Thread: Faction - Kingdom of Naples

Default Faction - Kingdom of Naples

Kingdom of Naples

*Regno di Napoli*

* * * * * * * * * * * UNITS * * * * * * * * * * *

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Tzar; January 31, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Default Re: Faction-Kingdom of Naples

.....to be edited

Tsardoms : Naples Family Tree

kingdom of Naples

kingdom of Naples former state, occupying the Italian peninsula south of the former Papal States. It comprised roughly the present regions of Campania , Abruzzi , Molise , Basilicata , Apulia , and Calabria . Naples was the capital.

In the 11th and 12th cent. the Normans under Robert Guiscard and his successors seized S Italy from the Byzantines. The popes, however, claimed suzerainty over S Italy and were to play an important part in the history of Naples. In 1139 Roger II , Guiscard's nephew, was invested by Innocent II with the kingdom of Sicily , including the Norman lands in S Italy. The last Norman king designated Constance, wife of Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI, as his heir and the kingdom passed successively to Frederick II , Conrad IV , Manfred , and Conradin of Hohenstaufen. Under them S Italy flowered, but in 1266 Charles I (Charles of Anjou), founder of the Angevin dynasty, was invested with the crown by Pope Clement IV, who wished to drive the Hohenstaufen family from Italy. Charles lost Sicily in 1282 but retained his territories on the mainland, which came to be known as the kingdom of Naples. Refusing to give up their claim to Sicily, Charles and his successors warred with the house of Aragón, which held the island, until in 1373 Queen Joanna I of Naples formally renounced her claim.

During her reign began the struggle for succession between Charles of Durazzo (later Charles III of Naples) and Louis of Anjou ( Louis I of Naples). The struggle was continued by their heirs. Charles's descendants, Lancelot and Joanna II , successfully defended their thrones despite papal support of their French rivals, but Joanna successively adopted as her heir Alfonso V of Aragón and Louis III and René of Anjou, and the dynastic struggle was prolonged. Alfonso defeated René and in 1442 was invested with Naples by the pope. His successor in Naples, Ferdinand I (Ferrante), suppressed (1485) a conspiracy of the powerful feudal lords. Meanwhile the Angevin claim to Naples had passed to the French crown with the death (1486) of René's nephew, Charles of Maine. Charles VIII of France pressed the claim and in 1495 briefly seized Naples, thus starting the Italian Wars between France and Spain. Louis XII, Charles's successor, temporarily joined forces with Spain and dethroned Frederick (1501), the last Aragonese king of Naples, but fell out with his allies, who defeated him.

NAPLES FROM THE ANGEVINS TO THE HAPSBURGS

The Angevins

1266-1285
    Charles I

Battle of Tagliacozzo; defeat and execution of Conradin; Charles secures his control over the kingdom

The Sicilian Vespers; Peter III of Aragon takes control of Sicily

1285-1309
    Charles II, the Lame

Peace of Caltabellotta; Aragonese control of Sicily is accepted

1309-1343
    Robert, the Wise, hostage of Aragon ( married Jolanda of Aragon ), supports the Guelf faction against the Papacy ,patron of Literature and Art

1343-1382
    Joanna I; she marries her cousin Andrew of Hungary (younger brother of Louis the Great of Hungary)

Andrew of Hungary murdered with the connivance of Joanna I

1347-48
    Invasion of Louis of Hungary; Joanna flees to Avignon; she obtains permission (1348) to marry Louis of Taranto (d.1362); Louis of Hungary meets resistance, withdraws

Second invasion of Louis of Hungary fails(peace treaty, 1351)

Joanna marries James of Majorca (d.1375)

Peace with Frederick IV of Sicily; he is recognized as 'King of Trinacria' (terms accepted by Pope Gregory XI only after modification, 1374)

Joanna marries Otto of Brunswick

Joanna disinherits Charles of Durazzo, names Louis of Anjou as her heir

Revolt by Charles of Durazzo; Joanna imprisoned and strangled

The Angevins of Durazzo

1382-1386
    Charles III of Durazzo; he is opposed by Louis of Anjou (d.1384)

Charles III returns to Hungary, where he is killed (1386)

1386-1414
    Ladislas

1386-93
    Regency of Queen Mother Marguerite; conflicts with Louis II of Anjou (1386-1400) who holds the city of Naples

Ladislas successfully occupies the city of Naples

Ladislas occupies Rome which Pope Gregory XII cannot hold

Renewed conflict with Louis II of Anjou; Ladislas forced to withdraw from Rome but then reoccupies it

Sudden death of Ladislas in Rome ends Neapolitan bid for hegemony in Italy

1414-1435
    Joanna II

1414-15
    In first months of Joanna's reign power is exercised by the Queen's favourite, Pandolfo Alopo, as chamberlain

Joanna marries James de la Marche; he executes Alopo (1415) but soon rouses opposition from the Barons and is confined (1416); on his release he leaves the country (1419)

Sergianni Caracciolo becomes the Queen's favourite; Pope Martin V is at first favourable

Caracciolo alienates the condottiere Muzio Attendolo Sforza and Pope Martin V

Joanna is attacked by Louis III of Anjou, Martin V, Sforza; defended by Caracciolo with the assistance of Alfonso of Aragon and the condottiere Braccio da Montone

Joanna adopts Alfonso of Aragon as her heir

Alfonso and Braccio quarrel with Caracciolo; Caracciolo has Joanna adopt Louis III of Anjou as her heir, make peace with Martin V

Caracciolo, having made enemies among the nobility, is assassinated. Alfonso of Aragon gains influence

Joanna again adopts Alfonso of Aragon as her heir

1433-34
    Louis III campaigns to take over the kingdom, but dies (Nov. 1434)

Joanna on her death (Feb.) bequeaths the kingdom to René of Anjou (brother of Louis III)

The Aragonese

1435-1458
    Alfonso I of Aragon, the Magnanimous

1435-42
    Conflict with the forces of René of Anjou

Alfonso occupies the city of Naples; arranges for his illegitimate son Ferrante to succeed him there (while his brother John succeeds in Aragon and Sicily); Pope Eugenius IV comes to terms (1443)

1458-1494
    Ferrante (Ferdinand I)

1458-64
    Conflict with the forces of René, then John of Anjou

1480-81
    Turkish occupation of Otranto

The Great Barons Conspiracy (Francesco Coppola Count of Sarno,Antonello Sanseverino Prince of Salerno, Pietro Guevara Marchese del Vasto , Pirro del Balzo Prince of Altamura , in the Angevin interest, with support from the Pope; Ferrante (1486) makes terms with some of the barons, arrests and later executes the ringleaders , makes terms with the Pope

1494-1495
    Alfonso II

Confronted with French invasion, Alfonso abdicates, retires to Messina (Jan.), dies (Dec.)

1495-1496
    Ferrandino (Ferdinand II)

Ferrandino retreats to Sicily before the French (Feb.)

Charles VIII of France occupies Naples (Feb.-May)

Ferrandino returns to the mainland (July) and regains control of the kingdom but dies (Oct. 1496)

1496-1501
    Frederick of Altamura (uncle of Ferrandino)

Secret Treaty of Granada between Ferdinand of Aragon and Louis XII of France for the conquest and partition of Naples (Nov.)

Joint Franco-Spanish invasion; Frederick of Altamura is forced into exile (Aug.; he dies in France, 1504; but his son the Duke of Calabria takes up residence in Spain)

1501-1516
    Ferdinand the Catholic, of Aragon

1503-04
    Following disagreements between the French and Spanish conquerors of the kingdom, hostilities break out and the French are driven out (they abandon their claim by treaty, 1505)

1503-07
    Gonsalvo da Cordova acts as the king's lieutenant in Naples{ Viceroy } (his most important successor under Ferdinand is Raymond of Cardona, 1509-22)

On the death of Ferdinand, Naples, with Spain, is inherited by his grandson Charles of Hapsburg (Charles I of Spain, after 1519 Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire)

SICILY UNDER ANGEVIN AND ARAGONESE RULE

Angevin conquest, revolt, Aragonese intervention

1266-1282

Charles of Anjou becomes king as a result of his victories on the mainland; makes Naples his capital rather than Palermo

The 'Sicilian Vespers', a popular uprising against the French in which many are massacred; Peter III of Aragon, inheritor of the Hohenstaufen claims in Sicily and South Italy as the husband of Manfred's daughter, lands on the island with an armed force

1282-1285
    Peter III is crowned as Peter I of Sicily, refuses homage to the pope

1285-1295
    James I (second son of Peter) becomes King of Sicily while his elder brother Alfonso III inherits the Crown of Aragon

On the death of Alfonso III James I of Sicily becomes also James II of Aragon (to 1327); returning to Aragon, he places his younger brother Frederick in charge of Sicily

The Independent Monarchy

1296-1337
    Frederick II (younger brother of James I), on James coming to terms with Pope Boniface VIII and abdicating the kingship of Sicily (1295), with the backing of the Sicilian Estates declares himself an independent king; he is excommunicated by the Pope and war against Naples follows

Treaty of Caltabellotta, with Charles II of Naples; Frederick's position is reluctantly acknowledged, but the Angevins will continue to make attempts to dislodge the Aragonese from Sicily

1337-1342
    Peter II

1342-1355
    Louis, inheriting the throne at the age of four, is unable to establish a strong government and accepts a tributary relationship to the papacy. Baronial clans (especially the Chiaramonte and the Ventimiglia) quarrel for power

1355-1377
    Frederick III, the Simple. Intermittent war against Naples continues

Naples and the papacy come to terms with Frederick as a tributary King of 'Trinacria'

1377-1402
    Mary of Aragon (daughter and heiress of Frederick III); government is effectively taken over by the heads of four baronial families who style themselves 'vicars'

Mary is taken to Aragon and married to Martin 'the Younger' (grandson of John II of Aragon); they return with a military force (1392), defeat the opposing barons, and rule jointly until Mary's death (1402). Martin repudiates the treaty of 1372 and rules as King of Sicily

1402-1409
    Martin I, the Younger (widower of Mary of Aragon) rules alone

1409-1410
    Martin II, the Elder (Martin I of Aragon, father of Martin the Younger) inherits Sicily after his son's death

Union with Aragon

On the death of Martin the Elder, Sicily though subject to disorder remains in union with Aragon, and is ruled by the kings of the House of Trastamara (1412-1516) and then by the Hapsburgs; mainland Naples is also in union with Aragon under Alfonso the Magnanimous (1435-1458)

Attachment 18893Attachment 18898Attachment 18901Attachment 18902

Attachment 18895Attachment 18896Attachment 18897Attachment 18894
    Last edited by Baron Vlad Felix; October 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM.

Default Re: Faction - Kingdom of Naples

Lot of titles for ancillaries or for great officers and same for clerks; through the history of napolitan dynasty: BRANCACCIO DEL VESCOVO
    http://www.genmarenostrum.com/pagine...IO-VESCOVO.htm

Like "Esattore della Gran Dogana di Napoli"
    "Collector of the Great Customs of Naples"
    or
    Magister Hostiarius (Maggiordomo Maggiore della Real Casa)