Thread: Why do I keep believing in Christianity?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Why do I keep believing in Christianity?

Save there life by drinking venom
    What the heck are you saying
    Show me the info you have on them
    Re-read your interpretations.

16. "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved ; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned .
    17. "These signs will accompany those who have believed : in My name they will cast out demons , they will speak with new tongues ;
    18. they will pick up serpents , and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick , and they will recover ."
    MIND...the mind is clearly stated here. God can allow you to survive a venomous bite if he chooses to, but its safe to assume that if you drink the venom you will die. Thats why we have a concept of thought and mind.
    Where's thought and mind here? It says clear that the one who believes and is baptised will drink venom and survive, which is false.

Nobody worthwhile is saying take the bible literally, your fairly obvious observation that the bible contradicts itself is not breaking news. That's why it's so easy to find scriptural evidence to support both sides of an argument and that's why it's a waste of time.
    Contradictions ain't a news to me, too.

Samuel 2:8 reads: "for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them." Do you know of anyone who takes this passage literally?

Origen, in one of the earliest commentaries on scripture in the 3rd century wrote: "the spiritual truth was often preserved, as one might say, in material falsehood."
    Oh yes, the attempts of alleogrically interpreting many things often lead to strange results, nevertheless people still believe them .
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; January 31, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)