Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: KGCM + HHB Frequently Asked Questions

Icon5 KGCM + HHB Frequently Asked Questions

Steam users
    To those who want to use this mod with STEAM

Since Stylix asked me to help to show how I got this to work with steam quite well besides a few minor errors (such as ireland referring themselves as scotland) here is how I went

First of all I have Windows Vista 64 bit edition...So I am not sure of the locations for windows 7 or XP (Though I am sure they are close to the same)

Also I do NOT have HHB installed at present just KGCM 4.2! (I will eventually install HHB for my next play through so if need be I can write instructions)

Also I have no other mods at present installed. Though when I tried first I had "The Third Age Total War" mod installed...(I dont anymore after having to reinstall the whole game...though I dont think Third Age would matter if i did still have it installed...though I could be wrong)

Step One: I download the 3.0 installer and when its finish I run it like normal

Step Two: Install the 4.2 patch to your MAIN Medieval 2 total war Folder(MyComputer/C/Program Files x86/Steam/Steamapps/common/medieval ii total war)...not the kingdoms grand campaign MOD folder! (DONT install the patch to the desktop unless your sure you can install the patch the correct way to the main Medieval II total war folder...I tried and failed horribly and had to reinstall the whole game)

Step Three: Then install the menu crash fix...

Step Four: The KGCM should be right under the Teutonic Campaign if done correctly(if you dont have any other mods installed at least)

NOTE: The first time I tried to install it I accidentally installed the 4.2 patch to kingdoms grand campaign folder...I managed to get it to work but I was missing icons...so I uninstalled...Also when I installed the 4.2 patch onto my desktop and then tried to manually apply the patch...the game worked...but I was missing a lot of sound files but I had the right icons...the way I got it to work perfectly was a reinstall of Medieval 2 Total war and kingdoms...(you might have to do the same thing)

If you get graphics glitches...missing sound files(such as you click on a town but dont hear the noise that you usually hear when you click on a town / castle) missing icons (such as Ireland not having their icon) or other weird things...then you most likely have not installed right and will have to re-do the install of KGCM...and possibly the whole game if you cannot get it to work right...

I have been playing this mod on steam for a few days now and the only minor errors I get are
    -Ireland referring themselves as Scotland...Wales as England
    -Ship battles tend to lag 5-10 seconds before and after
    -Turns take a few mins 1-3 sometimes

Other then those few errors the mod runs smooth...I have not had any sort of CTD in game...in battle or on the campaign map...the only time I have ever had a CTD is when I clicked on the factions over 30 times to read them all...

Anyways good luck hope this works for all steam users on Windows Vista because it certainly works for me quite well this way! All thanks to Vice for this.

Here is another very helpful guide below on how to get mods working on Steam.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410461

KGCM Frequently Asked Questions

What do I require to play Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod?

You must have both Medieval II Total War and Kingdoms installed before you can play this mod. You do not need to have the game unpacked.

This mod includes a lot of Kingdoms content, is this mod even legal?

Yes, I got permission from CA to release this mod months before it was finished. Also my mod uses the Kingdoms exe. and cannot work without the Kingdoms expansion installed.

Will this mod affect vanilla M2TW/Kingdoms?

No, the mod is fully mod foldered and as such will not touch the vanilla files.

Will you add more factions from Kingdoms?

When I asked for permission to make this mod I outlined what I was going to do. I have now added 8 factions from Kingdoms and made 2 more playable. This is all I want to add to the campaign. There are now 28 factions that can be playable, that is more than enough.

Can we expect anymore future versions of your mod?

No more full versions, I have now also released my final patch KGCM 4.3.

Why wont the mod start up?

Probably because you have installed it incorrectly- make sure you read all the install instructions before asking, as chances are your questions will be answered here. Also if you have a download version of the game the mod won't start up. It must be a boxed version of M2TW and Kingdoms.

Why does the mod crash when selecting factions for the Grand Campaign?

This is not a bug, it is a result of adding so many factions into one campaign. It is possible to get rid of this however by deleting all of the map_faction.tga's in the mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder. You will then be without any maps showing the starting positions for each faction.

Why does it take so long to change turns in the campaign?

My mod uses the epic map mod Bigmap, with such a size map and lots more regions the AI takes longer to make its moves. You will notice later in the campaign when factions are destroyed the end turns speed up for you. Also I was very careful about what scripts I use. The garrison script for example is only small and for each factions capital only.

What is the problem with campaign map lag?

Not everybody expereinces this lag, it seems worse for some than others. I have already moddified my map to try and improve this. But the only other advise I can offer is to keep the campaign map shadows off, and lower campaign map graphics. This may or may not help since everybody has different PC builds.

The income from settlements is a lot smaller than in vanilla and I'm finding it too hard

Each faction in my mod does not start off equal like in vanilla. Some factions are small and it is hard for them to build lots of big armies at the start. You need to expand early on and take rich settlements from your neighbours. For example Venice do not start off with much income, but if you take Bologna early from HRE you can build on that. Large factions like HRE and the Byzantines might start off in a much better position but they are spread out and are hated more by their neighbours. Believe me these campaigns are not easy, I have balanced this well I think.

Why do troops "magically" appear in cities I lay seige to?

This is the garrison script, designed to prevent players rushing the AI early on. To disable the garrison script, download the file at the bottom of this post- LINK- and follow the instructions; it will replace the old one.
    If you decide you want to revert back to the full garrison script from the original v4.2, it has been attached at the bottom of this post. (campaign_script.txt)

What AI does Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod use?

My mod still uses Lusted's Campaign and Battle AI. However I have made many new improvements myself and use XCAI for the mongols.

Why has the AI still not attacked me? I thought you said this AI was more aggressive?

The AI is more aggressive, apparently though it will not besiege a settlement with a full garrison. Also if your AI enemy is at war elsewhere it may not attack as strongly. Playing Antioch for instance at the start the Turks are at war on two fronts. This is the best AI I have played to date and goes perfectly with my mod. Also I recommend playing on VH/VH, the AI has been made more aggressive on this setting.

How much hard drive space will I need for this mod?

You will need about 3GB of HD space to install KGCM 3.0 and patch 4.2.

Why is there a display problem on my screen with very large settlement names?

This is entirely because you have not installed KGCM patch 4.2 to the correct folder. IT SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED TO MODS FOLDER. Please re-read the instructions in the patch download thread. It clearly says install to the Medieval II Total War folder.

Missing faction symbols for Vista users?

The patch does not install properly on Vista. What you need to do is install the patch onto your desktop and then manually copy the files to the KGCM mod folder. Example SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data. The new faction symbols should now display correctly.

What do you mean by "UAC", and how do I disable it?

Follow this guide here- is long, but useful!

How do I get this mod to work for a steam version of Kingdoms?

(See "To those who want to use this mod with STEAM" at the top of this post first.)

A forum member has posted a fix for this at another thread, in post 144. It is to long to post it all in here so here is the link below. Follow his instructions and good luck. As I don't play with a steam version of Kingdoms I am unable to help any further.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...72#post2510072

How do I change it back so archers and siege weapons have secondary fire?

This is easy to change, all you need to do is unpack the Crusades campaign, and you don't need to even edit anything.
    (Note when you unpack the main game or any of the Kingdoms campaigns you must delete 2 files in the data folder you unpacked, or the game will crash when you load a battle.)
    Delete the descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt.
    Go to SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\crusades\data folder and copy the descr_projectile.txt.
    Now go to SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data and paste it into my mods data folder.
    You now have secondary fire for archers and fiery projectiles back for catapults and trebuchets.

The descr_projectile.txt file unpacked from the Crusades packs folder has been attached at the bottom of this post.

How can I make multiple copies of KGCM?

Check out this link for the answer

I am getting a CTD every time at the battle screen what is wrong?

This is a very common problem when people unpack M2TW or Kingdoms and dont then delete the 2 geography files from inside the unpacked data folder. Also moddifying the mod files yourself is not recommended as it could cause CTD's. A clean reinstall of KGCM is always a good idea to resolve crashes as well.

Why, when I try to fight a battle, the whole bottom of the screen which should show the battlefield map, military units, etc. is white?

IF IN BATTLE YOU GET THE WHITE UI THEN DELETE ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\ui\battle.sd

Why do units lose movement range when any general (with no movement traits) joins them?

Edit: This issue has been resoved. Please see this post:
    Hotfix released to resolve movement error

Movement anomaly example:
    Here we have a bunch of infantry units heading to siege Metz on their own. In the next turn they will reach the walls at least. Near south there are 3 generals deciding who will lead the attack

The first general joined the army, only to find his presence slows down the task: they don't even reach the outskirts!

Then he moves northwards and lets the next general to try. The result is exact the same.

Finally they decide to leave the third general to lead the attack. At least he has Drillmaster trait so he will be able to push his troops further...

Only to find he is slower than the infantry alone themselves!!

Thanks to [Celtíbero]Mencey for noticing this and for providing the example with the images.

Can I use some of your mod content in my own modification?

Yes, feel free to use what you like, a good modding community is one that shares its work. All I would ask is that you give me credit for my work.

If you have anymore questions that you would like answered feel free to ask them here guys.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Stylix; August 31, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Default Re: FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

HHB FAQ SUPPORT

What is Heroes Hordes and beyond (HHB)?

This is a submod that continues the work where I left off. It makes many improvements to KGCM including a complete reworking of XCAI, Flanders and Apaches added, new faction symbols and menu, new unit skins. Also it introduces many new features to KGCM like historical heroes, re emerging factions, and an invasion script for the AI in the new world.

How do I install HHB correctly and what are the instructions?

First of all you must have KGCM 3.0 and KGCM patch 4.2 installed. The HHB download comes in 2 parts and both must be installed before you can attempt to run the mod. Very important there is also a bug fix attached at the bottom of this post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...88#post6564988.

Why won't HHB mod start up?

First of all did KGCM 3.0 and 4.2 work normally before you installed HHB? If the answer is yes then most likey you have installed HHB wrong and need to install it again. Otherwise there could be a possibility that it did not download correctly. Delete the 2 parts of HHB and download them again with anti virus software turned off. Also if you own a digital version of M2TW i.e you downloaded it from steam, then the mod will not run.

How do I know that I have installed HHB correctly? Does it say somewhere in the menu the version?

The first thing you should notice is Y2day's new loading screens and loading bar. Second as soon as the Grand Campaign loads up you will see the new cities and castles strat map art. Here is an example http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296090

How do re emerging factions work in HHB?

In the event that the last settlement of an AI faction is defeated, a new king will spawn, as long as at least one royal family member survives, with a horde army and that defeated faction will rise up to fight the invaders! You dont need to kill every unit to prevent the faction from spawning, you need only kill all members of the royal family; no royals left to raise a nation, no faction.

What about historical heroes? when do they first appear?

Every faction has a hero which will spawn after a certain event is triggered in the campaign.

How can I make 2 copies of KGCM so I can play both KGCM 4.2 and HHB at the same time?

This question has been answered in the following thread link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...01#post5821101 I do not need to post all of these instructions here.

How can I play as Antioch in HHB?

Well you can make them playable easily by editing the descr_strat.txt. Look in the mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder. Open the file up with notepad and at the top delete a faction entry for example portugal under campaign playable, and add it to the list in end nonplayable instead. Now remove Antioch from end nonplayable and put them in under campaign playable, done! Save and exit.

How can I fix the grayed out Apachean faction symbol and the missing Flanders faction symbol in the diplomacy window when I am playing a campaign as the Byzantines?

The solution is very easy to fix yourself. All you have to do is go to this folder on your hard drive; C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\ui\eastern_european\interface (this is the default location, yours may be different) and copy all 4 of the tuetonic files (eg shared tuetonic and strat tuetonic both versions of each) into the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\ui\greek\interface folder, overwriting the files in the folder and presto your done.

Is there a 'no garrison' script for HHB?

Yes, just click on this link to a post with the attached file:
    Link to HHB no garrison script

There is also a 'reduced garrison script' if you like the idea of having a garrison script, but feel the default script is too extreme for your playing style or level of experience.
    Link to Reduced Garrison Script

End note: local moderators in this forum may edit and update this FAQ list whenever they see fit. You don't need to ask me in advance.

Dave
    Last edited by Stylix; July 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Changed description of re-emerging factions

Question, families not correct as per time frame of beginning 1180 anno domini, any plans of changing them to correct (or reasonable fascimile thereof?)

Yes, over the last few days I have been working on new family trees for every faction in the campaign. I added more family members and a few more children so each faction starts off better.

Dave

Thank you for reply sir.

Can you play multiplayer hotseat campaign?

thanks a lot.

Can you play multiplayer hotseat campaign?
    You can play a hotseat campaign yes, but be aware that this is no multiplayer campaign!

Which means 2 or more players can play in the same campaign but you cannot fight battles against each other. The attacker gets to fight the battle whilst the AI will take control of the defending human players army.

Dave

Thanks for the help but another problem has arisen. We cant play a loaded game. it just stops working. please help.

It is possible that this may be due to the reported bug in the last update. Sorry about this, but there is something you can try. Try loading your hotseat campaign again. Now save it under a different save name. Exit and return to the main menu. Load the game again under the new name, and see if that works. If this solution does not work for you then I am afraid you will have to wait for the release of the new patch update (which should be out soon). But you will not be able to play saved games with this update sadly.

Dave

Tha worked thanks a lot for all of your help.

Bernardo II's Avatar Foederatus

@ norsca, or anyone who can help. Thanks Norsca for the information but I'm having a problem. I downloaded the mod, and then the patch. Installed them correctly, atleast to my knowledge. I did everything you said for Steam users and when I double clicked kingdoms in steam, it started up. It brought up the norma loading menu but then the screen goes black, brings me back to the desktop and a blank box comes up with a yellow triangle and an exclamation point inside. There are no words. Any help?

