Thread: Auto save?

Default Auto save?

Hi all!

First of all, let me say I love this mod so much! It really catches the spirit of Tolkien's world and the mod seems almost perfect to me!

That 'almost' is just because of one little issue... I don't know if i missed a toggle somewhere, but... what happened to autosave? RTW always crash to desktop for me now and then (maybe once or twice per evening), and while that's usually annoying, I can always go back into the game knowing i only lost the last turn. But in FATW there is no auto save, and i've lost many many hours' worth of campaigns this way.

Please, does anyone know of a way i can get autosave back into my game for FATW? It would really make my day and probably make me stick a lot longer with the mod after the initial "might as well try this other faction because i lost my whole Adunabar campaign" phase is over.

I know you can quicksave manually. It's just that since i've never had to before, I keep forgetting about it - until the next CTD and then i cry over the loss of another campaign.

Default Re: Auto save?

The autosave is disabled in FATW because it is associated with a vanilla CTD type that can corrupt your save games and not let you run them again.

If however you are willing to risk it and if RTW crashes on you so often (I assume you're talking about vanilla, coz FATW hasn't had a non-vanilla CTD report since 2.5 was out) you can do this:

Open BI/ci/preferences/preferences.txt, search for "AUTO_SAVE:FALSE" and change the word FALSE to TRUE. That's it.

Apart from doing that, do remember to save your games manually every so often, just to be on the safe side of things.

My installment of FATW CTDs just as much as all other mods i've played, which include the latest versions of EB and RTR platinum, Roma Surrectum etc, etc. I believe it has to do with my computer leaking memory or something, because it seems to happen usually when i've played a huge amount of hours in the same sitting, and especially after playing out big battles.

I'll take the chance and turn autosave back on, and if it causes corrupted saves, I'll simply have to try and learn to save manually.

So anyway, thanks a million for the help!

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
    My installment of FATW CTDs just as much as all other mods i've played, which include the latest versions of EB and RTR platinum, Roma Surrectum etc, etc. I believe it has to do with my computer leaking memory or something, because it seems to happen usually when i've played a huge amount of hours in the same sitting, and especially after playing out big battles.

I'll take the chance and turn autosave back on, and if it causes corrupted saves, I'll simply have to try and learn to save manually.

So anyway, thanks a million for the help!

same here, all installed properly but a ctd every well roughly 15 turns
    i enabled autosave too but now i have a autosave.sav that cant be loaded anymore (ctd after ending next turn) so thats game killing now. too bad coz i have the dunlanders finally in a strong position after a hard struggle.

so i guess this has to do with autosave enabling - therefore i recommend to disable autosave

just have to remember saving every turn manually - but i read once somewhere that quicksave also may corrupt the saves - is this still true?

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I would really like to understand why autosave - and apparently quick save too - cause problems. The current no-autosave-enabled FATW has had no non-vanilla CTDs reported and we believe it is fully stable.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

the dunland game i play now crashes at harradrims turn. even though sho error switch is enabled it does not show an error though.
    i played 2 dunlander campaigns and one of the new purple faction (forgive me for forgetting the name) all crash rather frequently.

but to be fair i use a n0cd exe right now coz i just moved and dont have most of my games here yet - that would explain why only few have ctd issues

i have the original exe´s backed up so once i have my cd here i will try another ampaign and post if it still crashes that frequently

< we offer no support to those who are not using legal copies of RTW-BI
    < we offer no support to those who are not using the latest patch (do NOT report errors unless using the latest patch)
    < we offer no support for those having problems with their campaign who are continuing a saved game from a previous patch
    Taken from our official forums, see http://www.thefourthage.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1719

Please feel free to report errors when you are in compliance.

Thank you.

well just to make clear:

I DO HAVE A LEGAL COPY OF RTW and all the other lines do not apply to me either

i am trying to help resolving the fact that some have frequent ctd and many dont. in fact if the fella above would post too if they are using n0cd as well i wouldnt even have to post after testing with my cd, then the issue would be solved already

Anyways..found a post in the net:

Quote: "I took down about 3 no-CD images for 1.6 and none of those things work. I experience crashes and corrupted saves."

so issue is solved, gothic uses a fixed executable as well and theres no prob with the game
    Last edited by Ahlerich; January 24, 2008 at 07:10 AM.

Excuse my ignorance. I looked up that quotation to source the forums and they seem to be talking about no-cd hacks which are not tolerated on these boards or in FATW support forums.

Is there a legal version of a no-cd? If so, we would need to know how the issue with autosave can be fixed. If everyone with no-cds has this problem it might explain why I can run the whole game through without any CTDs.

So what do you mean about gothic fixing the exe?

..anyways..no ctd with cd..so it is the fixed exe.

btw fixed exes are legal as long as u bought the game