Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: Somnium Apostatae Iuliani Discussion

Default Re: Imperium Julianorum Discussion

First of all, I must congratulate the modders for delivering such an amazing mod to the gaming community.
    The level of detail and historical accuracy of the mod is excellent, but playing with Julian's empire in the 355 AD campaign I've noticed some minor details with the map in the western part of the empire, mainly about the cities. As I'm new to this mod, I don't know if they're this way because of a conscient decision of the modders or if it's really a slight inaccuracy in the mod.

First of all, I think that the outlay of cities in Hispania does not reflect historical reality in the IV century AD. The biggest city in Hispania at that time (probably atill retaining its population levels from the High Empire at 25,000-30,000 inhabitants), capital of the "Diocesis Hispaniae" and residence of the "Vicarius Hispaniae" (apart from being provincial capital of Lusitania) was Emerita Augusta, which is not reflected in the game.

Gades, which had been one of the main ports of the peninsula in the High Empire and pre-roman times, had now been reduced to a shrunk and decadent town, hardly worthy to be in the game. I think that it should be replaced by Hispalis (modern Seville) as main urban center in the lower Betica area, as this city became more and more important from the Late Empire onwards, eclipsing even Corduba during Visigothic times and later again after the fall of the Caliphate. Only think that while Hispalis became an metropolitan see during the Lower Empire (with such illustrious archbishops as Leander and Isidore during the VI century AD), both Corduba and Gades became only bishoprics.

Toletum was only a minor city in Roman times, a small provincial town like many others scattered across the scarcely populated interior plateau of Hispania. I guess the city is there because of the role it played in Visigothic times, but bear in mind that it only became the capital after the Goths were expelled from southern Gaul after the battle of Vouillé in 507 AD, which is quite removed from the timeframe of the game.

I think that instead of Toletum, the map should include Caesaraugusta (modern Saragossa), which was one of the biggest cities in Roman Spain and retained its vitality as an urban center across the Late Empire and bothe the Visigothic and Islamic rules. Plus, it had a marked strategic importance, due to its massive walls built in the III century AD to repeal the first barbarian attacks and its commanding position at the center of teh Ebro valley, with its bridge and several important roman roads coverging there, linking the interior of Hispania with the passes across the Pyrenées.

By the IV c.AD, Nova Carthago had been in decadence for more than two centuries since the exhaustion of its silver mines during the second half of I century AD. By now, it was just a small town, a shadow of its former glory. It should be kept in the map because of its strategic harbour and old Punic walls, the fact that it was the capital of the Carthaginensis province, but much reduced in importance.

Well, I have more thoughts but this is enough for now. Again, kudos for such an awesome job!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

That's a very useful list - thanks for the input, and hopefully these suggestions can be incorporated before the final release!

I've also noticed two minor spelling mistakes:

• Modern Arles' Latin name was "Arelate", not "Arleate" as appears in game.
    • In Byzacena province, the correct name of the city is "Hadrumetum" or "Adrumetum", not "Harumetum" as shown in game.

Last edited by Semper_Victor; June 23, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

I think the names are correct in my version... i'll go check.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Victor View Post
    First of all, I must congratulate the modders for delivering such an amazing mod to the gaming community.
    The level of detail and historical accuracy of the mod is excellent, but playing with Julian's empire in the 355 AD campaign I've noticed some minor details with the map in the western part of the empire, mainly about the cities. As I'm new to this mod, I don't know if they're this way because of a conscient decision of the modders or if it's really a slight inaccuracy in the mod.

First of all, I think that the outlay of cities in Hispania does not reflect historical reality in the IV century AD. The biggest city in Hispania at that time (probably atill retaining its population levels from the High Empire at 25,000-30,000 inhabitants), capital of the "Diocesis Hispaniae" and residence of the "Vicarius Hispaniae" (apart from being provincial capital of Lusitania) was Emerita Augusta, which is not reflected in the game.

Gades, which had been one of the main ports of the peninsula in the High Empire and pre-roman times, had now been reduced to a shrunk and decadent town, hardly worthy to be in the game. I think that it should be replaced by Hispalis (modern Seville) as main urban center in the lower Betica area, as this city became more and more important from the Late Empire onwards, eclipsing even Corduba during Visigothic times and later again after the fall of the Caliphate. Only think that while Hispalis became an metropolitan see during the Lower Empire (with such illustrious archbishops as Leander and Isidore during the VI century AD), both Corduba and Gades became only bishoprics.

Toletum was only a minor city in Roman times, a small provincial town like many others scattered across the scarcely populated interior plateau of Hispania. I guess the city is there because of the role it played in Visigothic times, but bear in mind that it only became the capital after the Goths were expelled from southern Gaul after the battle of Vouillé in 507 AD, which is quite removed from the timeframe of the game.

I think that instead of Toletum, the map should include Caesaraugusta (modern Saragossa), which was one of the biggest cities in Roman Spain and retained its vitality as an urban center across the Late Empire and bothe the Visigothic and Islamic rules. Plus, it had a marked strategic importance, due to its massive walls built in the III century AD to repeal the first barbarian attacks and its commanding position at the center of teh Ebro valley, with its bridge and several important roman roads coverging there, linking the interior of Hispania with the passes across the Pyrenées.

By the IV c.AD, Nova Carthago had been in decadence for more than two centuries since the exhaustion of its silver mines during the second half of I century AD. By now, it was just a small town, a shadow of its former glory. It should be kept in the map because of its strategic harbour and old Punic walls, the fact that it was the capital of the Carthaginensis province, but much reduced in importance.

Well, I have more thoughts but this is enough for now. Again, kudos for such an awesome job!
    Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for comments regarding cities in Spain. I will take this information into account for the final release.

Cheers

Glad to have been able to help in something.
    Is it possible to add more provinces to the map, or is it already set at the maximum number possible?

I'd say it's at the max.

Mod is awesome...I do however thing that Julians support in the east is not reflected propotionatly, after all it is the east that made Julian, the people that turned against C-2 to support him.
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

not really, 'C-2' as you call him (lolz) named J-pizzle as his successor on his deathbed. The east was more of an inheritance.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

It was actually lower Germia and Gaul that declared Julian the new emperor and forced his hand in his eventual decision to turn against Constantine 2.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually had of not Constantine 2 not die, he had gathered a sizable force with the intentions of destroying Julians claim to the throne.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

You are correct but on his deathbed Constantius named Julian as his successor, presumably to stop a civil war.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

In my version of IJ, the historical battles won't work...if I click to start one, the screen reverts back to the starting menu. Any advice on that? Thanks.

I know I had that problem at one point but I'm not sure about the latest version...

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

I am not sure but I think the Historical Battles do not work. They were not a priority when releasing the various beta versions.

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    I am not sure but I think the Historical Battles do not work. They were not a priority when releasing the various beta versions.
    And they wont be in the final release either. If people want to add historical battles later they are more than welcome to, as long as they share them with others.

Cheers

Is there a potential date where the final IJ version will be out, or will it just come when it comes? Also, will all the bugs from the 3.0 BETA version be taken care of? Thanks. It's a great mod.

Quote Originally Posted by crlane View Post
    Is there a potential date where the final IJ version will be out, or will it just come when it comes? Also, will all the bugs from the 3.0 BETA version be taken care of? Thanks. It's a great mod.
    See the progress thread.

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

If a stupid Christian hadn't killed him on the retreat he could have been a brilliant general and a great emperor.

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Caesar View Post
    If a stupid Christian hadn't killed him on the retreat he could have been a brilliant general and a great emperor.
    T'is just a ranting and nothing else. It has never been confirmed he was killed by one of his soldiers.