Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Wedge Formation do (aside from the obvious visuals)?

Default What does Wedge Formation do (aside from the obvious visuals)?

Its kind of a hassle to use, and seems get my cavalry killed off faster than normal, so I haven't bothered to use it much in my campaign games. Does it give some hidden bonuses, or what? Do you more experienced players ever find it worth using?

Default Re: What does Wedge Formation do (aside from the obvious visuals)?

I rarely order my calvary into a Wedge Formation since I think it's useless.

However people have mentioned it's great for breaking up enemy formations and creating a gap in their battle line.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

From my own experiences, Wedge Formation makes your cavalry more fragile. IMO splitting an infantry formation in half has a dubious value.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Wedge formation are faster on the move and breaks a gap into enemy line when first charged, however it takes more times for wedge to turn around and also wedge formation tend to get killed more quickly than normal formation. Wedge formatoin are useful in cities because of the narrow street which somewhat slows down normal tight formations.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Its charge effect seems to be greater, and once the enemy formation breaks they're easy to rout. But usually it costs a few horses, even before the enemy attack.
    ________
    Kelie
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 05:32 AM.

Wasn't there a thread about this only a few weeks ago?
    Asking for rep is a sure fire way to not receive any, at least from this old cynic.

The wedge is to easy to flank, when ever the ai uses it I just wait until they are quite close to my cavalry and then swing around and hit them from the flank.
    If the enemy doesn't have cavalry I would use it to break his infantry.
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

I only use when it I have heavy infantry close by the formation break the enemy's line then i finish them with the infantry.
    Last edited by Leonidas The Lion; January 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Double A's Avatar person man

I use it when defending. When my battle line and the enemies' engage, I order my calvary into wedge and to go behind them, and charge. Of coarse, I order them to go behind my line afterwards, out of wedge, and to recharge the enemies. It works without too many casuitales.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

I think it increases their charge but reduces manuverability.

It split's the enemy unit if you use good enough cavalry. This can be useful if you have other units standing by, because half a unit if much easier to engage than a whole. You just better hope that cavalry has good defence.
    Asking for rep is a sure fire way to not receive any, at least from this old cynic.

lol, so its still useless for Light Cavalry eh?

BNS's Avatar ...

lol, so its still useless for Light Cavalry eh?
    Yes for the most part unless you are ramming through light infantry.

Anyways I find a wedge formation charge effective when followed by an infantry charge to deal with the broken enemy formation.

Wedge formation is good if you wanted to break through the enemy line.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

"U CAN NEVER PREDICT THE UNEXPECTED"

I find the wedge most useful more maneuvrability, for pursuit, and for charging archers/missile units.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Well, they take a while for the cavalry to form into, which makes them vulnerable while forming. Turning takes quite a lot of time too. Wedges can punch through light missile troops and archers with ease, and it usually breaks the missile troops up and routs them, but against infantry, the best thing for a cavalry unit to do is to try outflank them.

Cavalry was used as a shock charge more of a fast moving open plain unit used to discourage enemy infantry once in a fight and momentum slowed cavalry was fairly useless. Think about it your a soldier and a bunch of men on very angry warhorses coming at you, you would probably be thinking of turning tail without even a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Assyrian View Post
    Cavalry was used as a shock charge more of a fast moving open plain unit used to discourage enemy infantry once in a fight and momentum slowed cavalry was fairly useless. Think about it your a soldier and a bunch of men on very angry warhorses coming at you, you would probably be thinking of turning tail without even a fight.
    Or thinking "i'll just stick my gladius somewhere..around..HERE"

Decanus

if you use wedge from the front and a block of cavalry from one of the sides it will rout them kinda fast, but not anyfaster than from front and back so its not really worth the hassle of hard to turn horseeeeeeees

don't use your generals bodyguard for it, your general is always in the front, and he gets slaughtered... atleast that happens for me. It's good for charging into a thin line, like 3 soldiers deep... or if you attack from their backs, it divides them, and they seem to rout faster... only my experiences though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast