Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helios Issue #22

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Helios Issue #22

1) there was an explicit agreement about me not being mentioned in helios.
    2) taking stances on discussion.

Not good issue.

Newspapers can take stances on discussion, and we're technically the TWC newspaper, so why can't we? You don't see the Daily Express going round going "Diana may have been murdered by the Royals...or, on the other hand, she might not have, its completely up in the air." They're clearly on the side of the conspiracy theorists; you can't expect to have completely unbiased reviews.

And also, I'm now going to stalk you for the next issue and mention you repeatedly

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    Newspapers can take stances on discussion, and we're technically the TWC newspaper, so why can't we? You don't see the Daily Express going round going "Diana may have been murdered by the Royals...or, on the other hand, she might not have, its completely up in the air." They're clearly on the side of the conspiracy theorists; you can't expect to have completely unbiased reviews.

And also, I'm now going to stalk you for the next issue and mention you repeatedly
    That is exactly the difference between a newspaper and a tabloid. Essentially, from something at times useful and pleasant, the Helios is becoming a matter of controversy.

And by the way, you may try to do it. On the other hand, it is interesting to ask oneself if this isn't in contrast with the ToS. Who knows?
    Last edited by Ummon; January 19, 2008 at 07:16 AM.

I wasn't aware it was becoming controversial at all, I haven't seen anyone complain about our stance on anything, and we still remain a 'pleasant' read -- the Helios reports on the community, provides an enjoyable read about TWC; it does not get involved with the controversy or disagreements within the Tribunal.

And, is quoting someone repeatedly within a content article breaching ToS? I'm not sure. Unless you post a lot in the Arts or Ludus, though, I'm pretty sure I'll find it difficult, Ummon.

In the moment a stance is taken on a discussion, a Helios "journalist" posting in any forum can:

1) express his opinion in normal posts.
    2) express it in the Helios too.

This makes Helios "journalists" essentially able to deviate the trend of free discussion in TWC. Is your opinion worth two of mine?

It is a breach of the ToS, for example, if I politely ask to be left out of your "newspaper" and you tell me:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    Clearer?

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon View Post
    1) there was an explicit agreement about me not being mentioned in helios.
    2) taking stances on discussion.
    Just to interject over this complaint, I wasn't aware of any such agreement, having just taken over as editor, and given the shuffling of my staff that has occurred recently, I don't think whoever wrote the article you are referring to was either. You wish not to be mentioned in the Helios? That's fine, I'll instruct my staff that way. Mind if I ask why?

As to taking stances on discussion, we aim to cover the discussion in the forums as best we can, but that does not leave us unable to offer our own comments and views on the discussion topics, so taking stances is not necessarily a bad thing. I would often, when writing my VV article, point to a certain discussion topic, highlight the views of certain members and then add my own stance on that issue.

Edit: Just to add, if there are any other issues whatsoever, feel free to post them here, PM me or speak to me on MSN, and I'll do my level best to sort them out.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

I'm damn proud to be in tBP's house after reading that Editorial.

Well done, good sir!

Well done, it's good to see that member sof the site have golden tongues...well fingers. enjoyed the humor interjection.

General_Vladimir's Avatar Miles

Very nice guys congratulations!! I think its a wonderful thing!!

I read every one of them and I must say kudos to you all who get involved in it. It's like a Total War Newspaper which is facinating and covers nearlly every facet of life and gaming.

Again, give yourselves a pat on the back and a pint of whiskey or something
    Emperor of the Total War clan, the Warriors Of Troy!!!Warriors of Troy are Recruiting!! We are a Total War Clan
    Forums: http://warriorsoftroy.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Fairly new member thanks for that one Well I guess a year goes faster when you got a great forum to visit all the time

Well I liked it, the CM part was good to

Oooh, a one-man boycott.

Scorch, looks like we're out of jobs.
    I was unaware that you guys actually needed readers....

...and when Hitler received his Luftwaffles, he said "where is mein kampflimentary coffee?"

Patrician

We don't, really. They're just a nice afterthought.

Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Agreed.

I still like it...but my opinion doesn't matter because you don't need me....

...and when Hitler received his Luftwaffles, he said "where is mein kampflimentary coffee?"

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffels View Post
    Agreed.

I still like it...but my opinion doesn't matter because you don't need me....
    Damn straight.

Hang on, what were you boycotting about anyway? Who's boycotting? What's wrong? Beyond the smartass comments earlier, I'm actually rather confused.

- Mark Twain

oh, wowee! i am very surprised to suddenly come running into my name while reading, and such a shame it had to be a rather technologically embarrassing situation!

and tBP dont worry about it, this is how it went and goes ... race -> gender -> race again -> gays -> ?
    you have to understand the world needs some time to face each of these, and even though the tension and ignorance may never completely dissipate, it will eventually come to pass.
    Last edited by snuggans; March 20, 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12