Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lusteds Battle AI and Campaign AI

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Lusteds Battle AI and Campaign AI

Here are the battle and campaign AI files incldued in Lands to Conquer Gold for those who want to use them.

Battle AI

Battle AI.zip contains battle_config.xml, config_ai_battle.xml, descr_formations.txt, descr_formations_ai.txt, descr_pathfinding.txt.

Features of Battle AI:

-Increased use of flanking by AI.
    -AI no longer passive in field battles v missile heavy armies.
    -Better AI in siege battles.
    -Better pathfinding for AI.

Campaign AI

Campaign AI.zip contains descr_campaign_ai_db.xml, descr_diplomacy.xml, descr_faction_standing.txt.

The ai_labels in my ai are:

catholic
    islam
    papal_faction
    slave_faction

I recommend increasing the movement points of name characters and generals in descr_character.txt as it helps the AI out.

Features of Campaign AI:

-Stronger alliances, and allies which help each other more. This results in alliance blocs forming which also change over the course of the game.
    -More logical changes to faction standings. So you and the AI will no longer always end up terrible and untrustworthy.
    -More logical diplomacy, so it is now a more useful tool in the campaign.
    -Rarer Catholic - Islamic alliances.
    -Better AI sense of survivability. AI factions are more likely to want peace/vassal if being beaten/beaten badly.
    -Better AI garrisoning settlements, and use of forces to guard it's borders.
    -More aggressive AI v rebels, so the AI expands much better early on and so the AI can create powerful nations.
    -Better AI invasions. It will now build up more before attacking, and attack with more stacks, and stacks which have more units in them.
    -Catholic factions less likely to attack each other, but still plenty of wars going on to give that Total War and Medieval experience.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: Lusteds Battle AI and Campaign AI

this my seem noobish but do they work with vanilla?(i have kingdoms and ss 5.1 but i prefer the clasic),anyway thx in advance

Yes they will if you set it up to use the files with the file first command or mod folder.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Hi Lusted,

I notice in your new Campaign AI its generally harder to get what you want in diplomacy. I prefer it this way because it helps to make the campaign more challenging. Playing on VH/VH its very difficult to get anyone to agree to be your ally sometimes (apart from at the start). But if the AI feels it can benefit from an alliance, it will offer you the alliance mid game. This AI is much smarter than vanilla and won't give anythink away unless its of benefit to them, nice job.

Now I'd like to ask you about your Battle AI, so far its very good in general but the AI seems to have problems with its formations sometimes. I notice you did not change any formations each unit uses in the EDU. Did you change much in the config_ai_battle? also did you touch the descr_formations.txt and descr_formations_ai at all? I can't help but think the AI formations could be working a bit better. Ive had battles where the AI is facing me head on and then turns its whole army around on a wierd angle to my army i.e side ways. Also the AI will ball up its men and sometimes not get back into a solid formation.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; January 08, 2008 at 04:59 AM.

I notice in your new Campaign AI its generally harder to get what you want in diplomacy. I prefer it this way because it helps to make the campaign more challenging. Playing on VH/VH its very difficult to get anyone to agree to be your ally sometimes (apart from at the start). But if the AI feels it can benefit from an alliance, it will offer you the alliance mid game. This AI is much smarter than vanilla and won't give anythink away unless its of benefit to them, nice job.
    That was one of the big aims with my changes to diplomacy, to make it much less expolitable by the player.

Did you change much in the config_ai_battle?
    Not much, just some small changes.

also did you touch the descr_formations.txt and descr_formations_ai at all?
    Yes, changed it so armies deploy with cavalry on flanks and missile cavalry not so far out, helps AI with flanking and use of cavalry.
    Creator of:

Yes, changed it so armies deploy with cavalry on flanks and missile cavalry not so far out, helps AI with flanking and use of cavalry.
    Yes I forgot to mention that, I used to hate how cavalry in vanilla would charge right down the middle of my infantry line, you've made this a lot better now, thanks.

Not much, just some small changes.
    This probably hasn't been introduced by your changes then, as you have not changed formations to much, only a little. This is like the siege bug where the AI rushes all its men to one ladder. Not somethink caused by you then, but on occassion the AI can just act very strangely I guess.

Cheers
    Dave

I'm noticing that the CAI is not garrisoning enough, leaving most settle with 2 or 3 units. Even when at war with a neighbor. This wasn't the case with older versions on the CAI. Anyone else see this.

Also, there are a lot of excommunications from the Pope and too many alliances and wars get broken and break out.

