Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Somnium Apostatae Iuliani Discussion

Default Re: Imperium Julianorum Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    It is very much a forgery - my point being that this late Roman work highlighted a decadent style (ie: a false history) which still contained nuggets (inadvertently) of information about aspects of the late Roman military - colours of military cloaks springing to mind off the top of my head! While the Historia Augusta is a forgery (I veer towards the contemporary Ammianus period in its dating alas!) it still points to a decadent Roman literary style which Ammianus himself would have been involved with. The mention of maniples as a deliberately archaic term only proves his Classical credentials whle not necessarily invalidating current military terms. One can have both, I think. In the Historia Augusta we have an amazing late Roman work of fiction even replete with fake documents - quite a revelation for the period - which is deliberately archaic sitting alongside the last great Classical history in the tradition of Tacitus (despite Gibbon's qulaifications) - both works however must be situated in the literary milieu of Rome and are therefore primarily literary documents of rhetoric and style first. For the notion of maniples as being a military usage still current I would need to see epigraphic evidence outwith literary sources - such as inscriptions and papyri fragments. Having said that, I am a firm believer in the contunuity of Roman military language and tradition and wouldn't be that surprised if it was produced - I wonder if I have just shot myself in the foot here (with a 'dart of Mars', no doubt!).
    I agree there is very little evidence other than in Ammianus, Probus and a letter written in the late 3rd Century to support my view about Centuries and Maniples still being in existance during the 4th Century and beyond. However, absence of proof is not proof of absence as they say. My own view is that because there are mention of their being old style Cohorts, Ala, Equites type units on 4th/5th/6th century AD Papyri and inscriptions from Egypt then this might be circumstantial evidence in favour of my view above. I wait to be proved wrong.
    Nice debating about this most interesting of topics.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Absolutely. I think it's fascinating that within the limitanei and the comitatenses old and new structures intermingled as did the units depending on their performance or the contingency of the times. One thing which has always struck me is the continuity of tradition within the Roman state and what it must have been like to realize one was in the very last manifestation of an ancient legio - with perhaps its standards and colours, as it were, being put away for the last time or lost in battle. But then again perhaps I am reading too much of British army tradition into a quite distant military structure. I wonder if a legio's battle honours were relived and celebrated over the centuries in our regimental manner or whether the late Romans thought more in terms of gods, a god and saints as totems of honour and morale?

I just wondering ij3 wil have new map?

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by zmv View Post
    I just wondering ij3 wil have new map?
    99% chance: no
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    99% chance: no
    But where you put Gupta?

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

But where you put Gupta?
    It is a revised map that Gaiten and Pompius worked on. There will be room for the guptas.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    It is a revised map that Gaiten and Pompius worked on. There will be room for the guptas.
    Do you add new cities?
    Julianus What about release, how long for the release?
    Maybe aproximately date of release?
    Last edited by zmv; March 17, 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Do you add new cities?
    Julianus What about release, how long for the release?
    Maybe aproximately date of release?
    Yes there extra cities, mainly for the romans and some for the sassanids.

As to a release date. it is pretty close now. I'm tidying up files, making new strat models, and have to revis the 355AD, 361AD campaign files and make a new 365AD campaign.

I would hope only a couple of weeks away, but most people know I've been saying that for months!!. I do have a life you know.

Cheers

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

GET TO WORK BOYO!!

dont worry IJ is just on the hill yond yond hill right?
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

I have managed to obtain a brand new copy of 'In Praise of Later Roman Emperors: The Panegyrici Latini' by C.F.V Nixon and Barbara Saylor Rodgers. 'The Panegric to Theodosius' contains references to both centuries and maniples, so yet another classicising Late Roman Latin writer mentioning old style units!
    I'll put this book in my book list post as well as a book everyone should try and get a copy of ' Rome, the late Empire;: Roman art, A.D. 200-400 (Arts of mankind series) by Ranuccio Bianchi Bandinelli.' There are a numbe of plates showing Late Roman troops that cover the 300 to 400 AD period and some of them throw up some very interesting questions i.e. why are most of the infantry wearing muscle cuirasses, and why are there equal number of infantry troops with large 'hoplon' round shields as well as the more typical large oval ones?

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Yes there extra cities, mainly for the romans and some for the sassanids.

As to a release date. it is pretty close now. I'm tidying up files, making new strat models, and have to revis the 355AD, 361AD campaign files and make a new 365AD campaign.

I would hope only a couple of weeks away, but most people know I've been saying that for months!!. I do have a life you know.

Cheers
    That sounds great. IJ is my favorite computer game, ever.
    Some day I'm going to have a computer that can play it, my current one always crashes.
    I'm looking forward to playing it.

I have 2 questions...first if i destroy the allemani, i mean if i get their last settlement, will they become a horde? And my 2. question is on what depends it which unit the general has as bodyguard?! Some generalls have quite good other quite bad bodyguards...well first i thought that it depends on the origin of the general...but then i saw that its not depending on it...

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes Allemanii horde. I'm still wasting two Comitatus legions (Macromanni and Britones Senores) chasing them around
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

I have new question ehm can anyone say me where are the last 2 settlements that i neeed for win for the 361 Camaign?! Susa and the otherone i forgot...i have no idea where they are...

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

u can check by clicking ur faction symbol and lookong at the map, it'll have swords stuck in the spots u need
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

i have found only 2 swords

Hey i have a question about Temples and churchs, how do you think about to destroy churches or temples if the public order get too bad?! Or what is about to chose an other faith for a settlement if the current faith of the city is the minority?! I never destroyed Temples or churches, but in 2 cases i did not rebuild them after they where destroyed in disorders. And in 4 Citys i just builded new Temples and teched them to a high lvl so that the faith in the settlement changed from Christianity to paganism.
    What did you do? Do you think that this is "legal"?!

Gruß georg

If I can do it I will destroy a temple/church if I can be bothered about converting a populace...otherwise you have to be careful about destroying them because often the one that you want to destroy is the one thats giving you some sort of public order. Get rid of that (say a Christian shrine etc) and you may be up creek without a paddle. Otherwise I tend to accomodate the primary religion in a settlement so long as its not causing trouble. I am not too concerned for legalities and realism
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

Hi there!

I download the mod and i like it.
    But since i'm a person formed in history i just want to make a sugestion.
    It's about the genealogic trees. The dates of the passing are wrong. It's possible to fix that?
    Or could someone make a patch that could correct that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hi there!

I download the mod and i like it.
    But since i'm a person formed in history i just want to make a sugestion.
    It's about the genealogic trees. The dates of the passing are wrong. It's possible to fix that?
    Or could someone make a patch that could correct that situation?
    Not sure what you mean by the "dates of the passing are wrong". Can you elaborate please.

Cheers