Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faction - Knights of Rhodes

Default Re: Faction - Knights of Rhodes

Have some interesting images and info about some of the Order's artillery pieces in both Rhodes and Malta. Shall upload as soon as I find time to scan.

Bladelok's Avatar Libertus

Don't bother with arty pieces in Malta, I have plenty in my books and I can leave my house right now, go to the fortifications on foot and take my own pictures xD plus the artillery pieces in Malta are either 16th - 18th century pieces or British pieces, you aren't going to find Medieval artillery in Malta trust me. But I'm very much interested in seeing the artillery on Rhodes

My french book about Hospitallers mention the help of Charles Quint to Knights by giving of powder(to resist against pirates and soon), and architectural works on fortifications from this period(16th). But Hospitallers did have small pieces of artillery, from their galleys they disposed of all the stuff than other italians in a period close to the starting date of Tsardoms(about 1380 I means). This consisted by ballistas of all sizes, AND small and movable artillery pieces with vise-jaws which allowed to fix this stuff on the board of the ship or the top of a wall.
    Sure there were not Gross Berthas and suitable architecture in Rhodes, but thats no means thats Hospitallers didn't have artillery.
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; October 30, 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Bladelok's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo Colonna View Post
    Sure there were not Gross Berthas and suitable architecture in Rhodes, but thats no means thats Hospitallers didn't have artillery.
    Never said there wasn't artillery in Rhodes, Caoursin clearly depicts medieval cannons in the 1480 siege illustrations. I'm just saying that you won't find medieval artillery in Malta, not Rhodes. When the Knights arrived in Malta in 1530, they set up HQ in the "Castrum Maris" The medieval fort that existed in the Grand Harbour before the Knights upgraded it and named it St.Angelo. There they only found a "mezzo cannone petriero", two "falconetti" and a few bombards. Needless to say that back then when a cannon went obsolete they didn't really see the point in keeping it in a museum, especially when they had such a small number of them.

Icon3 Tsardoms-Faction - Knights of Rhodes - Caoursin 1496

I see you have some pictures from a 16th century manuscript copy of Caoursin's work. Here is a printed 15th century version.Knights of St. John & Ottomans of the 1480 siege of Rhodes in William Caoursin's Obsidionis Rhodiae Urbis Descriptio, Ulm 1496 edition.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Folio 01v. Caoursin presenting his work to Grandmaster d'Aubusson. or larger image
    Folio 03v. The fleet arriving by sea. or larger image
    Folio 05r. Moles and broken Tower of Saint Nicholas: and the combat on sea and land. or larger image
    Folio 06v. Tower of St. Nicholas, and the Church of St. Anthony. or larger image
    Folio 08r. The Siege of Rhodes. or larger image
    Folio 09v. Seorius being hanged. or larger image
    Folio 10v. Turkish spokesman and Niles Therosolimitanus talking together. or larger image
    Folio 12v. Combat of turks with soldiers and citizens of Rhodes. or larger image
    Folio 13v. A Christian ship is attacked by twenty turkish galleys. or larger image
    Folio 14v. The Turkish Fleet departs. or larger image
    Folio 16v. City of Rhodes demolished: Earthquake. or larger image
    Folio 17v. Death of the Grand Turk. or larger image
    Folio 20v. Zyzymus with several Turks riding. or larger image
    Folio 21v. Brothers Bayezid and Zyzymus with several turks, fighting [each other] turkish fashion. or larger image
    Folio 23r. Zyzymus fleeing on horse with some Turks. or larger image
    Folio 24r. Zyzymus addressing the Sultan, ruler of Babylonia and Egypt. or larger image
    Folio 25v. Zyzymus riding with several Turks. or larger image
    Folio 26v. Zyzymus, with Lamech, kneels before the false prophet Mohammed. or larger image
    Folio 27v. Zyzymus and the Cilician Emir, on foot, conversing. or larger image
    Folio 29v. The Master with Baiuliuis the prioribus: speakers to their front clothed turkish fashion. or larger image
    Folio 30v. Order of Rhodes ship bringing Zyzymus to the Master. or larger image
    Folio 31v. Zyzymus and the captain of the Rhodian fleet conversing. or larger image
    Folio 33r. The Master with Baiuliuis the soldier, who receives turkish ally Zyzymus, converse about this. or larger image
    Folio 35r. The Master and Zyzymus sitting at the table together. or larger image
    Folio 36v. Turkish Sultan: Rhodes wanted peace. or larger image
    Folio 39r. Rhodian ambassadors sitting before three turkish pashas. or larger image
    Folio 40v. Rhodian ambassadors talking with the turkish Sultan. or larger image
    Folio 41v. Turkish ambassador speaking to the master. or larger image
    Folio 43v. Sultan Zyzymus is sent to the ruler of Salletzium(?). or larger image
    Folio 47v. An angel warns the Turk that the right hand of John the Baptist is a gift to the master. or larger image
    Folio 51r. Turkish spokesman presenting the hand of St. John the Baptist. or larger image
    Folio 53v. Prior church in Rhodes, in procession carrying the sacred hand. or larger image
    Folio 55r. Rhodian spokesman hands the letter to the Turk. or larger image
    Folio 56v. Speech of the Rhodian vice-chancellor to the Supreme Pontiff or larger image
    Folio 58v. Zyzymus presented by prior Aruernix to the Supreme Pontiff or larger image
    Folio 60r. William Caoursin, Rhodian vice-chancellor, writing his history or larger image

MIRROR SITE
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Knights of St. John & Ottomans of the 1480 siege of Rhodes in William Caoursin's Obsidionis Rhodiae Urbis Descriptio, Ulm 1496 edition.
    Folio 01v. Caoursin presenting his work to Grandmaster d'Aubusson. or larger image
    Folio 03v. The fleet arriving by sea. or larger image
    Folio 05r. Moles and broken Tower of Saint Nicholas: and the combat on sea and land. or larger image
    Folio 06v. Tower of St. Nicholas, and the Church of St. Anthony. or larger image
    Folio 08r. The Siege of Rhodes. or larger image
    Folio 09v. Seorius being hanged. or larger image
    Folio 10v. Turkish spokesman and Niles Therosolimitanus talking together. or larger image
    Folio 12v. Combat of turks with soldiers and citizens of Rhodes. or larger image
    Folio 13v. A Christian ship is attacked by twenty turkish galleys. or larger image
    Folio 14v. The Turkish Fleet departs. or larger image
    Folio 16v. City of Rhodes demolished: Earthquake. or larger image
    Folio 17v. Death of the Grand Turk. or larger image
    Folio 20v. Zyzymus with several Turks riding. or larger image
    Folio 21v. Brothers Bayezid and Zyzymus with several turks, fighting [each other] turkish fashion. or larger image
    Folio 23r. Zyzymus fleeing on horse with some Turks. or larger image
    Folio 24r. Zyzymus addressing the Sultan, ruler of Babylonia and Egypt. or larger image
    Folio 25v. Zyzymus riding with several Turks. or larger image
    Folio 26v. Zyzymus, with Lamech, kneels before the false prophet Mohammed. or larger image
    Folio 27v. Zyzymus and the Cilician Emir, on foot, conversing. or larger image
    Folio 29v. The Master with Baiuliuis the prioribus: speakers to their front clothed turkish fashion. or larger image
    Folio 30v. Order of Rhodes ship bringing Zyzymus to the Master. or larger image
    Folio 31v. Zyzymus and the captain of the Rhodian fleet conversing. or larger image
    Folio 33r. The Master with Baiuliuis the soldier, who receives turkish ally Zyzymus, converse about this. or larger image
    Folio 35r. The Master and Zyzymus sitting at the table together. or larger image
    Folio 36v. Turkish Sultan: Rhodes wanted peace. or larger image
    Folio 39r. Rhodian ambassadors sitting before three turkish pashas. or larger image
    Folio 40v. Rhodian ambassadors talking with the turkish Sultan. or larger image
    Folio 41v. Turkish ambassador speaking to the master. or larger image
    Folio 43v. Sultan Zyzymus is sent to the ruler of Salletzium(?). or larger image
    Folio 47v. An angel warns the Turk that the right hand of John the Baptist is a gift to the master. or larger image
    Folio 51r. Turkish spokesman presenting the hand of St. John the Baptist. or larger image
    Folio 53v. Prior church in Rhodes, in procession carrying the sacred hand. or larger image
    Folio 55r. Rhodian spokesman hands the letter to the Turk. or larger image
    Folio 56v. Speech of the Rhodian vice-chancellor to the Supreme Pontiff or larger image
    Folio 58v. Zyzymus presented by prior Aruernix to the Supreme Pontiff or larger image
    Folio 60r. William Caoursin, Rhodian vice-chancellor, writing his history or larger image

druzhina345
    sites of wargaming interest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12