Somehow even with the money scripts in SS5, the AI doesn't build a lot of armies.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes, I wish the AI would always build full garrisons in all cities. And update them...

Black_Rider's Avatar Ordinarius

Lusted

Is yours Battle AI will works fine with BC?

I just thought I would also mention the AI is building a lot more naval units. Which is a good thing, in my current campaign I keep getting defeated at sea by enemy fleets that come at me from no where. But I recommend lowering the upkeep of all naval units by 50 florins (as I have done in my own mod). Because this is really going to have an effect on the AI's income otherwise

Ive definately seen more naval landings as well. Even saw France taking 2 regions on Ireland which I have never seen before. Also the enemy invading in ships with full stacks. The more I play with this AI the more it impresses me. You have really done a great job again Lusted!
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; January 17, 2008 at 05:36 AM.

I don't know... in my experience the AI doesn't get very big armies. Usually France and HRE for instance have about 2 or 3 stacks of 15 units at most. Some factions like scotland often just hold up in their capital with all their men, and go broke as a result.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

i downloaded the AI mod only. Where do I put that file to use it? Thanks.

Just put any of the AI files you want to use into your data folder.

Lusted

Is yours Battle AI will works fine with BC?
    BC created their own improved AI files...

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius View Post
    Just put any of the AI files you want to use into your data folder.

BC created their own improved AI files...

Yes BC has created thier own AI, I haven't played BC enough to know if it as good as Lusteds. I have found Lusteds to be the best!!!
    If you ask Lusted he will tell you that he has done all that he can do and in his opnion his final AI is the best that can be done with the limitations CA has put on modding the files. I would have to agree with him.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post

Yes BC has created thier own AI, I haven't played BC enough to know if it as good as Lusteds. I have found Lusteds to be the best!!!
    If you ask Lusted he will tell you that he has done all that he can do and in his opnion his final AI is the best that can be done with the limitations CA has put on modding the files. I would have to agree with him.
    Well of course he would tell you that if you asked him, it's his mod! But, I have no reason to doubt you, either.

i downloaded the AI mod only. Where do I put that file to use it? Thanks.
    Depends if you are using just with Medieval II Total War or with a mod.

If you are using it with just Medieval II Total War, place the files in the Medieval II - Total War\data folder, and then right click your Medieval II Total War shortcut on your desktop, go to properties and change the target line so it looks like this(the drive may vary on your shortcut):

"C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Medieval2.exe" --io.file_first

Then simply run the game using the desktop shortcut any you'll be playing Medieval II with my AI mod. Also make sure you make the changes to descr_strat.txt(located in Medieval II - Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)
    Creator of:

I don't know... in my experience the AI doesn't get very big armies. Usually France and HRE for instance have about 2 or 3 stacks of 15 units at most. Some factions like scotland often just hold up in their capital with all their men, and go broke as a result.
    Its worth remembering guys that Lusteds campaign AI likes to build a lot of big armies. But it cannot afford to keep on doing so without a good money script, and an AI debt script is also very important. Give this campaign AI help with its funds and you wont be disappointed!

Dave

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I doubt it but I will ask...
    Sorry if you have answered this elsewhere Lusted.
    I know you are done modding but have you looked to see if your AI
    is compatable with BC?

thanks

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Icon7 Re: Lusteds Battle AI and Campaign AI

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Depends if you are using just with Medieval II Total War or with a mod.

If you are using it with just Medieval II Total War, place the files in the Medieval II - Total War\data folder, and then right click your Medieval II Total War shortcut on your desktop, go to properties and change the target line so it looks like this(the drive may vary on your shortcut):

"C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Medieval2.exe" --io.file_first

Then simply run the game using the desktop shortcut any you'll be playing Medieval II with my AI mod. Also make sure you make the changes to descr_strat.txt(located in Medieval II - Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)

Thanks for the info Lusted. Kinda confused about the descr_strat.txt. What changes need to be made there? Just vanilla Medievil 2 here. No mods.
    Last edited by Raymond; January 22, 2008 at 02:35 AM.

I doubt it but I will ask...
    Sorry if you have answered this elsewhere Lusted.
    I know you are done modding but have you looked to see if your AI
    is compatable with BC?
    Should be yes, just use the default profile for all factions as I haven't got the individual faction AI profiles like BC does i believe.

Thanks for the info Lusted. Kinda confused about the descr_strat.txt. What changes need to be made there? Just vanilla Medievil 2 here. No mods.
    Ah forgot the info on profiles in the first post. Basically you need to open descr_strat.txt, and for moors, egypt, turks change their ai_label from default to islam.
    Creator of:

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast