Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cities in Empire: Total War

Default Unique cities

This was supposed to be in MTW2, where each city (especially the major ones) was modelled after it's real life geography and features. This would've really helped make the game more interesting as 75% of the battles were sieges, instead we just got 3 or 4 different random city maps per size.

CA better be putting these in to ETW, this is a feature that should've and could've been in MTW1 even but CA has been too cheap to put any of their staff to work on it (it's clearly not a technical issue, just takes time to make an extra few dozen maps).

different_13's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Unique cities

How is that gonna work when Paris is the same size as several of the old maps combined..

Even if they did make maps that big, can anyone's PC handle the size of that AND the size of several full-stacks on "huge" settings?
    After all, what's the point in making even bigger maps if armies stay the same size?

Also, if the city models (on the battle-map) are pre-determined, how are you going to upgrade the city? (both in terms of "small city" to "huge city", and in terms of what buildings you order built).

Actually, aren't they doing something that lets you see what buildings are in a province by looking on the campaign map?
    God knows how that's gonna work..
    Life, go easy on me

Then I weighed him I said, “Holy ****!” because he weighs 900,000,000,000,000,000 tons. That amazing weight made me say the “S” word.
    for more from the wonderful world of Humber Reloaded, just google it!

Under the patronage of imb39

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

each province is probably gonna have several icons, more if they belong to you.
    the unique city idea is good,but in this era most of the major cities stopped using walls, so seiges would be different, each biulding a fortress.....probably why they decided to have accessible buildings this time.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

imagine fighting inside the Notre Dame, or St Paul's Cathedral (there's a point, buildable wonders would be fun!)

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

build able wonders... hmmmm could be good

Quote Originally Posted by different_13 View Post
    How is that gonna work when Paris is the same size as several of the old maps combined..

Even if they did make maps that big, can anyone's PC handle the size of that AND the size of several full-stacks on "huge" settings?
    After all, what's the point in making even bigger maps if armies stay the same size?
    Cities in TW have never been accurately sized (ancient Rome and Medieval Baghdad were just as large as 18th century Paris), armies aren't to scale either with actual real life numbers being 5 - 10 times higher than those simulated in the game.

Also, if the city models (on the battle-map) are pre-determined, how are you going to upgrade the city? (both in terms of "small city" to "huge city", and in terms of what buildings you order built).
    The same way it works now? But having the maps for cities based on actual geographic layout would be a nice tough and add atmosphere to the games.

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

Well thing is City Seiges Are like x out in Empire.So i dunno if we will see much of City life anymore.Unless they allow Urban Warfar in the city.
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stradar1 View Post
    Well thing is City Seiges Are like x out in Empire.So i dunno if we will see much of City life anymore.Unless they allow Urban Warfar in the city.
    Around the this time walls are not a big thing cannons could tear a wall down that took years to build in days. the fact is the most that would be worth building is a wooden wall incase they dont have cannons. Fights at towns and cities might be fought outside the the town/citie or within it.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Well you can tell they are thinking about since kingdoms to me seems a testing ground for empire features and it featured more then just the standard square cities.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by Roman14 View Post
    Around the this time walls are not a big thing cannons could tear a wall down that took years to build in days. the fact is the most that would be worth building is a wooden wall incase they dont have cannons. Fights at towns and cities might be fought outside the the town/citie or within it.
    Ow yes i know cannons can Shread Stone Walls Like Paper LOL.Im just saying we prettie much wont see Climb wall fireing guns and stuff at each other allso wont see any cannon blowing up walls anymore like MTW2.I think since Seige is Gone.Why not Add a Invade Bombard City type thing.Like U can Supress a city with an army inside and then Send in ur Army to fight Door to Door AnD inside the city.Allso MEn Trenched along the city.Id think it be cool to bombard a city and watch it Burn to ruins and have to Fight the Enemy Hideing and shooting in all the Debrie and buildings.And I beleave there will be Star Forts So hey thats hardcore so i cant wait.
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Indefinitely Banned

Unique Cities = Not happening

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but knowing CA and considering that unique cities screws up settlement growth... its very unlikely.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

i agree, its potential to add to the game is outweighed by wat it can pissibly take away, plus the fact that seiges wont even be happening in cities.

(i believe its already been confirmed that only star forts can be seiged)
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_makoy View Post
    i agree, its potential to add to the game is outweighed by wat it can pissibly take away, plus the fact that seiges wont even be happening in cities.

(i believe its already been confirmed that only star forts can be seiged)
    Yea but why not Add A fight in the Streets in citys I mean Citys Have allways Played out In wars.Like Invadeing A city Without Walls Still WaSnt Easy I mean u had to Fight On the Streets With Guns And fighting Men In buildings like Urban Warfare It be really cool.Plus Men Were Trenched OuTside City Limits to prevent Armys From Wallking right in there City.

Unlikely to happen since battles during this period mostly took place on a nearby field. Cities and castles have lost their importance. Too bad as I was hoping to see Minas Tirith in a LOTR mod...
    End of an era

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Cities in TW have never been accurately sized (ancient Rome and Medieval Baghdad were just as large as 18th century Paris), armies aren't to scale either with actual real life numbers being 5 - 10 times higher than those simulated in the game.
    The engine used in both RTW and MTWII is going to be replaced with a new engine which may or may not change the scale of battles and the form of battlemaps...

Angmar_nite's Avatar Domesticus
    Spearheading the 57000 dollar average salary invasion!!!!!!! CHINA WILL DOMINATE YOU ALL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stradar1 View Post
    Yea but why not Add A fight in the Streets in citys I mean Citys Have allways Played out In wars.Like Invadeing A city Without Walls Still WaSnt Easy I mean u had to Fight On the Streets With Guns And fighting Men In buildings like Urban Warfare It be really cool.Plus Men Were Trenched OuTside City Limits to prevent Armys From Wallking right in there City.
    I fully agree!

However, can you not capitalize so many letters... It's hard on the eyes asides from being grammatically incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    I guess in modern russia, tank builds you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Burke View Post
    I fully agree!

However, can you not capitalize so many letters... It's hard on the eyes asides from being grammatically incorrect.
    Sorry bout the bunch of capital letters.Its just how i type =PPPPP.Ill do my best to not do that as much.

If they do add some form of level of city battles.They should allow to bombard citys and the army inside the city has a choice to supress the bombardment or stay in the city and defend it when the invadeing armys trys to take the city.Allso u prettie much will have unlimited defence postions in a city.So the invadeing army will have to fight through thick and thin to take every sector and defensive postion.This will add a whole new level of city defence and offence.

Angmar_nite's Avatar Domesticus
    Spearheading the 57000 dollar average salary invasion!!!!!!! CHINA WILL DOMINATE YOU ALL!!!!

Haha no problem!

I'd also like to see the disease actually take effect in a siege. The dead cows were the most useless things ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    I guess in modern russia, tank builds you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Burke View Post
    Haha no problem!

I'd also like to see the disease actually take effect in a siege. The dead cows were the most useless things ever.
    HAHAHA dont remind me of those =(((( it totaly disapointed me i tryed to bombard city with Flying cows from all directions and im sitting at my pc thinking?????????? Huh ok so they just sit there dead on the ground doing nothing.So i see the army inside chillen with some Grilled cows at there feet yum there feeding us to death or somthing.

CA has more important things to do then unique cities. After MTW2's failure they should focus on perfecting what is already available rather then adding new features that are useless (papal election in mtw2).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast