Thread: formations

Default formations

Hey i was just wondering if u could give me some help on good formations for rome. When playing with 10 to 25k

Decanus

Default Re: formations

Well it all depends on what faction and army you are using. But generally in a balenced army you will want your cavalry at the rear (or sides) Infantry in the middle and archers at the front. and skirmishing cavalry at the sides..

so:

A - Archers
    LA - Long Ranged Archers
    I - Infantry
    C - Cavalry
    HA - Horse archers

-HA- -A--A--A--A--A--A- -HA-
    ..............-I--I--I--I--I-
    ............CC -LA--LA- CC
    .......................C

Would Probably be a general basis to work on with most factions... Obviously all won't have Horse archers and some won't have infantry worth taking and others won't have Cavalry worth taking. But generally thats an ok formation to go by...

More importantly is the army and unit upgrades. Make sure you use sword/shield upgrades on your units
    Last edited by _TubbZ_; January 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by achillis View Post
    Hey i was just wondering if u could give me some help on good formations for rome. When playing with 10 to 25k

From personal experience, I don't really find formations to be really important to be perfectly honest (unless you're a defensive-minded player where organization can be important). I'll typically deploy conservatively, but once the battle starts, I'll move units around with little regard for keeping it in tact.

As Tubbz said, the most important things are your army composition and upgrades. Your decision-making & your ability to maneuver your troops properly is also crucial.

How you compose your army is based on your faction, your opponent's faction, and how you plan to fight. Don't just copy someone's army unless you understand the philosophy behind it. Play to your own strengths.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; January 23, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    Don't just copy someone's army unless you understand the philosophy behind it. Play to your own strengths.
    Truest thing you ever said Prince
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

"U CAN NEVER PREDICT THE UNEXPECTED"

Thanks for the help
    I Have Not Yet Begun To Fight

JOHN PAUL JONES