Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Faction - Ottoman Empire

Default Re: Faction - Ottoman Empire

three crescent moons is not appropriate. three moons symbolize three continents under ottoman rule:europe,asia and africa. but in the time period for this mod ottomans werent controlling all those lands. i think red flag with yellow or white crescent moon looking upwards or to right without any star would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Artizan View Post
    three crescent moons is not appropriate. three moons symbolize three continents under ottoman rule:europe,asia and africa. but in the time period for this mod ottomans werent controlling all those lands. i think red flag with yellow or white crescent moon looking upwards or to right without any star would be more appropriate.
    Yellow Crescent is not good and used less. I still insist on 3 crescent flag but if you insist not to use, i can't say more.

So this one should be OK

The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Ottoman armor of the 14th century:

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

the most common one is the last one tzar showed. the one you show is tribal flag and was abandoned as being the state flag. one crescent moon-either white or yellow- on red flag is appropriate. trust me, i've read several books regarding this and some other issues, i am not just pasting here what is see on wikipedia.

The flag from wiki is made-up flag ,even the guy who post it is not 100% certian about it. The Wiki is only place on the web where you can see that flag.

hmm, still i think white would look better. make the crescent white.

the most common one is the last one tzar showed. the one you show is tribal flag and was abandoned as being the state flag. one crescent moon-either white or yellow- on red flag is appropriate. trust me, i've read several books regarding this and some other issues, i am not just pasting here what is see on wikipedia.
    ok i trust you, and there will be changes on ottoman flags.
    one more thing - i want tho have special flag for yeni ceri units. what should i use ? any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy spong View Post
    yep , but at least they had national uniforms , french , english , german , polish and spanish armies were far far more organised and in some way you could call them professional . ottoman armies were thousand of spahis and nobles who recruit their armies independently and then sultan calls them to do their duty .
    the ydidnt had any typical uniforms
    This could't be more wrong. The Ottomans introduced the first military band and the first professional soldiers to Europe: the Janissaries. The Romans had done it before, but in the medieval period the Ottomans were the first. And yet again they were the first soldiers in Europe who wore uniforms (the Janissaries). The Ottoman army was higly organized, unlike the medieval European armies. This can be seen by the Ottoman expertise in gunpowder and artillery.
    The law is reason free from passion - Aristotle.

The end does NOT justify the means.

Here is a excellent documantry about the Ottoman Empire for the ignorant among us:

http://www.stage6.com/user/Warrior_S...,-The-Ottomans

PS: I suggest you use the first link, because it is better quality.
    Last edited by Janissary; January 09, 2008 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matko View Post
    ok i trust you, and there will be changes on ottoman flags.
    one more thing - i want tho have special flag for yeni ceri units. what should i use ? any suggestions
    each janissary orta had its own flag but as a general flag, i think a red-green zulfiqar banner would be the best choice. i'll provide an image as soon as possible.

Artizan
    tomorrow or some other day ( this weekend ) i will send you the file with banners to take a close look. ill explain everything.
    its about time to complete these banners once for all

The Ottomans usually wore red and green, because red symbolized power and green Islam.

hmm, still i think white would look better. make the crescent white.
    -Well I think that should be yellow ,because of still strong influence of tribal flags,(this is early ottoman state) where most of them have yellow crescents (does't metter in which form )
    Last edited by Tzar; January 10, 2008 at 07:34 PM.

That's true every each Janissary Orta has it's own unique standart. I've found something probably useful for your research guys.

What do you guys think about this one for Janissary
    Last edited by Tzar; January 10, 2008 at 09:15 PM.

I think the Flags with so much Yellow on them are a of the really late Period.
    Correct me if im wrong please.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorboZ View Post
    I think the Flags with so much Yellow on them are a of the really late Period.
    Correct me if im wrong please.
    I just did some extra research and you are wright that Janissary flag is from early 18 century

On this picture you have 16 century 39th orta standard bearer
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Domain_of...post&id=478592
    Last edited by Tzar; January 10, 2008 at 09:42 PM.

Sarmat, please replace first post here with -CoA (erase unit roster-its old one)
    I will make family tree soon and discription of the faction and then I will put units in the second post