Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Crescent TWC Campaign (01-14-08)

Default Re: Broken Crescent TWC Campaign (01-14-08)

Aww rajputs taken I'll go... Imamate of Oman.

It doesn't say difficulty... but if the battles are very hard I'm not interested (no more then hard plz!). Also the second rajputs can't be harder then the imamate of oman.. so you may as well enable them. This isn't v.s. ai.. small factions can band together. I mean if they allied with the sindh it wouldn't be too bad.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; January 21, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Rodrico Stak's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
    Aww rajputs taken I'll go... Imamate of Oman.

It doesn't say difficulty... but if the battles are very hard I'm not interested (no more then hard plz!). Also the second rajputs can't be harder then the imamate of oman.. so you may as well enable them. This isn't v.s. ai.. small factions can band together. I mean if they allied with the sindh it wouldn't be too bad.
    Rajputs haven't been taken. It hasn't been updated yet - I had just changed my mind from the Solanki Rajputs to the Turkish Sultanate, so no worries just yet!

Why is this taking so long?
    We have the players ,they are all ready and the patch just came out

Can we start now?

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceV View Post
    Why is this taking so long?
    We have the players ,they are all ready and the patch just came out

Can we start now?
    For sure, we have like almost every single faction filled....
    Blut und Boden

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    For sure, we have like almost every single faction filled....
    Agreed. The less AI the better the game Patience is a virtue lol

plus it gives me time to finish the other 50 million pbem/hotseat games i'm playing
    Member of S.I.N

Xfire: Ulfang
    Steam: Gavmundo
    Xbox 360: Gavmundo
    PS3: Gavmundo

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

just curious...how does this online campaign work??? really confused

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMarine View Post
    just curious...how does this online campaign work??? really confused
    Download save
    Load it up
    Enter password
    take turn (fight out fights v.s. ai... autoresolve v.s. human)
    Save game at next players screen
    send save

repeat... diplomacy between players takes a turn to comeplete and isn't instant (you send offer and then it gets accepted or rejected).

Unfortunately this could take a week or 2 for every person to have their shot for that turn. My suggestion is to divide the players up into: US, Eu and Asia. Then have the turn order changed accordingly (can't remember exactly which file the turn order is based off... but anyway).

I played a kingdoms: Crusades game with 5 people like this. It was really fun... until someone logged off I don't really have high expectations... be great fun with some friends and a lan... however timezones kind of kill things like this.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; January 21, 2008 at 10:05 PM.

What factions are left?I would be interested in the Seljuk Turks,but that would mean ending my 1.0 AAR....
    Last edited by Imperator of Rome; January 21, 2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

So all battles against Human controlled players will be auto-resolved? Sounds fair, but there won't be much fighting ...

And I'll repeat, please let this game start this week with my turn at the beginning, or put my turn at the very end so that I'll be able to play it when I'm back from the Alps. If this isn't possible, I will have to drop out of this, but I hope that won't be necessary. This could be really fun !

Everybody ready ?

Quote Originally Posted by barcamartin View Post
    So all battles against Human controlled players will be auto-resolved? Sounds fair, but there won't be much fighting ...

And I'll repeat, please let this game start this week with my turn at the beginning, or put my turn at the very end so that I'll be able to play it when I'm back from the Alps. If this isn't possible, I will have to drop out of this, but I hope that won't be necessary. This could be really fun !

Everybody ready ?
    Most people don't know to mod turn order btw. TBH that half includes me... I could probably work it out after 15 minutes of experimenting though.

Well, if we don't mix with the starting order, I'll be at the beginning since the Ayyubids are one of the first factions in the faction list. So if it starts this week that'll be perfect, but if we start next week it means that I won't be able to play my turn, and thereby the factions after me will have to wait or skip my turn.

Well it isn't possible to do it another way. Remember this is basically a single player game (within your own game turn) but then passing the saves on. The players aren't within the same game at the same time so you can't have realtime battles except against the AI. Even if you love to fight every battle out on the map until you've tried it you don't know how enjoyable it is Diplomacy (in game) is excellent and really adds to the atmosphere. You receive your messages for other players each turn before you start your turn. Of course the more players the longer it takes you to read them. I play in a 5 or 6 player SS game and a 4 player Britannia game and the diplomacy is fine but with this game each turn will take longer to arrive and if you get a lot of diplomacy each turn you play will take a while. Still it's worth it though.

A game like this isn't for the impatient though. If you imagine how many players there are with a turn around for each players turn of upto 24 hrs. It could take a week (or more) to get your turn.
    Member of S.I.N

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

let's start tomorrow! What do you think? armatus?

