Thread: Call of Duty 4 (again)

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Call of Duty 4 (again)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Yet again, sorry to rehash a game that's already been reviewed but after completing it today for the first time I knew I had to write a nice big review for this wonderful game.

If you're like me then when you first heard that Call of Duty 4 was going to set in modern times you were somewhat disappointed and angry at the thought. Yet, once you got over yourself and gave the modern combat the chance you found you loved it just as much as you loved the good ol' WWII days.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare comes from the original developers of the Call of Duty franchise - Infinity Ward, and is published by everyone's favorite - Activision. Modern Warfare is the very first Call of Duty game (out of eight) to be set outside of WWII, and is also the very first to be rated Mature. Released November 6th in the US on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC the game has been receiving awards and praise ever since, and for good reason, most of which we'll hit this evening in the review...

Review:

Graphics:
    There's no hiding it - Modern Warfare has some of the best looking graphics on the 360 to date. The power of the next-gen consoles mixed with the use of a new graphics engine with true-world dynamic lighting, HDR lighting effects, dynamic shadows, and depth of field all help give the appearance that you might actually be fighting in the Middle East or in Russia. Environments are rich with detail, models are realistic looking, and everything from explosions to ejecting shell casings are beautiful to watch.

Graphics = 10/10

Gameplay:
    Naturally, with a totally new time period and environment comes a new way to play the game and a new way to play war. Besides the all-to-natural way of shooting sub-machine guns, machine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, and anti-tank weapons Modern Warfare introduces a few more help ways for you to destroy the enemy. First there's the inclusion of night vision goggles - you'll notice that more levels take place at night this time around so the night vision is more than a welcome aid in combat. Also, at given times throughout the single player portion of the game you'll have the chance to use such things as air support to clean out dug in enemies.

Some more new mechanics are the ability to throw back enemy grenades (like in Call of Duty 3), the sprint ability (ala United Offensive), and the use of flash bangs to help you clean out confined spaces and enemy buildings. Lastly, the cream of the crop with this title is the ability to shoot through the environment. No longer can enemies (and yourself) hold out against a stationary machine gun behind a wooden crate, no longer do fences and wooden walls hide you from harm. Bullets can now pass through given objects in the environments leaving you to choose your cover carefully in the midst of battle and use the enemies mistakes to your advantage. It should also be stated that previous Call of Duty players can take some pride in knowing that there are no more elaborate button mashing "mini games" in order to set charges, etc.

Like all other games in the franchise (with the exception of Big Red One) the game's single player campaign is split between multiple characters and nationalities. This time however there are only two nations which your characters are associated with: the British SAS and the USMC. The game's campaign is broken up into three separate acts each containing 4 - 7 missions each. As the SAS you'll find yourself more involved in Russia, fighting the Russian Ultranationalists while playing as the USMC will bring you to the Middle East and close quarters urban combat. The two provide a very welcome and enjoyed varying of combat - providing both an outdoor, open environment and a confined, claustrophobic environment to fight your way through.

The new features of the multiplayer portion of game cannot go unnoticed. Along with the ability to use air support and artillery strikes during games there's also a whole new experience mechanic where players earn XP and gain levels during online play. As you gain levels more weapons and special unlockables are released to you.

The only drawback to Modern Warfare's gameplay is the length of the single player campaign. While most multiplayer nuts figure this to be a back seat concern, for single player lovers like myself I find this to be a little disturbing. While all the franchise titles post the original Call of Duty proved to be longer, Modern Warfare decides to take a step backwards and reduce it's campaign length to what the originals was - something around less than six hours. Tsk, Tsk...

Gameplay = 9/10

Audio:
    Sound effects, music, and voice overs are all crystal clear and make you feel like you're in the middle of the war zone itself. The only problem with Modern Warfare's audio I found was how uncanny it was that most of the Russian's death sounds, and yelling/dialouge sounded almost exactly the same as the Germans out of past Call of Duty titles...only with Russian accents (and in some instances not). With how much this game advances the franchise you'd think they could've taken the time to record new enemy voice overs and sounds.

Audio = 3/5

Replay Value:
    Plain and simple: if you're all about multiplayer whether it be on Xbox Live or on your PC than you'll be constantly playing this game over and over again for months to come (just like you've done with past Call of Duty games). If, however, you're not an online junkie you'll probably find yourself either replaying the game again shortly after you've completed it (finding it too short) or you'll be constantly going back to play certain past missions (which are easily accessed via the main menu).

Replay Value = 4/5

Story/Plot:
    This is the first Call of Duty to ever actually feature a coherent and somewhat believable plot line. Actually, it's very cinematic, minus the depth of characters and such...in short the game takes place in the modern era, if not the "not too distant future". In this world a Russian ultranationalist named Imran Zakhaev seeks to return the motherland to how it was during the time of the Soviet Union. To do this, Zakhaev plans to overthrow the current Russian government and seize stockpiles of nuclear weapons with the help of certain loyal divisions of the Russian army. Knowing that this revolt would fail with all attentions set on Russia, Zakhaev helps incite a coup in an unnamed Middle Eastern country with the help of his ally Khaled Al-Asad.

The game opens with the public execution of the unnamed Middle Eastern country's president and the beginning of the coup. From there the player takes the role of two different men. One, an FNG named Sgt. John "Soap" MacTavish, with the British SAS and the other an American named Sgt. Paul Jackson of the 1st Force Recon USMC. Playing as both men you hope to quell the uprising in the Middle East and hopefully stop Zakhaev's plans to seize control of Russia.

The story is well put together and the loading sequences and a few special levels here and there help to push the story along, never letting it take the back seat to mind-numbing run and gun action.

Story/Plot = 9.5/10

Conclusion:

It would be a lie to say that how good Modern Warfare was was a surprise. I heard nothing but good things about it and it comes from a relatively trusted franchise of enjoyable and award winning games. Modern Warfare proves that the once ground breaking franchise still has life in it and can set the bar for future games of it's genre.

Final Score = 35.5/40 or 89%
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Default Re: Call of Duty 4 (again)

A great review for a great game. I want this game but I can't decide between 360 and PC versions. The console versions cost nearly £25 more than the PC versions in the average game store yet there's only so much room on my PC compared to my 120GB 360 hard drive and I'm tired of formatting my PC every few months and losing game data.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter The Conquerer View Post
    A great review for a great game. I want this game but I can't decide between 360 and PC versions. The console versions cost nearly £25 more than the PC versions in the average game store yet there's only so much room on my PC compared to my 120GB 360 hard drive and I'm tired of formatting my PC every few months and losing game data.
    Unlike the FPS = PC nuts we have here on TWC I'm going to tell you that while I'm sure you know shooters seem to control better on PCs...go with whichever system you think the game will look the best on AND run the best on. If your PC isn't tricked out go for the console version.

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

I'm biased but PC.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

Just started palying COD4 a couple days ago, and I have to say, it really is an improvement from COD3, especially when comparing COD3 to Big Red One (I personally liked Big Red One better than COD3)

Sig made by XKillerX

"From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
    The crownless again shall be king.
    "

Great review, though I don't think poor audio should warrant an 89% (it was an amazing game)
    There are no pacts between Lions and Men

Indefinitely Banned

How dare you re-tread my territory!

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

If I can give Vop just one suggestion/comment. When your working out the final score I personal think you should give more weighting to some components and less to others. For example at the moment the score is split equally between

Graphics
    Gameplay
    Audio
    Replay Value
    Story

i.e. 20% each. Now in a game such as Call of Duty 4 the storyline really isn't that important where as something like graphics (physics etc) is. So on the overall score graphics should make up a bigger part of the score then storyline since it's more important to the overall experience. You may not agree graphics is more important then storyline but you see what I'm getting at.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    If I can give Vop just one suggestion/comment. When your working out the final score I personal think you should give more weighting to some components and less to others. For example at the moment the score is split equally between

Graphics
    Gameplay
    Audio
    Replay Value
    Story

i.e. 20% each. Now in a game such as Call of Duty 4 the storyline really isn't that important where as something like graphics (physics etc) is. So on the overall score graphics should make up a bigger part of the score then storyline since it's more important to the overall experience. You may not agree graphics is more important then storyline but you see what I'm getting at.
    Well allow me to retort...

Firstly, if you look at the scores themselves you'd see that Graphics, Gameplay, and Story/Plot all are out of ten points while Audio and Replay Value is out of five, thus not every single one is 20% of the final score.

Secondly, I stand behind my ruling of Call of Duty 4 and every other game I've reviewed. While COD4 is very fun, has great graphics and gameplay, etc I still think it only deserves what I have given it.

I consider the story to be just as important as the graphics, if not more important. Playing a game with no story is like...is like...playing Gears of War. It's fun and all but you go through the game and finish it going..."wait, what just happened" and that to me isn't fulfilling at all.

If I may make a suggestion/comment myself Freddie...why don't you concentrate on not filling your reviews with technical babble and talk about the games more? That's one thing I've noticed in your reviews.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Well allow me to retort...

Firstly, if you look at the scores themselves you'd see that Graphics, Gameplay, and Story/Plot all are out of ten points while Audio and Replay Value is out of five, thus not every single one is 20% of the final score.

Secondly, I stand behind my ruling of Call of Duty 4 and every other game I've reviewed. While COD4 is very fun, has great graphics and gameplay, etc I still think it only deserves what I have given it.

I consider the story to be just as important as the graphics, if not more important. Playing a game with no story is like...is like...playing Gears of War. It's fun and all but you go through the game and finish it going..."wait, what just happened" and that to me isn't fulfilling at all.

If I may make a suggestion/comment myself Freddie...why don't you concentrate on not filling your reviews with technical babble and talk about the games more? That's one thing I've noticed in your reviews.

Cool your jets, I'm only offering advice I didn't even I say I disagree with the score I feel that with the way you score games you should consider the weighting for each part based on the type of game as every genre is different that's all.

As foe my review I just like to make them as comprehensive as I can, some people like to know about the technical parts of game and how they compare to similar games. You can always skip it.

even though im a pc= fps nuts as accused above i would go for the console, hell they went through the trouble of putting auto aim in the game so it would be playable on the console might as well make use of it.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

blueice thats the point, mouse control is far better when aiming with your gun, as its freestyle.

Haas's Avatar Miles

Icon8 Re: Call of Duty 4 (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    blueice thats the point, mouse control is far better when aiming with your gun, as its freestyle.

QFT

Try playing a FPS on the wii