs/crashes. I mean it loads but the bugs appear after a while, like I've shown here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=323686

What I've done is adding two more files, one sharedpage_02.tga and one stratpage_05.tga containing small and large symbols respectively, these are 512x512.

I was recommended to use XML files instead of using alpaca's SD converter. But it still bugs and crashes after a while

At the moment I'm considering moving all the symbols back into the old files to see if it fixes the bugs, but its much "cleaner" to have them separate from all the other culture-specific UI stuff.

I can send you a link to the files we're using at the moment, if anyone wants to have a look at them. Any help is really appreciated!

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

(I got a PM from uanime5 so here's my findings)

I made one new 256x sharedpage_02 which fits all the small symbols, then split the large ones into three 256x stratpages numbered 5-7 (12 per page except last one). Then edited the coordinates in the XML files.

It seems to work now, the graphic mess and crashes seem to be gone even after alt+tabbing (which was a way to trigger it)

Hopefully this is all going to work now

btw here's my post about this on the DLV forums if you're interested:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...90#post6611190

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

I have added some regions to the vanilla, I play Moors, the game was fine until the crash occured in year 1422 in egypt turn. The log only said "M2TW encountered unspecified error and will now close". I choose "follow ai movement" to see what the AI doing when it crashed, I saw an army of egypt entering the settlement in Kerak Region, then the black screen, and CTD after I press "esc". can anyone help me?
    Last edited by ChivalricKnight; January 26, 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast