Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else felt like watching kingdom of heaven after playing stainless steel and crusades campaign??

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Anyone else felt like watching kingdom of heaven after playing stainless steel and crusades campaign??

I suggest you get Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev (in Russian, of course) and let me know what you think of his recreation of the Tartar sacking of Vladamir in 1408...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Rublev_%28film%29

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Anyone else felt like watching kingdom of heaven after playing stainless steel and crusades campaign??

Huh, as I said before, I've seen very few of old Soviet stuff, and never was Konchalovsky nor Tarkovsky fan, but Rublev's icons are one of the best... =) I may watch it, if I'll stumble upon it. =\ In 60's they were never allowed to shot much, but it may be worth watching.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

King Arthur's story is a load of crap, but it has some great elements. I strongly disliked arthur himself since he promised to protect his knights with his life while he never even tried it when several of them died.

Those knights (exept for the fat one) made the movie worth watching though, them and the saxons.

The dramatic endbattle was great, good music, a dark setting and main characters died in battle. A shame that the wedding at the end ruins it a bit.

As for Kingdom of Heaven, its not much of a recruitment thing. I didnt like how the templars where portrayed as exclusively evil and the other groups present in the holy land all having good intentions.

I personly liked the last samurai, for any actor its best not to look at their personal life, but what they do on screen. Ken watabe was the best actor in this movie though.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Almost every historical movie makes me feel like playing Rome or Stainless Steel, and vice versa for wanting to watch after playing.

Except Kingdom of Heaven. The movie was horrible, and Bloom is the worlds second biggest pussy.

masterbaker's Avatar Decanus

I thought KoH was alrite. I guess its main flaw was its lead actor, so quite a lot of people dislike it.

He did alright for his first leading role. He could have been easily replaced but I didnt see anything wrong in his performance.

Well....It was the high-pitched soprano voice, the smooth, un-marred, un-blacksmith, un-warrior skin, the spindly body (I remember even Ridley Scott complained that if he was going to use Bloom again he'd want him to beef up more). If Bloom slapped me to knight me, I'd rip his gauntlet off him and stuff it up his arse.
    The movie itself was okay, but Scott relies too much on his trademark monochrome, shaky film style, and for a crusade epic it needed the rating to be higher to allow for more barbarism. The battles were indistinct and lacked any personal involvement, with perhaps the exception of the first in the forest. On a good note the chap who played Saladin was magnificent, as were several of the supporting cast.

I gues you have a few points there yes.

In later periods he would have been realistic as a blacksmith as in pirates of the caribean, but in the medieval times they would need to look tougher.

Still, he hold up quite well despite this, he lacked the charisma required for a leader figure though, this could have given the movie something more.

I agree, he needed that 'leader' touch that Gladiator had( I forgot his name) lol

Russell Crowe, but he seems to spend all his time in pub fights anyway so I guess he's tough in real life. Orlando isn't really a hardman's name is it.

Indefinitely Banned

Guys, don't you see that Orlando was maked a blacksmith in KoH just for the fun of comparing his two characters! =) He really looks not like a knight, but, as Inhuman One said, and I said in this topic before, worst thing is Templars = Evil; Saladin = Good, and even a happy end for Saladin - they would better shot the movie about the First Crusade, that was actually a victory.

As to Cruise - I hate ALL his performances - every time I see him on screen, he plays BAD, ESPECIALLY his facial expression in the Last Samurai! And I hated the movie about how Americans raped and destroyed the Japanese culture, ONLY to make a meatshield for Russians out of them, as was proved by the Russo-Japanese war, that weakened both nation, keeping the USA away from trouble.

--ignorethisbit-
    Last edited by masterbaker; February 19, 2008 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echad View Post
    As to Cruise - I hate ALL his performances
    Crowe not cruise

Man, the Crowe knocked a guy out with a pay phone!
    That is hard. Hard.
    If he were in the promised land, he'd skin everyone like sheep and play his guitar, then have an affair with Dennis Quaid's wife.
    Crowe tha man!

Indefinitely Banned

I was about Cruise... Mission Impossible guy, the Last Samurai.

Yeh but it was a bit random just starting to talk about Tom Cruise, I assumed you made a mistake reading my post.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I personly liked the last samurai, for any actor its best not to look at their personal life, but what they do on screen. Ken watabe was the best actor in this movie though.
    It was not random, we had a discussion before the Gladiator jumped in. =)

well cruise cant add something special to his role either. he just does his job and thats it. Just try to ignore his private life when looking at his performance. Its alright but he can be replaced.

With a good performance it would be difficult to imagine anyone else in the same role, when you think of the movie you see scenes with this person would be amongst the highlights, because of their contribution to it.

With the last samurai its usually the scenes about samurai customs and japanese culture that are interesting, and the drama when they are defeated in battle by technology, how there is no place anymore for real warriors.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Echad View Post
    It was not random, we had a discussion before the Gladiator jumped in. =)
    In Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, all four samurai who died in the film were killed by arquebusiers; it was very metaphoric...

Goffredo's Avatar Civis

Orlando isn't the worst thing KOH has...she's a good chick,i appreciated her performance in LOTR where she was ARWEN...in fact Orlando and Viggo are a good couple

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast