Thread: Gaul Online Battle Report (3 Consecutive Battles)

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Gaul Online Battle Report (3 Consecutive Battles)

Meet the Prince_of_Macedon
    First off, I am the Prince_of_Macedon. However, my name in these battles is the "Lord_of_the_Celts."

Commanding the Gauls Online
    I decided to try my luck with Gaul. People say Gaul suck online, and honestly, they're right. But with a little bit of micromanagement, luck and courage, the Gauls can be a force to be reckoned with. Courage, fearlessness and speed would be my allies for the upcoming battles.

Online Battle #678: Gaul vs Germania
    12/15/07
    Grassy Flatland

OPPOSING ARMIES
    Gaul (me)
    - 6 Barbarian Noble Cavalry (plus general)
    - 5 Chosen Swordsmen
    - 1 Skirmisher Warband

Germania (Linyu)
    - 10 Berserkers (plus general)
    - 2 Screeching Women

I knew that my opponent, Linyu, was making a lot of Berserkers (judging from his low troop count), but I didn't realize he was going to be spamming 10 units of them. I guess I just had to “bear” with it.

(For better or for worse, I was going to lead the Gallic warriors into battle)

And so, I sent my Skirmisher Warband forward to harass the Berserkers. They threw a few javelins at the Berserkers, and instead of running away (as I told them to), they stood their ground. My Skirmishers routed quite easily. But I wasn't too distressed. Linyu's Berserkers were already in a rage (meaning they would get tired even faster).

Since Linyu was no longer in control of his Berserkers, I decided to let the AI-controlled units come to me. My initial plan in this battle was to swarm his Berserkers with overwhelming force. But as I soon discovered, it was the Berserkers who possessed the overwhelming force.

(Linyu's Berserkers blitz right through my Chosen Swordsmen)

My Chosen Swordsmen were smacked around easily by Linyu's Berserkers. My Chosen Swordsmen routed rather quickly. I withdrew any unit that would listen to me away from the mayhem.

I now had to use my backup plan: exhaust the Berserkers, and then kill them. I brought my cavalry forward and galloped near the cluster of Berserkers. Sure enough, those silly bears took the bait.

While his Berserkers were busy chasing after my horses, I was able to ride his Screeching Women down with my extra cavalry. They were probably harmless, but I needed some easy kills after the initial setback.

After a grizzly run through the park with the Berserkers, I decided it was time for the final climactic battle.

(The situation has become un-bearable for Linyu's Berserkers)

It was a bloody struggle in which many Gallic warriors fell. But in the end, the Celtic warriors of Gaul prevailed.

Online Battle #679: Gaul vs Macedon
    12/15/07
    Grassy Flatland

OPPOSING ARMIES
    Gaul (me)
    - 6 Barbarian Noble Cavalry (plus general)
    - 5 Chosen Swordsmen
    - 1 Skirmisher Warband

Macedon (Mustang)
    - 6 Royal Pikemen (plus general)
    - 5 Archers
    - 6 Macedonian Cavalry

I made a mistake going into this battle. I should've brought more infantry instead of cavalry. In any case, I'd have to make do with what I had.

My opponent deployed all of his Macedonian Cavalry on his Left Wing. He had lots of Royal Pikemen which truly worried me. Also of concern were the 5 Archers he had at his disposal.

My first order of business was to establish some degree of superiority over my opponent.

We had cavalry in equal numbers, but his horses were Macedonian Cavalry (not exactly top-of-line). Yes, they were still dangerous horses indeed, but I spotted a simple weakness: they were all in Wedge Formation. We both charged into each other head-on, but a combination of factors led to victory for the Barbarian Noble Cavalry over the Macedonian horses.

(Barbarian Noble Cavalry vs Macedonian Cavalry)

While his archers were picking off my Swordsmen off from far-distance, I used my cavalry dominance to knock out his Archer units.

(It was raining Archers in this battle)

All but 1 group of Archers were routed. His remaining Archer unit took refuge within the confines of the Macedonian phalanx.

At this point, Mustang decided on a simple of course of action. He reshuffled his phalanx into a “noob box” which is the easiest way to kill Gallic warriors.

(My Macedonian opponent prepares for the Gallic storm by forming the "Noob Box")

By doing this, he sent a clear message out: Macedon owns Gaul even without cavalry support.

He was probably right, but I decided to attack him anyway. By doing this, I sent a clear message out to him: I'm going to own him despite Macedon's superiority over Gaul.

(Sometimes, courage can be a substitute for inferior weaponry)

What ensued was one giant mess of a battle. Initially my troops were on the verge of being defeated, but as fate would have it, the Macedonians lost the courage to wither the Gallic storm. One by one, Mustang's pikemen began to rout.

By all means, I should've lost this battle, but sometimes the gods truly favor the bold. Gaul for the win!

Online Battle #680: Gaul vs Greece
    12/15/07
    Grassy Flatland

OPPOSING ARMIES
    Gaul (me)
    - 4 Barbarian Noble Cavalry (plus general)
    - 4 Chosen Swordsmen
    - 4 Skirmisher Warband

Greece (MiniMatador)
    - 4 Spartan Hoplites (plus general)
    - 2 Heavy Onagers
    - 2 Cretan Archers
    - 1 General's Armoured Bodyguard
    - 2 Greek Cavalry

Historically, the Greeks slaughtered the Celts when they invaded Greece. So this gave me a chance to avenge a historic Celtic loss.

My opponent was a very gracious player, but his army wasn't too threatening. He should've went heavy on the hoplites, but instead, he opted for a fun army.

In any case, the first thing I did was rout the Greek Cavalry protecting his wings. For that mission, I used my Barbarian Noble Cavalry.

Witnessing the annihilation of his Greek Cavalry, MiniMatador moved his Spartans forward to engage my Chosen Swordsmen.

My cavalry, however, never stopped moving after routing the Greek Cavalry. They proceeded to lay waste to the Greek backline which contained the Cretan Archers, the Heavy Onagers and the General's Armoured Bodyguard.

(Don't mind us. We're just cutting through)

Meanwhile my infantry had engaged the Spartan hoplites.

(Every Gaul was Kung-Fu fighting!)

With the arrival of the Barbarian Noble Cavalry, the deal was sealed.

(Spartans aren't so tough in a knife-fight)

My opponent said he suffered an “astonishingly great defeat.” I prefer all of my opponents to be so gracious.

On this day, Gaul was victorious.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Default Re: Gaul Online Battle Report (3 Consecutive Battles)

Congratulations for making such a sucky faction win a battle. They're not so bad afterall, if rightly used.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

rofl this is awesome...especially the one vs. macedon

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire le Philosophe View Post
    Congratulations for making such a sucky faction win a battle. They're not so bad afterall, if rightly used.
    Why thank you, Voltaire! They're ok, but if I was trying to win against a player with the same experience level as myself, then I definitely wouldn't use them!

(unless I was playing with Oman because we like to experiment)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_2009 View Post
    rofl this is awesome...especially the one vs. macedon
    hehe glad you enjoyed! I really should've lost the battle against the Macedonian player - I got really, really lucky

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Real nice, always great to see how you play with the 'bad' factions. Kudos for you!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Pandora's Avatar Tiro

What would you say to someone who has never played an online battle before? Are the Gauls worth a shot?
    Vae victus- woe to the vanguished

If you've never played an online battle before, you probably will get stomped (no offense). Gauls are not worth a shot IMO...to get a taste of the online game go for a good faction such as Rome, Egypt, Britons, or Carthage maybe. Even Seleucids.

And don't mind the jerks, there are a lot of rude and stupid people online.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    What would you say to someone who has never played an online battle before? Are the Gauls worth a shot?
    If you've never played online, then you should give every faction a chance. That's the best way to discover the strengths/weaknesses of each faction.

And do your best to ignore the jerks online. There's a lot of them.

Pandora's Avatar Tiro

Ok, thanks for the tips everyone, i will certainly give it a shot, sounds interesting :-)

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

okay let me ask again
    on what denarii and rules you played this? although the enemy armies we´re strange still good wins, tho its obvious you onto rush armies

Quote Originally Posted by czePowerslave View Post
    okay let me ask again
    on what denarii and rules you played this? although the enemy armies we´re strange still good wins, tho its obvious you onto rush armies
    Everyone knows my rules:
    - 10,000 denarii
    - I let my opponents build whatever they want

Regarding "rush armies," Gaul doesn't have much tactical flexibility at 10,000 denarii.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; January 05, 2008 at 06:24 AM.

Pandora's Avatar Tiro

How reliable is the "pike wall" usable as the macedons and the seleucids, in the regular campaign it can pretty much massacre an enemy army but how efficient is it online?

How reliable is the "pike wall" usable as the macedons and the seleucids, in the regular campaign it can pretty much massacre an enemy army but how efficient is it online?
    Against an infantry-heavy Gallic army at 10,000 denarii, it's extremely reliable. I specify 10k denarii because I couldn't afford any archers as Gaul.

Any melee-infantry from Germania would also get owned by the noob circle. But luckily, Germania have slightly cheaper archers than Gaul.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; January 06, 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Pandora's Avatar Tiro

And of course it is even better if you have cavalry of some quality on the flank/s right?

And of course it is even better if you have cavalry of some quality on the flank/s right?
    It's generally important to bring even a few cavalry units to battle. If your army lacks horses, then your tactical options become more limited.

But in regards to your original question about the Noob Box, melee-cavalry is even more fragile than melee-infantry when dealing with a perimeter of pikes (which is why I got really lucky against the Macedonian opponent).
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; January 07, 2008 at 06:10 AM.