Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: FACTION PREVIEW: The Roman Empire

Default Re: FACTION PREVIEW: The Eastern Roman Empire

Quote Originally Posted by nce_wht_guy View Post
    cat-a-fract-oy
    Actually the pronounciation had changed by that time with complex dipthongs becoming simple sounds.
    From o-y it had become i
    This had happened in the early years BCE to CE.

So the proper accent would be

cat-a-fract-i

bold for intonation.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

its times like these i need to practice the damn pronounciation

*clicks first page*

ok i give...........only kliba-whats-its-name, and Ka-ta-phrak-toi

pronaioiaia what ever........

HURRAH ERE.......CANT WAiT to use them to satisfy my freakin addiction with cavalry charges................

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Keravnos View Post
    Actually the pronounciation had changed by that time with complex dipthongs becoming simple sounds.
    From o-y it had become i
    This had happened in the early years BCE to CE.

So the proper accent would be

cat-a-fract-i

bold for intonation.
    Maybe a sort of roman influence from latin? male plurial ends also with 'i' in the nominativum

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos View Post
    Maybe a sort of roman influence from latin? male plurial ends also with 'i' in the nominativum
    The way it was written didn't change.
    It would still be written as "Καταφρακτοι"
    However the way it would be spoken changed.

The sound for "oi" had become "i", not "oy" as was the case in classic era and up to first century CE.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

whats the difference between "oi" and "ai"??

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

in a nutshell.
    -os singular/-oi plural
    -es singular/-ai plural

Ο πελταστής(peltastes-english transliteration as "η"-eta doesn't exist in english.)-----> singular
    Οι πελτασται(peltastai)-----> plural

Ο θωρακίτης(thorakites)-----> singular
    Οι θωρακίται(thorakitai)-----> plural

---------------------

Ο θυρεοφόρος(thureophoros)-----> singular
    Οι θυρεοφόροι(thureophoroi)-----> plural

Ο κατάφρακτος(kataphraktos)-----> singular
    Οι κατάφρακτοι(kataphraktoi) -----> plural

Note that there are both masculin and feminin words with the above endings.

The way it was written didn't change.
    It would still be written as "Καταφρακτοι"
    However the way it would be spoken changed.

The sound for "oi" had become "i", not "oy" as was the case in classic era and up to first century CE.
    I know but maybe when the 'Romani' arrived the greeks heared latin and maybe toke the 'i' pronounciation over in their language.I've red that byzantine and new greek has a few roman/latin elements in it,brought by the romans (i pronounce 'brought by romans' because greek had influenced the latin language as well even in the time when 'magna graecia was still greek,so even if the romans didn't conquer the hellenic world and brought their latin influence in greek,their would still be some elements who are the same in both languages.For example in koine greek,and i believe still these days,the 'I' word in greek was 'egw' (read egoo),in latin it was ego).

Are there some greeks here who maybe know some latin elements in modern greek?I'm just wondering
    Last edited by Basileos; December 28, 2007 at 12:15 PM.

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

All very helpful. I'm just glad I wasnt the only one having trouble with the damn names.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos View Post
    I know but maybe when the 'Romani' arrived the greeks heared latin and maybe toke the 'i' pronounciation over in their language.I've red that byzantine and new greek has a few roman/latin elements in it,brought by the romans (i pronounce 'brought by romans' because greek had influenced the latin language as well even in the time when 'magna graecia was still greek,so even if the romans didn't conquer the hellenic world and brought their latin influence in greek,their would still be some elements who are the same in both elements.For example in koine greek,and i believe still these days,the 'I' word in greek was 'egw' (read egoo),in latin it was ego).

Are there some greeks here who maybe know some latin elements in modern greek?I'm just wondering
    There is deffinitely a huge influence of latin in modern greek. First off, it has been suggested that modern greek has a "latin" accent and that is not too mistaken. Ancient greeks used to "sing" their language, much like present day cypriots do in their own language idiom. The absolute majority of us modern greeks have lost that aspect of our language.

-The letter "φ" wasn't pronounced as "f" but as p+h. Romani pronounced f as is in (father). Romani accent is what we have now in greece.
    -The ancient word for house was "οικια" (Oikia). The word for house in modern greek is "σπιτι" or "spiti" from "hospitium".

There are many more examples like the above. Maybe some greek language laureate can give you more details, but the truth is that there was a huge influence of the Romani in the greek language.

There is deffinitely a huge influence of latin in modern greek. First off, it has been suggested that modern greek has a "latin" accent and that is not too mistaken. Ancient greeks used to "sing" their language, much like present day cypriots do in their own language idiom. The absolute majority of us modern greeks have lost that aspect of our language.

-The letter "φ" wasn't pronounced as "f" but as p+h. Romani pronounced f as is in (father). Romani accent is what we have now in greece.
    -The ancient word for house was "οικια" (Oikia). The word for house in modern greek is "σπιτι" or "spiti" from "hospitium".

There are many more examples like the above. Maybe some greek language laureate can give you more details, but the truth is that there was a huge influence of the Romani in the greek language.
    Thanks Keravnos! I couldn't find any information in books or on the internet who tells about latin influence in greek. Coincidentally,when i was small, i tought that greek was a romance/latin language.
    The west and the latins in the midlle ages said that the byzantines were not romans,because they didn't wear roman clouthes and didn't speak a roman language.Maybe the byzantines weren't that 'not-roman' afterall!
    thx again!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Beautiful writing, beatiful screenshots, beautiful units!!

mamma mia bella magnifico

**Retired**

thank you all. I hope you will enjoy them in game even more.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

For Sure

The specular map for the javelineers shields is messed up. Hence the shields and javs are lit up like airport runways. Everything else looks good.

**Retired**

Thank you. yeah, the mdb entry was messed up.

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

Excellent work gents!
    BTW: the Byzantines werne't pagan at this time, were they? Im certain they were 100% greek orthodox...

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
    BTW: the Byzantines werne't pagan at this time, were they? Im certain they were 100% greek orthodox...
    Well no...

Aside from some mercs under their command (mainly cumans and pechenegs).

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

By the time this mod starts the ERE has been officially a Christian nation for nearly 800 years.

But the Ere also had Muslim and Pagan soldiers in their ranks, as well as Catholic.

Praepositus

question kontaratoi what is it?
    did really existed which byzantine army used them ???

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    question kontaratoi what is it?
    did really existed which byzantine army used them ???
    If i'm correct Kontaroi or Kontaratoi was a long spear just like Sarissa and used by Kataphractoi. :hmmm: