Thread: factions

loukas's Avatar Tiro

Default factions

xgm Diadochi is in my opinion the best mode out there but it could be better. I would love to see 3 things:
    1 - India as a playable faction (with units from alexander) in stead for arveni (2 gaul factions is too much). India was importent back then so I would like to be able to play them
    2 - more persian like units for bactria beacause right now this faction isnt that great
    3 - let's face it no one plays scythia - they suck so it would be great to see some other faction instead. I propose the huns. Yes i know it wouldnt be historically correct but wouldn't you like to see if attila and his hordes are able to cocquer greece and so on. If the huns are implemented we would have a one in a lifetime chance to see a fight between them and for example the spartans. You would give the huns their units from BI.
    If I was a modder I would make those changes myself but unfortunately I don't know how so you guys are my only chance im counting on you

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: factions

Lukas I hate to sound rude but the Huns are not historicaly correct for this period and the game is about some form of historical accuracy as well you say to use the units from bi thats illegal.

Also I in my own opinion like the 2 gaul factions Im currently playing a germanic campaign and I am being assulted by the gauls who seem to not worry about fighting each other they are giving me a real run for my money.
    Im sure if you want a united faction you could change that yourself.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

I don't think that India would give that much for the gameplay, as it's on the edge of the known world and some decent rebel stacks make it challenging enough to conquer them. As for playing with India, it doesn't really give that much.

Scythians are a rarely played faction, but they still create an important buffer between thrace and parthia. It's fun to fight against hordes of Scythians if you're Thrace...

As for Aedui and Averni - I really loved playing with them, the Aedui have northern regions and the Averni have the southern ones. You start as allies and both have the opportunity to fight for Britain, though it'll usually end up in a bloody war between the two, which is even more fun.
    Repelling Romans is a challenge on it's own.

So yeah, the factions will stay as they are and I'll concentrate on making these factions more fun to play.

I find Thrace to be a bit weak. I must confess that I don't know much about thrace. I am assuming that they are a Greek faction, There must be other units, the current roster is a little small and getting started is a , I think they need more money.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Maybe you should change the Scythians to the Samartians (simply change the names of units and the faction name) or to the actual Scythians who at the time were a Hellenised tribe living north of Thrace along the Black Sea. I don't really see the need for the Independent Greeks. They are usually crushed by other factions and don't provide much of a challenge. I would suggest turning them into Syracuse or the Bosphorans who were much more influential at the time and replace the Independent Greeks with strong rebel armies.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

PeteSKTemplar's Avatar Ordinarius

But what with Sparta than? I think that majority of players including me wouldnt let Sparta die without a fight, without a good fight.
    I agree with Sarmatians instead of Schythia. I have to say I like Scythians units, especially they have finally good cataphracts unlike majority of other mods which dont have anything like this. Though income is tough.
    NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED NOMINI TUO DA GLORIAM!
    Those words were on lips of Templars when charging,
    M2TW DarthMod Team member - tester (Imperial Snowtrooper)

But what about Sparta?, I find it sickening the devotion that Sparta has. Sparta was nothing great. Another greek city, Hollywood has made Sparta what it is. Singleing one city out and giving it god status is aweful(lowers head and Vomits repeatedly), I hope the next blockbuster movie isn't as rediculous as the last one.

DHS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

whoa dude that film may have been almost completely ahistorical but the spartans where no where near being just another greek state there society was one of the most extreme in history and there actions helped save greece and western civilisation as we know it i agree they have been made out to be godlike warriors which lets face it they werent but they where the best in there prime

I wasnt reffering to movie 300 for I like and honor history and that movie was just a comix one. I had in my mind unsuccesfull invasion of Epirus against Sparta, or how Rome allowed Sparta to keep traditions. They disappeared totally from history until Slavic conquest so I think they are worthy to be as a faction though I cant say how it would be the best to make independent cities as faction but not typical faction - perhaps by ability to have from every city own units but retraining would be a problem.
    Thrace was a power to be reckoned with until Romans begun to steamroll in eastern direction and aint sure whether Thrace was totally subdued province of Roman empire anyway until Byzantine one. Thracians were more like Macedonians but refusing Greek culture unlike Macedonians (even today its problem for many to distinguish the difference between Macedonians and Greeks but time will tell sooner or later that what was taught so far wasnt totally correct) so they kept some barbaric or semibarbaric ways.

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Well, I'd imagine that AOR units for the important city states would be enough, like Bosphoran archers, Athenian marines, Spartan hoplites, Rhodian slingers, etc.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Sparta Sparta Sparta, (Lowers head), If you believe that the Spartans were better Warriors...would you believe that "A long long time ago, In a galaxy far far away.......

DHS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not "long time ago" but much later Templars came who might compare their spirit in Middle East with that of Spartan.
    Its up to own taste, aint forcing any idea, just expressing.

I also think Sparta should be independent faction,
    if this mod focus on greek of B.C. 3 century.
    Both Achean League and Sparta are important players in this period,
    at least than Athenai or Thebe.
    The third important faction is Aetholian League.

and Greek region in campaign map is too narrow for
    struggle between Greek factions,
    So it is desirable to use Webbird big map for this mod.