Thread: Battle/Campaign Stories

Default Battle/Campaign Stories

Since I have come about the newer, more stable IJ mod, I decided to get going quick. I figured a thread where folks could share tales of battlefield glory and martial prowess was needed here.

Sadly, I can't do a campaign as Julian in 355 AD because I still have issues with a CTD when scrolling over France. So I decided to pick a faction that I thought would be interesting, the Lakhmid Arabs.

More or less, I tried to make alliances with the Romans and the Sassanids. I captured the rebel city that covers most of Arabia, and kept a force up north in case the Sassanids came after me.

I made a mistake, though, by allying with each, they made peace with one another. Thus, the Romans soon besieged my city in the West, and the Sassanids made movements on my east.

That was the result of one of the most difficult and exciting battles I've ever played, at least when it comes down to RTW and it's mods. I must say, congratulations folks, you did a superb job.

Oh yes, along with that happy event, my Western city fell, and now my weakened army is besieged in my capital. But hey, I won the battle!

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Battle/Campaign Stories

Glad you enjoyed the fight.

A few people seem to enjoy the 355AD campaign as it probably is the most challenging. Also, glad to see someone using the Lakmids for a change.

Cheers

They are certainly quite a difficult faction to use, especially since they are right near the Romans and Sassanids.

Of course, now that I can scroll over Gaul, this campaign shall wait until I've had my fill of Barbarian blood as Julian.

All Hail the great Caesar Julianus!!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Did somebody mention the Lakhmids?

Yes, I believe your fav boys are making an impression elsewhere in the universe.

Just a little teaser for you all.

You may be aware of your history where Julian invaded the Sassanid Persians, only to be killed in the process.

Some say that he wanted to relive the glory of Alexander the Great (what good roman general/emperor didn't). The new/coming IJV3.0 may give you that chance. To stroll across central asia to.............India and take on the Indian Gupta Empire with elephants!!

Stay tuned.

Since the title of this thread is "Battle/Campaign Stories" I think this is the best place to post my comment. To be honest, I hadn't played this mod since the first version was released with ibfd 7.04, back then it was very unstable and had to give it up because of the many CTDs and the problems with the activation of the scripts. I've downloaded the most recent version and its patch today and started a 355AD campaign, you know the one in Gaul; and what I have to say is: Holy crap!!!!!! There are so many barbarians at the gates at the beginning and the Roman armies are numerous too. That's a guarantee for amazing battles from the very beginning of the campaign. I'm having an amazing time, although my eyes are getting red and my fingers numbed after many hours of playing (from early in the morning IBFD, from noon Rio's mod and a from a few hours now, this one). I think I'll put some eyedrops into my eyes, my fingers into a cup with ice and will continue to play.

Yes, the Gaul Campaign is the more challenging one. That's why I developed it. Whereas the main 361AD campaign has Julian in control of the whole empire, which i think is the only mod to give you that, the Gallic campaign starts off very very intense, and as you see you start building up some pretty big deficits.

So, you need to use what troops you have wisely as recruiting is going to be difficult for a while, and at the same time you need to ensure that you keep Constantius II on your side. In fact you start the game as allies, but suspicious ones.

I have found that it is best to attack his cities when they have rebelled against him.

I will be keen to see how you go. Keep us all posted.

OK, I will .