New version of all 77BC and 58BC can be found HERE

Well, Gavmundo, it's possible to fight against player-controlled factions, but the AI controls there armys. But that would be unfair since the AI is so incompetent compared to a human player, so auto-calcing all battles versus Human-controlled armies would be the right thing to do .

I'm definitely on for a start tomorrow, would suit me perfectly.

I wanted to know if everyone wanted to wait after having time to test the patch and make sure that we wanted to go ahead with it instead of wait for 2.0

So since everyone wants to start we can do that. But first let me make sure I got the list right.

Second we will be fighting out the battles (if you choose) so that means very hard settings as I do want a bonus for my army when I'm not the one in charge of defending. It totally defeats the purpose of playing a beautiful mod like Broken Crescent if we are simply going to auto-resolve all battles especially when we have fewer AI factions.

If you want auto resolve this is not the campaign for you.

Well, Gavmundo, it's possible to fight against player-controlled factions, but the AI controls there armys. But that would be unfair since the AI is so incompetent compared to a human player, so auto-calcing all battles versus Human-controlled armies would be the right thing to do .

I'm definitely on for a start tomorrow, would suit me perfectly.
    Erm that exactly what I said you can only fight AI armies. You aren't fighting the player if they aren't in control of their army You can only fight against AI in games such as this.

As with the SS game we're playing I don't really agree with this as I think it favours the player. Even on V hard I've never lost a battle against the AI so in my opinion it's fairer to autoresolve but either way you have a good chance of losing your generals for the defending army so it's not a huge issue. I'm more than happy to go with it though.
    Last edited by Gavmundo; January 22, 2008 at 09:06 AM.
    Member of S.I.N

One they are using lusted and real combat for the AI with some tweaking

Two we will be using very hard settings

Three everyone has the same handicap, it just mean your campaign game will have to be that much better to compensate for those instances when someone decides to attack you.

Plan ahead for it and be ready and when you are attacked strike back. If you want a easy game this won't be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    One they are using lusted and real combat for the AI with some tweaking

Two we will be using very hard settings

Three everyone has the same handicap, it just mean your campaign game will have to be that much better to compensate for those instances when someone decides to attack you.

Plan ahead for it and be ready and when you are attacked strike back. If you want a easy game this won't be it.
    I know it won't be easy I'm just saying if the player is experienced enough playing out the battles puts the initiative firmly on the attackers side and auto resolve makes it more random. I have allsort of ai tweaks in my games but I've still never lost a battle when I've been the attacker in the single player game. anyway as I said I'm happy to play this way I'm just pointing out I don't actually support that system. If I was running the game I wouldn't allow it but I'm not so that's that lol
    Member of S.I.N

And like I said everyone has the same handicap. But even if we agreed to auto-resolve how would you about policing it? I'm not accusing anyone of foul play but lets be realistic there are a lot of players here and I don't know everyone well enough to say they will definitely honor that agreement so there's no point having it. The game can be just as fun. You just have really think about your moves before you make them like Chess.

And honestly I don't care if you reload the sav file either this will be a tough game if you're used to kicking back watching your funds roll in while playing single player.

But one thing I've learned from the other campaigns I'm in is that really it's not so bad. Because often I've felt oh no! Next turn I'm going to be wiped out! That just isn't the case. Everyone has to deal with everyone else and they can't alway focus directly on one person all the time so I suggest you make alliances and don't jump right out and attack someone without good reason because then you're really asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    And like I said everyone has the same handicap. But even if we agreed to auto-resolve how would you about policing it? I'm not accusing anyone of foul play but lets be realistic there are a lot of players here and I don't know everyone well enough to say they will definitely honor that agreement so there's no point having it.
    but auto resolve is an option before you start isn't it? So if auto resolve was on for all battles then you wouldn't need to police it because no one would be able to fight battles on the battlemap. It is same for everyone but what I'm saying is fighting the battles means that you're rarely going to have a defending army winning if the odds are even and with auto resolve it would be a risk evertime you attack anyone making things more random but then again you're right people could still reload and try again.

I understand why players prefer to play out the battles because it's more interesting although you also then get complaints on how players uber troop armies were wiped out by some inferior force and it's just not realistic so you get both sides of the argument. Remember in SS when you lost your general controlled by AI and were quick to moan about it? ... ok not so much of a moan but still a little moan

But there's no argument here I've already said I'm happy to play this way it just wouldn't be my first choice. There's no problem
    Last edited by Gavmundo; January 22, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
    Member of S.I.N