Thread: Difference among elephants

PeteSKTemplar's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Difference among elephants

Hi guys!
    I would like to know whether you are fine with those differences among elephants. I mean that cataphract elephants avaiable for greeks is weaker and has lower armor than Indian elephants which dont have such heavy armor.
    Another problem are Carthaginian elephants - stronger and better armoured than any other unlike what I know from history (even wiki suffice) that Carthago used mountain elephants (went exinct) which was bigger than another coastal African elephants (exinct too) but smaller than regular African elephants as we can see today (taming of this one was not effective for war). Indian elephants which used Seleucids for example were bigger than those of Carthaginians. The difference was such big that african would flee when facing those from India. Another interesting feature was that Indians exported females only (to keep monopoly, not to make Greeks able to produce their own) which were still little bit lower than Indian males elephants. I know we dont have such animations to differ them but at least I would like to see stats differences, especially I would like to have better armour of cataphract elephants and those from India should be stronger than from Africa.
    It seems to me those stats werent made by the same person or same time (I guess Indian is from Alexander expansion I dont have it to be sure, about Carthaginian difference I dont know the source). I can change those stats for myself but I would like to know what you think, how you fare with what you got. Otherwise I like this mod very much just economy is thorn (AI obviously is in advantage).
    Last edited by PeteSKTemplar; December 29, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
    NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED NOMINI TUO DA GLORIAM!
    Those words were on lips of Templars when charging,
    M2TW DarthMod Team member - tester (Imperial Snowtrooper)

Primicerius

Default Re: Difference among elephants

Well, there were the three types of elephants then, to my understanding: Forest, Bush and Indian. The Bush was the smallest and could be trained for war (Carthage used these), Indian was the next up and could also be trained for war. Forest was not trainable for war, but was the biggest. It and Bush were African elephants. Historically, Seleucids used Indian, but exporting from India cannot be represented by the RTW engine, so using African elephants must suffice. The War and Armoured elephants are there to represent that both Carthage and TSE had bigger and better elephants than Bush (the Indian). So rather than importing, the engine just pretends there were bigger African elephants, possibly pretending that Forest elephants were used in war.

I just experienced big difference between XGM and Diadochi so I looked at those elephants closely and to my surprise stats are not following at least animations, for cataphract elephants has weaker armour than Indian one without armour and Carthaginian elephants are much stronger then Greeks (let say imported from India). Also price is not corresponding that for better elephants is cheaper than worse in this case.

I forgot to mention that first - smallest elephant has armour value 10, bigger - War elephants armour value 4 and the cataphract Elephant armour value just 8. If the first one would have def skill instead of armour would be understandable but it would be shot by any missile unit. So I suggest to increase armour, especially in case of the last the most expensive armoured elephant.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

The differences might actually result from the fact that Greek elephants are balanced against infantry, but other elephant's stats haven't been altered at all.

Think about it...

That what I thought - especially about Indian elephant. So would be usefull to do something with that or just let it be?

Already fixed in the latest Patch

Thanx, pity aint allowed yet + rep for you. Anyway I wish you and the rest good start to new year!

Only 4 hours to go over here, going to be a happy new year.

I also fixed some other stuff in the new patch v0.848, go check it out in the downloads section.

Hi,

I realize that this is an ancient thread and that no one might not read it, but... If you use Vericintorixs(ecuse for the poor spelling) animation editor you can indeed increase the size of your elephants...There is a great article how to use it, small tutorial and your set.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]