Thread: Free upkeep?

Tiro

Default Free upkeep?

Is it intentional in this mod that none of your units get free upkeep whilst garrisoned? That seems to be the case in my game (playing as Oman). Just wondering if this is a bug or intended gameplay?

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Free upkeep?

I was wondering this too. Shouldn't some of the sucky militia levy units get free upkeep?

i think that BC does not really needs free upkeep units...
    IMHO the income is pretty big, and I am able to field Heavy Cavalry armies without a problemm....
    Peace and prosperity to you noble sadiq

Indefinitely Banned

Yeah, we won't be adding free upkeep units until the cash generated is lowered.

Ahiga said this to that question:

Ahiga
    No units currently use free upkeep. Some probably will get it in the future (Levies and 'militia' like units, such as Khorasani Tribal Spears, or Sergeant Quilted Spearmen).

anaztazioch's Avatar Centenarius

Make free_upkeep_units twice as expencive in upkeep. If they are in city, they do their job and economy works. If they are in field, not only you have to support them with food and wages, they dont work in cities and economy suffers.
    Militias should have free_upkeep "trained, equipped and upkeeped as military service is their part job". Levies are just "peasants" put into army "payment for military service is not being kiled"

With free upkeep troops it's just too easy to fill a settlement full of crappy, free units, and let it defend itself.

Cheers

Personally I'm for free upkeep for militias, but not for financial reasons. As you have your cities full of certain number of militias, its always fun to defent assaulting strong army from the city garrisoned by couple of spear militias and archer militias. This kinda victories make me feel great general - when u defeat 3x opponent with crappy army of citizens
    Anyway as you see lot of people ask for free upkeep militias, so it will only make us feel better. If no, you will still have great mod for MTWII.

Free upkeep is one of the things that makes m2tw really cool, and its really hard to go to war with the turks as the ERE because not enough wealth is being generated by the cities, is anyone else having trouble getting the cities to generate money?

anaztazioch's Avatar Centenarius

@ Code_Knight

Many of us are complaing about easy money gaining. Play few turns, have 6 cities give atleast 10k/turn and each if your merhcant 1000/turn.

Its the Script that gives 3 full stacks to Turks if Human plays as ERE, maybe this makes you think you get little money ?

It's no fun to have capital defended by extra heavy infantry when your army is gone for far away march of conquest. What about challenging fights with militia units?

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

im making 20k+ per turn...i dont need free upkeep =)

I make even more, but its not the money thing, the cities should be defended by cheap and relatively weak units, or we just want to make a citadel out of every settlement and autoresolve every time anybody gets foolishly close to it?

Maybe factions with crappy economy could get free upkeep to balance some things betwean factions.
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

And this is how it was historically - some of the troops were maintained by the city itself and no expenses were paid for them by king or state treasury. I mean they could have high quality troops in any city as we have in game, but vast majority relied on militia in times of trouble. And let's not forget that AI will also get free militias, so game won't get harder or simpler just because of it, it will become more interesting and closer to history. And MTWII BC is A HISTORICAL GAME! at least in some point of view

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Yeah, we won't be adding free upkeep units until the cash generated is lowered.
    How hard are you going to nerf income ?

« There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it.

A politician who portrays himself as 'caring' and 'sensitive' because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he's willing to try to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't?

And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he'll do good with his own money - if a gun is held to his head.» - P. J. O'Rourke