Thread: Rome Mod Questions & Recommendations

Default Best Rome I mod these days

Hi there.

I tried Rome II for a little while. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so let's just say it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. But it sparked back my interest for the era, and I decided to reinstall the venerable Rome I and play with one of its amazing mods.

Since most Rome I players are reading this forum now, I thought I should ask here: what do you think is the best total overhaul mod for this game these days? I played Total Realism a long time ago, and Roma Surrectum about a year ago. Is RS2 still the best mod out there? Any other good one I could try?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chinaski; September 05, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Default Re: Best Rome I mod these days

RS2 is still the best, but EB is a good one to try as well.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

No harm in giving my mod a go... if you wanna remain somewhat close to the vanilla "feel" of the campaign (in terms of gameplay mechanics).

Well its the wrong forum, but you probably already know that..

EB is the best i think and I've gave them all a good go. You can get the Roma Surrectum environments for it (Makes the battlefields look nice). Also get jirasys unit submod and then the russian unit sub mod for that. The russian mod remodels and reskins a majority of ebs low poly ones and there are even new units. You can find all these in EBS submod section.

Honestly, Eb is just the best total war ever.

I love RS2, that being said the Extended Greek mod was awesome too. Those were the only 2 full mods I've tried. Warlords of Sparta is really fun too but it's not as grand of scale. however I've enjoyed RS2 the most, it does take some getting used to but once you do you get lost in it
    Last edited by z28man; September 05, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

TheCelticMarauder's Avatar Foederatus

I'm a pretty big fan of EB myself. You can try giving that a shot.

The big three:

- RS2: This is the one I prefer. I think it's the best balance of campaign, and battles. The latest version has fixed a lot of bugs and the battle AI is dealing some damage. The environments are crazy good. Many ways better than M2TW. Multiplayer is good.

- RTRVII: Zoomed in on the western nations, special emphasis on the Greek city-states. Sparta is boss. Multiplayer is also good.

- EBI: getting dated, but still the yardstick by which every other mod is compared. Special emphasis on the minutiae details of the campaign. They are the official trail blazers, the frontiersmen that cleared the path for many others.

None are really superior to the others, just a different focus and goal than the other teams. Decide upon your preferences and start testing.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention Diadochi TW? That was far and away the best Rome I mod in my opinion.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Roma Surrectum 2, is the best one out in terms of details. It improves RTW in almost every single way. Even graphics feel so realistic, maybe you will find them even better than Rome II. It is well balanced in terms of historical accuracy, and gameplay is great too.

Europa Barbarorum: A great mod with OVERWHELMING historical accuracy. It is incredibly fun, and the campaign map. Tons of historical info, much longer battles and hundreds of historical units. They even have voices done in ancient languages! Simply the most polished mod out there.

Rome Total Realism: A hugely enjoyable mod with a huge focus on historical accuracy, and a totally stable gameplay that is as enjoyable as the other two mods I listed. It is a perfect choice if you like realistic speed as well as slower gameplay. I would certainly recommend it. I am talking about RTR Platinum though, never played RTR VII.

These are the three best mods out there for RTW, although there are many more equally great mods. I have played all three, they are all fun. You might pick out one you like.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

RS2 for epicness, but honestly I liked Darthmod for simplicity and just having really good looking units and game mechanics.

My favorites are Europa Barbarorum and Extended Realism (This one expand the RTRVII)

XC and XGM remain closer to vanilla feel but still provide good balance and interesting gameplay.

I haven't played RSII yet, but i would recommend you this mod. if you love mod with great historical accuary, try Europa Barbarorum. they have many new features and tons of historically accurate units

Default Re: Need Mod Recommendations? Ask Away Here

Any mod that mods the Barbarian Invasion campaign? I really liked the western roman empire campaign, converting all my provinces to christianity and trying to stop its decline. Any mod that would enhance realism in that campaign would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm looking for a (not overly realistic) improvement on RTW or BI:1. Most factions start with just one or very few settlements (Unlike BI)2. Lots of (concentrated) cities and regions to take (Like RTR)3. Very simple city management and recruitment (Like Vanilla, unlike RTR)4. Realistic battles (Like RTR: Units rout fast, no head hurlers, no gap between cohorts etc)5. Varied units (Unlike RTR, where every nation and every unit in each class has rather limited variation in terms of charge bonus, missile range&damage, defence, armor etc)Thank you for any suggestions!

I'd recommend XGM or XC.

XGM is very vanilla-like, with only simple cultural system and enhanced rosters, with local units that create wide variety of factional rosters.

XC is more complex spinoff, with more advanced cultural, government and trait system, but it also has many more units, both factional and local. More difficult economy and high unit upkeep reduces the nasty stackspam, and makes battles more decisive.

In both cases, battles have decent dynamic, not too slow like I've seen in some mods, but plenty of time to watch the action.

Quote Originally Posted by defendurname View Post
    Any mod that mods the Barbarian Invasion campaign? I really liked the western roman empire campaign, converting all my provinces to christianity and trying to stop its decline. Any mod that would enhance realism in that campaign would be great.

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, Somnium Apostate Iuliani, SAI.

I'm looking for a mod that has vanilla hardware requirements, so it runs on my notebook, but is a total conversion and uses AOR.

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by CIaagent11; September 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM.

what is the best mod for RTW Barbarian invasion ( the Fall of Rome era) ?
    Empire Total War Imperial Destroyer MOD videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHwf...o1jzaF1nzdfd1A