Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrace worst faction?

Default Thrace worst faction?

Their units are. Half of their army are militia units(milita cavalry, m-hoplites) Their units are terrible. Any one agree.

Wanted's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Thrace worst faction?

yeah i think so too, along with dacia.
    But i like the bastarne units tough.. And Princeof macedon proved that its possible to win with them in mp (i think:/)

I think both of those factions should have more units. They both are boring to play without enough diffrent units

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Roman14 View Post
    I think both of those factions should have more units. They both are boring to play without enough diffrent units
    Which is where mods come in!

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Which is where mods come in!
    which one. They have no cavalry units and militia hoplites make up the bulk of the army.(5 attack and 8 defense). At least Dacia has warband, nobles, falxmen(thrace2),they still have siege.... Dacia is better then Thrace.

Civitate

They get phalangites (sp?), don't they?

But yeah, I see what you mean. Falxmen are actually pretty good a killing legions, though.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Bastarnae and flaxmen are really good. Also, Dacia is the only barbarian faction that gets ballistas.

In mods like TE, with Dii Warriors, the Thracians are powerful in the late game.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Illyrians View Post
    which one. They have no cavalry units and militia hoplites make up the bulk of the army.(5 attack and 8 defense). At least Dacia has warband, nobles, falxmen(thrace2),they still have siege.... Dacia is better then Thrace.
    Well, I'm sure most mods change all the faction rosters to a degree. I know in XGM Thrace has one of the most comprehensive rosters due to an extensive AOR system that is unique to them.
    But in vanilla, thrace is pretty bad. Falxmen and Bastarnae are their only two 'good' units, and they are easily countered by missiles. Although you can use a phalanx pikemen line with many bastarnae/falxmen as flankers fairly effectively in SP.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

The worst factions are Gaul and Spain. Thrace and Dacia are definitely better than those factions (generally-speaking). The most noticeable difference is that Gaul and Spain don't really have archers. Gaul's Forresters are way too expensive to use in low denarii battles, and Spain only has slingers.

Dacia is actually really dangerous since they have access to horse archers. The first time someone used Dacia against me, I figured it was just going to be a fun experimental battle. But then this guy busts out with horse archers (which is hard to counter if you don't expect it).

Also, Thrace is a solid faction, but you can't use them the same way you use Rome (since Thrace lacks any sledgehammer units like Urbans). You really have to think your way through your Thracian battles.

So, I'd rate Spain and Gaul below Thrace and Dacia. It's still possible to win with those factions, but it's a lot harder to pull off against an equally experienced player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
    yeah i think so too, along with dacia.
    But i like the bastarne units tough.. And Princeof macedon proved that its possible to win with them in mp (i think:/)
    A lot of clanmembers use Thrace - and it was TotalWarFanatic who passed on some good philosophy for using Thrace. Basically, that philosophy is: stay organized and try to fill your roster up as much as you can

And I know I just berated Spain and Gaul, but I will be posting some AARs where I use each one in 3 consecutive battles online.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; December 27, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

And Thrace is lightblue which makes them ultracool!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Shadows's Avatar Lurking unseen...........

Thrace is actually okay if you know how to play them. I tend to use the best hoplites i can get for them, put them in phalanx mode and park my general behind them for a morale boost. Then flank with falxmen and let the falxes carve up the infantry. Only problem is cavalry, but you just need to recruit some of your own cavalry or use a unit with phalanx mode.

I'm using Thrace in my current SPQR campaign and I've conquered every town with a port on the Black Sea and I'm expanding into Asia Minor as well. Mainly thanks to falxes that can carve up the Pontic/Seluecids Eastern Infantry.

Trust me, with enough falxmen, Thrace can be a pretty good faction to play with, you just have to get some good falxmen and tie down the enemy so they can chop them to bits.
    IN PATROCINUVM SVB Virgil (aka 1hHoplite) (1hHoplite's Chaos of Battle Picture Thread)
    Brother to the chivalrous lord, The White Knight, the Evil Einstein of the East, darkragnar and mi nuevo hermano, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.
    Winner of the Second General Trivia Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    Thrace is actually okay if you know how to play them. I tend to use the best hoplites i can get for them, put them in phalanx mode and park my general behind them for a morale boost. Then flank with falxmen and let the falxes carve up the infantry. Only problem is cavalry, but you just need to recruit some of your own cavalry or use a unit with phalanx mode.

I'm using Thrace in my current SPQR campaign and I've conquered every town with a port on the Black Sea and I'm expanding into Asia Minor as well. Mainly thanks to falxes that can carve up the Pontic/Seluecids Eastern Infantry.

Trust me, with enough falxmen, Thrace can be a pretty good faction to play with, you just have to get some good falxmen and tie down the enemy so they can chop them to bits.

Well in Vanilla their terrible. They start out with Militia hoplites and they get crushed by any1. I still can win with them but they have nothing good about them. Ill rater have a german spear warband then the flaxmen.

Foederatus

I quite like thrace.

I use the SPQR post method with a phlanax line and flanking with quicker units. Pop north for Sarmatian Cav and HA, left for barbarian Cav.
    Also with XGM mod you can build auxilliary buildings to have other nations cav.
    Last edited by goldendunner; December 28, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
    http://twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138115

My attempt for a 'different' AAR

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    And Thrace is lightblue which makes them ultracool!
    You mean flourescent blue... Thier units are blindingly bright!

I quite like the Thracian campaign. Lots of possibilities and hard choices early on but when you have conquered Greece and have silver/gold cretan archers in each and every army you can do whatever you want. Never played them online though.
    End of an era

Wanted's Avatar Libertus

i cant stand their color but after reading all these replies i feel like starting a campgain with them.. Should i?

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

I think that Prince was mostly reffering to online play not much of a campaign I guess...

Falxmen give you a run for your money with almost any early army - excepting phalanxes. They wiped out a unit of Macedonian Cavalry even when charged from behind in a matter of seconds. But I do prefer Dacia, if only for the Chosen Swordsmen.
    Asking for rep is a sure fire way to not receive any, at least from this old cynic.

Dacia is much better. They have warband, archers, falxmen, Nobles, has everything thrace has and more. Thrace infantry gets overpowered easily its not even funny. They have no tech tree. In my Bruitti campaing I easily raped them.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by Illyrians View Post
    Thrace infantry gets overpowered easily its not even funny. They have no tech tree. In my Bruitti campaing I easily raped them.
    Couple of points:

- Dacia is pretty strong, but so is Thrace
    - the AI doesn't know the first thing about using Thrace (not to mention that Rome is stronger than most factions to begin with). So fighting against the computer isn't the best measuring stick for determining a faction's potential
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; December 30, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast