Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Roman Legionaries by HA

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Beat Roman Legionaries by HA

Roman legionaries are the best heavy infantry in RTW. They have the best armours, high morale, and very good stamina. If you just throw HAs to meet the legionaries, all of your HAs would just break formation, run out of arrows, and be pursued to the corners on battle map and finally get slaughtered when they have no where to run.

So, here are the tips against legionaries (and other heavy infantry too):

1. Never engage the enemy when you have fewer units - you would risk running of ammo.
    2. You need the top-quality horse archers, like Sarmatian/Parthian HAs in RTR (which get 50 arrows instead of 30).
    3. Disable cantabrian circle - it's useless in close range (in fact it hurts).
    4. Use tight formation. It increases the casuality, but you need to group as many HAs as possible in one area to maximize the fire power, also it'd be useful when you're forced to charge. Change to loose formation only when the enemy has been seriously weakened and there is enough room on the battle map for maneuver.
    5. Turn on "fire at will", you have to, because your HAs will be shooting while they're moving. Also turn on skimisher mode.
    6. Then it begins: encircle the enemy and keep trying to move them to the center where enemy units stand. The skimisher mode would force them to run away when they get too close, but your command would tell them to do otherwise - so, you'll see your HAs keep running toward the enemy, and then running away, and firing arrows while they're doing so.
    7. Now it's half done, the rest is to keep the encirclement (if you fail, you lose), fill in any gap left by the enemy, and drag away HAs if they hit the enemy unfortunately.
    8. If you've used half of ammo but there are still many enemies, you'd have to launch charge attack. That sounds silly but it does work: select 2 to 4 full-size HAs in the back/right/left flanks of one enemy unit, put to 2 groups, and let the first group charge from different directions. Usually such charge could break enemy moral and cause it rout - if not, you must retreat the the first group immediately, and at the same time, charge by the 2nd group, and then the first group.
    9. If the above method still fails, then you think yourself already lose. Stop fire-at-will, group all HAs, and try to pick up the enemy units one by one if possible, but more often your HAs would rout after an unsucessful charge...

The tactic has been tested in Rome Total Realism (Platinum 1.9). I beat a full stack of post-marian roman legionaries (some are first cohorts) 1:1, and macedonian hypaspists/pikes when outnumbered by 1.5:1, where the HA charge was first used.

Last note: don't try this in forest or places where you cannot see enemy and your units clearly.

________
    LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 05:32 AM.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Beat Roman Legionaries by HA

you can beat pretty much anything with HA's...
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

*Closes book of Basic Knowledge*

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Powers View Post
    Cataphract Archers own horse archers.

I have defeated cataphract archers with horse archers in multiplay.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

they are still horse archers arent they?
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

Correct, most horse archers are horse archers.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Yes, a horse is a horse, of course of course...
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

No they aren't horse archers, those have little armor and fight mostly at distance, Cataphract Archers are heavily armored units ready to fight at a distance and in close combat.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Powers View Post
    I dunno about HAs vanilla RTW, which I never played (I don't like the weird colors ). But if that's true then I think it's seriously unbalanced.....

In RTR arrows are useless from the front, for anyone who has a shield. Worse, its attack points are lower than the armour points of all heavy infantry/cavalry. And some units such as cataphracts just cannot be killed. Medium/Heavy cavalry could kill HAs very quickly, by pursuing them into the edges of the battle map, with minimal loss. Without careful control your HAs would soon run out of ammo and be pursued, separated, unable to group to make any killing, and be forced to engage in melee.

Well, perhaps it's not a good place to post the tactics here, it seems battle in vanilla is completely different
    ________
    MEDICALMARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 05:35 AM.

Double A's Avatar person man

dude, if its medium cal. vs persian calvary, the HAs would own
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

As aqd said, this differs in mods. Not every mod has the same statistics or unit speeds. Still, with carefull control and management, horse archers can be very dangerous.

cataract archers are too slow but are good when the enemy gets close.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Well, a cataphract is still a horse. It just has armour. And as conquestor said, they CAs are slow, but all you need to do tell them to fire but not move them much until the enemy gets closer, then they are pretty awesome.

Miles

I just started playing with Scythian horse archers, and find though their melee attack is weak, they do incite the enemy to chase them - and once an enemy unit is isolated, it can be easily surrounded and charged from all sides with a small general or maiden unit (for the beginning chargers) combined with a whole mass of horse archers. Being engulfed by weak HAs is still deadly. Then set the HAs back on fire mode and draw out another unit. That's one thing I learned fighting against Scythia - never chase them and keep your units together.

It also helps to disable fire-at-will just before your horse archers charge the enemy. I've seen horse archers charge without any melee weapon.

Well, horse archers tend to keep shooting for a volley or two when you turn fire at will off. I only charge with them when I have surrounded and decimated the enemy.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

It also helps if you stop firing at Legionaries from the front. That is such a waste of arrows. Maneuver behind or to the side of those Romans, and then unleash the fury of the Steppes.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

I remember playing a H\H game in Roma Surrectum. I conquered Selucid, Egyptian, Parthian, Pontic, Bosporian, Pergamum, Rebel, and Sarmatian forces using stacks of 20 Armenian horse archers. My most powerful stack, having about 1 gold chevron, could even take out silver shields, and Pergamum heavy infantry, who btw, are very hard to beat with HA. The biggest nusiance though was the Parthians. They seemed to top my highest casualty list, about 100 per battle compared to the normal 0-20.
    Varus? Where are my freaking legions?

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    It also helps if you stop firing at Legionaries from the front. That is such a waste of arrows. Maneuver behind or to the side of those Romans, and then unleash the fury of the Steppes.
    This is the best advice ever. I've been zooming in close to see just where the cohorts are holding their shields and maneuvering around them. When they charge, they hold it to protect their left side. Gladiators, even with their small shields, seem to be indestructible and require a combined charge surrounding them, and it's hard to get them to rout. I fear for when I start seeing urban cohorts coming at me. The Romans - for about 40 years now - are not nearly as frightening as the Egyptians with their masses of chariots and royal archers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast