Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC Research: Legionaire at Ayasofya @ Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) Museum

Default BC Research: Legionaire at Ayasofya @ Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) Museum

Dear friends,

I was in Istanbul for three days (again ) as a BC fan and history freak had to do something. Besides all armor and weapons great civilizations forge by the arts and beauty and Istanbul probably one of the finest example of this subject.

I hope you enjoy my tour. Especially my Hellen, Armenian friends and true hearted Roman Citizen Vedran'll like them. Dear Keravnos, Vartan, Vedran, Tadz, all friends and BC team. Accept my tourage as new year gift from Legionaire.

First of all please accept my apoligies about some blurred pictures. There was lack of light and me and my Sony cam (7.2 Carl Zeiss) done their best.

With all beauty and her Glory i represent you Hagia Sophia @ Ayasofya Museum.

Virtual tour for Ayasofya:
    http://www.360tr.com/ayasofya/

A small obelisk Main entrance Inner hall

Sarcophagus of Empress

Emperors entrance

Mosaic panel shows Emperor Justinian and Constantine, Virgin Mary and baby Jesus

Shots from first floor

One of the most interesting piece at Ayasofya. A hugu single block of marble...

Baptism Altar

Here we go to the second floor...

Printed samples of mosaics.

Me and Jesus

and behold! True might of Roman engineering! Huge dome of Ayasofya

Lodge of Empress

Beatiful ceiling decorations

Marble door of Synod Council

Varangian Heritage still alive

Grave of Enrico Dandolo Doge of Venice

Jesus Pantokrator, Empress Zoe and Emperor Constantine IX Manomakhos

Hope you enjoy fellas. Stay in tune. I'll upload Topkapı Palace shots ASAP. Tons of art pieces and arms & armor
    Last edited by Little Legionaire; January 03, 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: BC Research: Legionaire at Ayasofya @ Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) Museum

VERY great pict's great legionaire

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: BC Research: Legionaire at Ayasofya @ Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) Museum

Fantastic stuff Little Legionaire. Thanks a lot for letting us have a first hand glimpse into such beautiful architecture and designs.
    +REP as usual

EDIT: Why is Enrico Dandalo's name there?

@Basileos

You mistakenly reported LL's post...
    Last edited by Miraj; January 03, 2008 at 05:10 AM.

Thank you fellas.

Mirage there was a small story about Dandolo and his death at Wiki... According to Wiki it's not the real tomb of him.

He was active enough to take part in an expedition against the Bulgarians, but died in 1205. He was buried in Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, probably in the upper Eastern gallery. In the nineteenth century an Italian restoration team placed a marker near the probable location, which is still visible today. The marker is frequently mistaken by tourists as being a medieval marker of the actual tomb of the doge. The real tomb was destroyed by the Turks after the conquest of Constantinople in 1453 and subsequent conversion of Hagia Sophia into a mosque.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Dandolo

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    @Basileos

You mistakenly reported LL's post...
    yesss i know

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

If I ever visit Istambul, I will be sure to go there.
    Thank you Little Legionaire.
    + rep
    Last edited by Keravnos; January 03, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Wow, now that's real culture. Though I always wonder why they don't remove the huge ugly green circles, they seem so out of place. Arabic writing can be beautiful like in the top of the dome, but putting it on huge plates looks so cheap among all the mosaics and decorations. They look like huge directions to the toilet.
    Proud Citizen of Romania.

Indefinitely Banned

Well, the attempts to turn it into a mosque after Constantinople's conquest is also part of history (500 years worth), regardless of how one views it. Those circles with the arabic calligraphy are not something the secular Turkish gov't put up, I believe.

Anyways, I'm proud to say I've been in those mighty halls before.
    Last edited by Miraj; January 03, 2008 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orretje View Post
    They look like huge directions to the toilet.
    It was a bit rude simile Orretje. some respect please.

Indefinitely Banned

From the little Arabic I know, I can see those circles say "Ali", "Muhammad" and "Allah". So yes.. some politeness is in order I think.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

wow fantastic pictures. Tesekurler!

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

great pictures. one day ill go there

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Rodrico Stak's Avatar Miles

Those are wonderful pictures. I've always wanted to go to Istanbul, and now I really, really want to. I almost envy my cousin who is in the airforce and is stationed in Turkey...

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

One day...one day...

Sig made by XKillerX

"From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
    The crownless again shall be king.
    "

teh.frickin.pope's Avatar Senator

Thanks a lot LL, wish we had that sort of historic building in the US.

Broken Crescent, Its Frickin Awesome! Sig by Atterdag +rep
    Stop Uwe Boll!

One day...I will see that...one day...

Thanks for sharing.

Thx for all good compliments fellas.

Today i've completed to classification of Topkapı Palace Museum pictures. Over 150 shots. Arms, Armor, Weapons, Helmets, Bows another interesting stuff shall be ready for your taste.

Tomorrow i'll upload them and make another topic. Stay in tune.

By the way, Orretje i'm believin that you had no bad intention. It was just a wrong simile. I've no bad feeling about you then please do not feel yourself offended. I hope you wellcome again to my topic.

do you also have photos of byzantine armour,helmets,uniforms,....?because that is something i would like to see too.Anyway can't wait to see the other pict's

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"

Legionnaire, I had no bad intention indeed. It just seemed to me the green circles are rather plain (like a roadsign or something) compared to how stylishly decorated the rest of the building is, including the calliography added in the dome. I only dislike the circles for how they look and mostly for how disproportionally big they are, not their underlying history or meaning. Though it is in some way a shame when such beautiful buildings go lost to the people that built it.

PS that varangian inscription is really awesome, it must give you a really excited feeling when you see that so unexpectedly.
    Last edited by Orretje; January 03, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Proud Citizen of Romania.

@ Orrretje,

I know you mean good by what you say, but the exact opposite reaction can occur as well. I have quoted another response of mine that suits the situation, a bit.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have NO problems about people daydreaming about ERE. It does keep an M2TW campaign going when you have to face plate armored knights with "byzantine spearmen"

What I DO have problems with is people who present themselves as saviours, Last emperors of a supposed ERE noble family or people who supposedly live in Istambul and say it would be better if ERE still survived, etc.

In a philosophical discussion we could discuss these things ad infinitum. What was good or bad or for whom.

However, Right now, it is important to accept the fact that History is history and bygones are bygones. ERE's time has come and passed. It is NO LONGER around, TURKEY IS, and discussions that have any other implications are just not relevant.

If I were a Turk and saw one of the dearest cities of my country being called constantly by another name, a foreign name or people wanting to restore a DEAD empire to existence, how would I be supposed to feel? Understanding? Up to a point maybe, but NO more.

In that sense I completely sympathize with them when they say "Istambul not Constantinople", as the song goes.

I must ask you therefore, to treat BC as a game, to be enjoyed to the fullest. It is a fantasy given form NOT REALITY. An Indian may play the Rajput faction and conquer the world in the name of his gods, A Turk may conquer all asia and restore the mighty seljuk empire, An Italian would conquer all of the MidEast with the Outremer state.

Yet, if we all entrench ourselves in our culture and religion, a big part of the fun will be lost. I am an Orthodox Christian and one of the first factions I will play is Muslim Oman or Muslim Sindh. Why? Because they are COOL FACTIONS, because it is a GAME, because I LOVE DEM UNITS.

Maybe, just maybe I will get out of that campaign a more learned person, one who truly appreciates some part of the world, I never knew existed. Appreciate some of the uniqueness of those places. And that is something priceless. An interactive way to learn history by slaying thousands of computer generated individuals.

Funny jokes and smilies aside, THIS is exactly the mentality you should have if you are to enjoy this faction, or any other.

Col. Roy Mustang asked me (jokingly, I got that don't worry! )

Quote:

FINE THEN WHATS YOUR EMPIRE THAT IS GOING TO BE REVIVED EH???

the long lost "Bactrian Empire"???

and my answer would be...

NONE. Empires are beasty things that devour people and resources like a wildfire, belch you up wounded, and then proceed to splinter up and die at a moments' notice after a civil war that "nobody wanted".

I love Baktria, as it is a very dear time in history for me. I also love ERE for the same reason. They are both dead'n'gone. They had their glories and their tragedies. I tried to help teams I respected portray them as well as they could be and I am PROUD of both EB and BC for that matter.

I really don't want to bring them back. Nobody should. Time flows forward. All we are doing is portraying a very pretty image of the past. Wonderlust is completely understandable for that matter. Loving a faction, too.

Bringing present day nationalistic agendas on a PC game is just ugly.

If you see at the posts, ERE is doing OK. People love it. And why shouldn't they? ERE story is a story of glory, of struggling against insurmountable odds, outliving old enemies and losing it all because of betrayal. What's not to love?

Think of it, those who feel saddened by ERE's destruction as dear persons to you who are dead. Think of the life they had, the things they did, and how they brought joy and light to other people. Remember them well, with a smile. This is how they would want you to remember them, if they are worth it.

In the end, it is all about perception.

Whoever wants ERE back and Turkey vanishing in the air reminds me of a poor old widow who is hugging and kissing a grave cursing the winds, the people, the gods above and below for her fate, not wanting to face reality, hurting herself and her living relatives in the process. If she can't control it, the pain will eat up her soul.

Whoever accepts ERE's fate as that of a person who lived, flourished and died, is a good friend who remembers the good things, the bad, ups and downs, puts it all in perspective, will stop on the grave, say a prayer for the soul of the deceased, and carry on his road with a smile on his face. For he has accepted reality, and bears no grudges, neither on fate, nor on people.

I sincerely hope all those who will be playing BC's ERE are more like the latter. If you aren't, please don't bother playing this mod. You will just be saddened when it's all over and you have conquered the world and still Real world exists as you left it.

Thank you for reading this far. It was a really long piece but I had to say some things, and say them now.

and say them again.

Though it is in some way a shame when such beautiful buildings go lost to the people that built it.
    One of the landmarks of Ioannina, Greece (my hometown) is the very picturesque residence of Ali Pasha and its two mosques which are now museums.
    They can't be compared to Hagia Sophia in any way, but for them as well the same exact words can apply.

Personally, I think that history is a fine passtime, but shouldn't be used as the only tool to create a future with.

We get a lot of Turk visitors who come here to see the mosques and the old city within the castle.
    A lot of Greek visitors go to Hagia Sophia as well. Your comments however well intended may make one of either groups uncomfortable.
    We have had that many times over. Let's not go there, not again.
    Last edited by Keravnos; January 03, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast