Thread: One newbie tackles the world

Default One newbie tackles the world

Hello everyone, I hope this is in the right place as this is my AAR for my SPQR modded Imperial Campaign. Using the Romans.
    Now I am a newbie to the RTM series and got this game for Christmas, but as soon as I saw some of these mods on this forum I just had to download one - SPQR worked very well.

I was immediately shocked by how difficult the initial starting is for this campaign. I am surrounded by hostile Greeks and Gauls, not to mention Hannibal and his armies of infidel on Roman soil herself!

My first port of call was challenging Hannibal and his armies to face the wrath of two of my legions commanded by Quintus Julius and Flavius Julius, I had to team up on Hannibal's force but he was very soundly beaten by Quintus before Flavius arrived just where the Cartheginians were routing to! Great success! Unfortunately I hand't thought of creating an AAR at this point and so no screen shots, although hannibal did escape...for now.

I then lost 2 cities to the north to the Gallic invaders before Vibius Julius annihilated the Gauls who were settling in Arimnium. This was my second heroic victory of my campaign so far!

Stab 'em lads!

My equites played an invaluable role in continuously flanking and counter charging the barbarian horde.

Later that turn Hannibal and the pityful ammount of Carthaginians left under his command attacked Quintus' army. Even god kings bleed.

Now that Hannibal was well and truely strung across the battlefield his second in command decided to engage my force, he had a larger and better trained army but I was confident. I had chosen a nice ambush position.

Those princepes and hastii that are hidden on the top right of the screen allowed be to route the army well and truely.

Not quite as impressive as my first clash with Carthage but a heroic victory none the less!

This is how my empire looks at the moment, I'm just trying to raise money so that I can bring more legions into the fray.

I hope some of you will enjoy seeing my attempt to survive and take the fight to the enemy in the following weeks!

Default Re: One newbie tackles the world

Looks like a good AAR. What diffuclty settings are you playing on?
    She was no ordinary girl, Oh Inverted World

Don't worry about the world ending today, it's already tommorow in australia

rep me, I rep you.

I'm playing medium/medium at the moment

I've played a bit last night, secured the Italian peninsula from the Carthage invaders. I am now trying to gather the funds to send three legions into Sicily to really solidify my economy, although I'm only raking in 6-7k per turn = no campaign just yet. Whilst doing that a full army of Gallic warriors assaulted my very weakly defended city of Arretium. Defended bu 4 units of Town Watch, 5 units of Hastii, one unit of Velites and some slingers. Needless to say this was the best defence I have ever done without a wall and phalanx formations. Two units of town guard and the velites managed to get to the rear of the exhausted Gallic warriors and mecilessly cut down the routing troops, eventually helping cause a mass route of the Gauls in which the Velites killed 930 warriors. Here is the picture

Last edited by Praetorian_Mossop; January 04, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Looking good.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

What? Your a noob?

Quote Originally Posted by ManOnFire View Post
    What? Your a noob?
    ?
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Not you, him, pulling off all these heroic victories. Pretty good for first campaign