My cities and castles dont seem to be upgrading even though i have built everything and the population has risen to over what is required on vanilla. Is there any other require,emts to upgrade cities/castles on your mod? or do they nont upgrade at all?

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

this mod have higher required than vanila all you need to do is wait or lower tax to shorter time
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post

Q. How do I change it back so archers and siege weapons have secondary fire?
    A. This is easy to change, all you need to do is unpack the Crusades campaign, and you don't need to even edit anythink. Note when you unpack the main game or any of the Kingdoms campaigns you must delete 2 files in the data folder you unpacked, or the game will crash when you load a battle. Delete the descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt. Go to SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\crusades\data folder and copy the descr_projectile.txt. Now go to SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data. And paste it into my mods data folder. You now have secondary fire for archers and fiery projectiles back for catapults and trebuchets.

Hi!I have some qestions

1)I wont use the secondary fire for some units but i don't find the
    "descr_projectile.txt " in this folder "C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\crusades".Where is it?
    I only find it( descr_projectile.txt) in this folder " C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\retrofit".Is this the same file?

2) What Lusted's AI version do you use for this mod?

-Traiano-'s Avatar Miles

you have to UNPACK the crusades campaign, if you don't do that you won't find anything.
    I think also it would be better to install KGC mod on a fresh copy of MTWII/Kingdoms and not on a Retrofit mod copy.

The Lusted's AI is the last done, around here you'll find also Xerix AI files to add on lusted's AI to improve the game.
    30BC: Ottaviano Augusto becomes the first Imperator, in his 44 years of principate he will bring to the empire peace and prosperity!
    70AD: Vespasiano is the winner of first great empire's civil war,rebuilding Roman world after the Nero's dark ages.
    98AD: Traiano becomes imperator after that the senateman Nerva adopted him,he will start a gold age for the empire getting it to biggest extension!! 117AD-180AD Adriano,Antonino Pio and Marco Aurelio administrate the empire during his richest and most pacific period, with their good administration Rome lives its golden age.
    193AD: Settimio Severo wins the civil war started after the death of Commodo starting the Severan dinasty, his heirs will not be as good as him. 252-285AD Rome lives the peak of III century's crisis,onli the emperor Aureliano will be able to reunite the empire breacked in 3 parts and the great reformer Diocleziano will give to Rome militar,politic and social cohesion after decades of caos. 325AD:Costantino rules alone over the empire and christianity is for the first time accepted by the imperial government.

Quote Originally Posted by -Traiano- View Post
    you have to UNPACK the crusades campaign, if you don't do that you won't find anything.
    I think also it would be better to install KGC mod on a fresh copy of MTWII/Kingdoms and not on a Retrofit mod copy.

The Lusted's AI is the last done, around here you'll find also Xerix AI files to add on lusted's AI to improve the game.
    Thx traiano!

How can I impruve the Lusted AI whit XAI?Where can i copy the XAI files?

And...i try to use the vanilla skin but the game don't start when i copy unit_models folder from Medieval II to Kingdoms Grad Campaign Mod.

Thx again for the help!!

Hi /Stranger/

See post 9 in the link below to the Battle AI discussion thread. I have attached the very latest version of XAI for you. Simply copy all of these files into my mods data folder and they will replace the old files.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...54#post2769754

And...i try to use the vanilla skin but the game don't start when i copy unit_models folder from Medieval II to Kingdoms Grad Campaign Mod.
    You better uninstall the mod now completely and reinstall it as it sounds like you may have deleted some files by mistake. Remember do not delete the unit_folder in kingdoms grand campaign mod, just copy over it. And the files the game needs for new Kingdoms units and new factions will still be there. I do not recommend for people with no experience of modding to try this.

dave

I got a question about retinues. it seems that there are a lot of new retinues in this mod, which is great. most of them are even transferable like Rome ttw. There is one retinue that i think is very important but is not transferable. im playing the french and the crown of the french king is not transferable. after my first king philip dies, the crown is gone forever. how can i pass the crown on?

Quote Originally Posted by wngpooniii View Post
    I got a question about retinues. it seems that there are a lot of new retinues in this mod, which is great. most of them are even transferable like Rome ttw. There is one retinue that i think is very important but is not transferable. im playing the french and the crown of the french king is not transferable. after my first king philip dies, the crown is gone forever. how can i pass the crown on?
    I think you need to move you're faction into the capital. I know that there was a question like this before so let me dig it up .

Kins

oh thanks that would be great. it makes the game so much more interested to me to have these titles and crowns that you can pass on.

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast