Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 Map Previews 1-4

Default Re: 6.0 Map Preview 1 - The British Isles

EDIT: Stupid double post! sorry.
    Last edited by Chim; January 03, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

Quote Originally Posted by spunkee555 View Post
    NOT INCLUDING THE AZTEKS ANYMORE is a BIG lOST for the entire campaign.

Itīs unrealistic to play the campaign without the chance to get ovewr there and make some of the best battles and huge extra money for the wars in europe!

I personally think that this is a huge step back from realism and gameplay-experience. thereīs no reason to take the native americans out and be happy with that decision.

too big map means a step towards DLVīs boring and endless moving through open areas. and performance will be going down, iīm sure it will! 5 mins turn-wait time welcome to SS 6.0...

Canīt understand why everybody just takes this changes without criticism to the (great) mod devs, which is so prosperous for the whole modding around here and gave always so much depth to gameplay.

sorry KK, Iīm disappointed with this decision and this will make your mod no more the king ot them all!

sorry for bad english

a true fan

greetz

s.
    Get your facts straight first:
    DLV has long turns mainly because of the scripts that run in the background.
    And like said before: Who likes to fight the Aztecs anyway?
    Artifex

... I played in 5.1 my best campaign ever with HRE. the azteks where to the last a big challenge and very interesting enemy. the war there financed my war with mighty spain empire and I had the feeling of beeing a big conqueror.

the spain conquistadores will become redundant and a-historic if we donīt keep our azteks. (even if they ilved in muslim-buildings, that shows me that nobody ever cared about them and obvoiusly not many experienced the great gameplay and explorer-feeling in the campaigns)

for me the new world is the same in SS 6.0 as it is the race to the moon in CIV 4. there should be options and different maps to decide for everybody if he likes them to be in his/her campaign or not (with new map)

@wonkruben:

come on, you will prefer to have not an existing new world explored, while youīre playing in the beginning of the 16th century... thatīs lame dude.

donīt be that intolerant...

I just say what I think about it...

and: map-size does matter! donīt fool me, k?!?

did you really purposely have to triple post?

America in the current mod is boring.
    The Aztec lands are small.
    The Aztecs have a simple and boring roster.
    If you play till that period you should not even need the extra money.
    How can you call them a challenge anyway?
    Map size stays the same. when America gets removed since a whole new area is added.
    Artifex

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

said by spunkee555
    I just say what I think about it...

I always try to think about what i'm going to say. Not just say what I'm thinking.

I have only gone to the Americas twice since I've had this game, mainly because I don't make it that far into the game before i start another campaign. I thought it was rather expensive endevour so i haven't been back.

I'm actually looking forward to exploring the east.
    Last edited by y2day; January 03, 2008 at 12:42 PM.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

spunkee555
    Although I disagree with the historically accuracy of the Americas campaign, I do agree with CA that the colonisation of america is a seperate campaign and really requires its own map and factions. As such IMO it does not belong in the main campaign but should be a seperate SS custom campaign. As it is I believe the main campaign should finish in 1492 with said discovery and then have seperate late campaigns such as Colonization which allow the game to go on to 1600 plus, so allowing all those gun units to be used in the correct timeframe.

As wonkuruben has mentioned the per turn delay is due to camapign scripts, but yes we do not need vast areas of emptiness to travel across, which looking at the new map KK et al have done seems to have ensured will not be the case.

As to criticism, I believe that KK is perfectly happy to have such as long as it it backed up by some reasonable arguments. In this case most people believe that the americas is less useful than the eastern side of the map due to the fact that
    • does not get used until late in the campaign, were as a new faction in the east can start in 1080
    • most people (I exclude myself) do not play upto that period anyway
    • map wise is highly inaccurate
    • most people who do play long games don't go there anyway
    • only really of interest to western factions (as it should be)
    • lacks the right atmosphere that a seperate campaign could give it
    Thats not to say you have to agree, but does explain why I like the changes. There are lots of things I love about SS, a tiny few I do not, but thats what the suggestions thread is for. If KK likes the ideas then great, if he does not, well I can always change my own version.

At the end of the day, if it really puts you off, stick to 5.1, its a great mod as is.
    Last edited by Quark; January 03, 2008 at 12:54 PM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

youīre right quark. Maybe itīs a good idea to create a seperate "renaissance and new world campaign" I hope this idea will be heard, cause SS is still the king of the MTW2 mods. also the confession wars and 30 year wars could be a cool background for that... with a hell of a lot musketeers and pikemen!

thanks for this input! (and iīm sure you would also like to see a cooler version with azteks and mayas in a grand campaign )

Bacon!'s Avatar Decanus

i agree with the malta statement, although i dont think it ever did fall to the ottoman turks but they did get there

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I'd just forget there ever was America in M2TW and stick to Europe and Middle East.

Indefinitely Banned

Removing Americas is an excellent decision. It has no place in a medieval European campaign. Its to different eras and two different concepts. CA adding it in vanilla was simply a gimmic for sales, it was never part of the original MTW.

The Americas and its colonization deserves its own separate map and campaign dynamic, much like the Americas campaign in Kingdoms or the Frontier Modification.

Quinctilius Varus's Avatar Miles

big
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Great map!will be an other succesfull SS!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Well, at the momentthere are only 4 more provinces left before the limit is reached.
    I have decided every new settlement very carefully in terms of historical accuracy and game balance. I will decide on the last 4 settlements even more carefully, so at the moment I can't tell if I'll add one more England.
    But maybe yes.
    Anyway I can send you a list of all settlements later.
    For now I'll just post the current regions map of the Late era Campaign which will start in 1220:

It is still a WIP version and some more settlements will be added and some may be slightly changed.
    King Kong, my suggestions for those last 4 provinces:

Divide the northern part of Portugal into the province of Porto and the province of Gallicia, this is due to both historical and gameplay issues. Castile-Leon needs one more province because it's stuck in the middle with 3 factions surrounding it, in a lot of my games they normally get sufocated.

As it is I believe the main campaign should finish in 1492 with said discovery
    This date shouldn't be seen as the time limit event, other events that are as important if not more should be represented as the date limit, my opinion would be that the game ends in 1500, this date is somewhat of a "symbolic" date, a representation of change of the balance of influence and power in the constant struggle between the middle east and europe.

The "discovery" of the americas in 1492 isn't the date were looking for if we take into account the focus of this mod, it's the struggle between christian powers and islamic powers. Either 1500 or a more correct date such as 1509 which represents the Battle of Diu.

Other suggestions King Kong:

Don't forget to errase all cinematic vids, events from the americas, etc...

"Faction evolution events". Factions that could present some sort of evolution as the campaign goes on:

Templars - KoJ (if Jerusalem is captured).

Genoa - Milan (in 1409)

Condado Portucalense (country of Portugal) - Kingdom of Portugal.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; January 03, 2008 at 04:02 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Absolutely for the abovementioned numerosdecimus' suggestions, except that Genoa cannot just BECAME Milan, as these are two absolutely different cities. At least some disclaimer of ovethrown goverment should appear... And only for AI, as it would be stupid if someone just changes the whole player's king, family, banner and capital in one turn without a reason.
    Last edited by Echad; January 03, 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Finally...a road between Cardiff and Nottingham! Although it looks like it's at the expense of a road between Nottingham and Caernarvon.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by spunkee555 View Post
    NOT INCLUDING THE AZTEKS ANYMORE is a BIG lOST for the entire campaign.

Itīs unrealistic to play the campaign without the chance to get ovewr there and make some of the best battles and huge extra money for the wars in europe!

I personally think that this is a huge step back from realism and gameplay-experience. thereīs no reason to take the native americans out and be happy with that decision.

too big map means a step towards DLVīs boring and endless moving through open areas. and performance will be going down, iīm sure it will! 5 mins turn-wait time welcome to SS 6.0...

Canīt understand why everybody just takes this changes without criticism to the (great) mod devs, which is so prosperous for the whole modding around here and gave always so much depth to gameplay.

sorry KK, Iīm disappointed with this decision and this will make your mod no more the king ot them all!

sorry for bad english

a true fan

greetz

s.
    As Wonkruben has stated before me; DLV has many scripts working in the background. Personally, I would prefer to go east as many things back in the Middle Ages spawned or originated from the East: the Mongols, rare spices, the Bubonic Plague. America did not become important to the Europeans until, late in this game's timeframe.

And as a side note: the turns wouldn't take so long if you'd quit playing without the fog of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

I started the game with a Venice short campaign, ended it with 50+ provinces, in my HRE grand campaign I took ~75 provinces before ending and I hardly got near 1492 in vanilla, same with all my other campaigns. I'm just done long before or get to play another faction.
    So I'm looking forward to the eastern extension and another muslim faction. The map looks nice, too. As it seems you put a new province between Hungary and Constantinople, good decision, I always thought there's too much space in between.

This map is awesome. It will make factions like the Turks, Egyptians, Novgorod and Kievan Rus much more interesting to play (I hate being backed into... nothing).

Anatolia and the Dardanelles just became the geographical center of SS.