Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Milanese to Genoese proposition

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Milanese to Genoese proposition

Looks great Echad!

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

delra's Avatar Praepositus

There are mercenaries which are Pisan and Genoese sailors. Anybody wanted cheap light 5/6 infantry?

HIC SVNT LEONES's Avatar Senator

I'd say darken them a wee bit more.

id make the red cross more prevalent...u dont want them identical to the papal states now....
    True bread is for True Romans

Sarpedon's Avatar Civis

Ok. Got the text in the mail this morning. I'll see what I can dig up and do some writeups and character names today.

Sarpedon's Avatar Civis

I know this a DP, excuse me.
    So far in researching genoa for the start of the early campaign, I am experiencing a classic split on conscience; historical accuracy vs. playability and immersion.
    Genoa at the start of the early campaign has developed a governing body made up of 6 consuls who serve for just a few years each, made up of the local nobility from the areas around the city itself. Remarkably, Genoa's government is almost non existent. The nobility has been largely removed from decision making and justice is dispensed evenly while there is for all intents and purposes no government to speak of. The development of the 'Compagna' (commune) is first noted shortly following the early campaign start, but almost certainly existed on a level not recorded prior to that.
    So, for the early campaign I could use the titles of Head-Consul and pick out a leading name of the nobility of the time and then follow it with a historically unrelated, 'magistrate' title, or 'co-consul' or vice versa. The Compagna's ceased to exist at the end of the 12th century in favor of a 'podesta' and then later, 'doge'. These we could incorporate into the late campaign, but Genoa for the early is both an incredible specimen of a self-governing state, and a difficult faction to determine proper titles and names for. (though I do have the bishops name (Conrad) who oddly enough was a Ghibelline though most of the population were Guelfs.
    Thoughts? Does my initial inclination toward nominating some notable nobles for the Early campaign with consular titles sound good? I know that has been suggested earliet in the thread.

shenryyr's Avatar Semisalis

this is an absolutely brilliant idea - but I think it should be done without milan from the start - give milan a weak defense so they're easy to conquer, but have genoa starting with corsica or sardinia or even caffa, anything but milan just because that was a territory often in control of other factions, they should have a chance at getting it near the start, especially the hre.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Genoa purchased Caffa from Golden Horde some time around the end of XIII century.

You can purchase it yourself from whoever has it but for god's sake let's not give it to them in 1080... :-)

Corsica was taken from Pisa around 1300. Sardinia the same I think. In 1080 if I remember correctly it was Arabic. So none of those should belong to Genoa when the game starts.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456