Page 7 of 504 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Default Re: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Sher Khan, suggest me some pervert anime; I want to change my taste now.

So what kind of perversion are you looking to indulge yourself in? The innocent misunderstanding by a guy with otherwise noble intentions ala Love Hina?

Or something more risky and perverted? Should it be funny? Should the fanservice be obvious and part of a joke, or passing in clear view but never the butt of a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA
    sharp like an edge of a samurai sword
    the mental blade cut through flesh and bone
    though my mind at peace, the world's out of order
    missing the inner heat, life get colder
    oh yes, i have to find my path
    no lesswalk on Earth, water and fire
    the elements compose a Magnum Opus
    my modus operandi is amalgam
    steel packed tight in micro
    chip on my arm, a sign of all pro
    the ultimate reward is honor not awards
    at odds in the time of wars with no lords

A freelancer; a battle cry of a hawk make a dove fly and a tear dry
    wonder why lone wolf don't run with the clan
    only trust instinct and be one with the plan
    Do the impossible, see the invisible.
    ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWER!
    Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable.
    ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWER!

Power to the kids, power for the dreams,don't miss being scared,so incomplete.
    Once incredible soldier from underground, see how easy, they over down.
    Dig into the court to see the light, lets get out of here baby, that's the way to survive.
    Yo I top off your hat, I'm on the set, do the impossible, that you want to bet,
    cause a lot of things change, we be waiting in vain, if you wanna get by, don't play no game.
    Wow, they just wanna test me again?
    Sorry my rhymes stunt your brain, yo.
    Last edited by Sher Khan; January 11, 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Far East gangsta steelo, repping Ryuku fo life

Marcion's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Personally, I don't actually like a lot of the above myself save Steamboy.

But I'm trying to get them to see a show and see if they like it, rather than tell them how I find them terrible.
    ...But you don't seem to really have a grasp of what cyberpunk is, nor did you take the hint that something more intelligent than Naruto was probably in order.

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Do the impossible, see the invisible.
    ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWER!
    Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable.
    ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWER!

Power to the kids, power for the dreams,don't miss being scared,so incomplete.
    Once incredible soldier from underground, see how easy, they over down.
    Dig into the court to see the light, lets get out of here baby, that's the way to survive.
    Yo I top off your hat, I'm on the set, do the impossible, that you want to bet,
    cause a lot of things change, we be waiting in vain, if you wanna get by, don't play no game.
    Wow, they just wanna test me again?
    Sorry my rhymes stunt your brain, yo.
    What the hell is that from ?

Ayway, as for now im not looking for something in Particular. I would like....

A) Something good, whatever the genre is, i have faith in your tastes.

And for a seprate anime

B) Anything you would reccomend to anyone who liked Haruhi suzumiya.

Recommendation and introduction, not review and judgement.

As much as we could judge a show to be inferior, it would be shameful to deny said mention of show to someone who might very well enjoy said show. Such is the difference between recommendation and elitism.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus
    What the hell is that from ?
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Ayway, as for now im not looking for something in Particular. I would like....

A) Something good, whatever the genre is, i have faith in your tastes.

My personal favorites of 2007 were Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Baccano! Shows that were probably more style than substance, but If you're up to it I'd say check them out.

Currently airing is Clannad, a show that's far better than I expected and has a good number of well-done characters.

And for a seprate anime

B) Anything you would reccomend to anyone who liked Haruhi suzumiya.
    Hmm... so are you looking for something that's little slice-of-life like, something that makes a lot of references to other anime and games, or something with characters similar to Haruhi?
    Last edited by Sher Khan; January 11, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

As much as we could judge a show to be inferior, it would be shameful to deny said mention of show to someone who might very well enjoy said show. Such is the difference between recommendation and elitism.
    Then reccomend me some of your elitism

if that makes any sense.....

Or just something Like Haruhi suzumiya.....

Well, for the slice-of-life comedy similar to Haruhi, I'd recommend shows like Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star.

For more of the references to other anime, games, and Japanese shows, I would say Lucky Star again (they have plenty of Haruhi references since the same studio produced them both, and the same VA for Haruhi returns for the lead in LS).

For the lighthearted take on the supernatural, I'd recommend NieA_7 (Niea under seven). It's a rather happy take on aliens living alongside humans, etc. It may also interest you that much of the staff that worked on Serial Experiments Lain also worked on this show.

For the comic cast of characters, I would say Lucky Star, again, or Ouran High School Host Club. Lucky Star is more of an acquired taste, and something you either hate or love (or tolerate as I do). It has its up and down moments ranging from mildly charming and generally funny to droning chatter and boring story movement (well, there's none whatsoever).

Ouran is much more faster paced, and its charm is in its extravagent cast of characters that, while over the top, all are interesting in their own way. It's also very funny situation comedy, as long as you can stomach the FABULOUS characters.

Although this doesn't really apply to what I said, it's interesting that you brought it up. It's something I've noticed about the established anime community that reviewers (people who are supposed to be critical) almost never give legitimate critical evaluation. In every other field of art and entertainment criticism, reviewers give their subjective judgements of the item's merits and flaws in equal measure. It is good form, I believe, to provide logical, intelligible basis for this evaluation, but having taste is something that is expected of human beings. Even the most empty-headed "Narutard" has something they snub, after all. And I've never once been asked about a movie or game or book or whatever I've seen without being asked if I liked it as well.

In anime review on ANN, say, you can usually spot the **** shows when the reviewer calls it "fun." This is almost like a byword for "no merit whatsoever, but I assume somebody out there is into this, so I won't call it bad." Although it's technically a positive evaluation, it completely loses its meaning as such, as no standard of quality is applied. It's the exact mindset you have, and I'm not sure why people have it. I hope you know that most people are not suggestable enough to take your word as some kind of divine mandate, and 100% objective association (which is not a recommendation anyway) is something you'd go to a database for, not a person.

( ̄へ ̄)

ε-(´・`) フー

If I was reviewing anime, I would guarantee you not one would get anywhere near perfect or exceptional scores. I'm far too critical when it comes down to such a thing.

I suppose you can come in here and tell me the 'exact mindset I have.' Knock yourself out. But you'll notice saying the same thing for your last three posts hasn't gotten you any result, has it?

That fact is, had I some intention of making this an anime review where I weed out nothing but what I consider the best, I would A) not have any to suggest and B) Not bother doing a question and answer method to find what people who ask me are looking for in a show.

As I've said, you won't find a list of 'approved' anime here, not from me. You won't find anybody here considering my word some sort of divine mandate. You'll find people who say they enjoyed a show and, instead of me directing them to a 'Drama Anime' or 'Sci-fi Anime' list of shows, I try to personalize it a bit further and pin down a show that someone really wants.

And so far I've been plenty successful. Many here have seen shows I suggested to them - despite being utter crap in my very honest opinion (though I never tell them such) - and they return incredibly happy, begging me for news of a second season and such.

We can rebuff the 'empty-headed Narutard' all we'd like, but he is still his own person and will enjoy what he likes rather than being told what to like. Even with the terrible animation, the stolen fight sequences, the abominable VAs for both Japanese and English, the horrendous character design, plot less developed than most other anime of its level, and QUALITY artwork as far as the eye can see, people still flock to it. They like it. And while it's perfectly fine to stand on a pedestal and look upon the masses in dismay and self-righteous arrogance, it's not OK to tell them what they should and should not watch.

We're watching cartoons. That's all they are, and they should be seen for enjoyment, not sampled discriminately like fine wine. I'm giving them what they want, not what I want. I am arrogant enough to define what is and what is not a good show. But that's not what I'm here for, and not why this thread is progressing smoothly and with high success.

This is not me on a cloud divining for my subjects what show they must see next. This is me on a sofa with a notepad taking down the thoughts of my clients and, based on what they like and what they want, finding shows that would closely match their criteria.

Someone wanted a show with military intrigue and action similar in style to FullMetal Alchemist. Rather than go through a database of Action Anime, I found a show that closely matched the look and feel of the FMA military scene in Pumpkin Scissors. I've seen this anime. I did not like it, and I would never give a positive review of it if I wanted to give a review. I would suggest the manga on all accounts over the anime. But that's not the point I made this thread. I gave them this show, and they watched it.

And they loved it. It's as simple as that.

Actually reviewing anime is an utter waste of time. They are terrible across the board as far as I'm concerned, and reviewing any more than the most iconic ones (all five or six of them) is an exercise in futility. Reviews function to demand a higher sense of standard from the anime industry, while people will simply watch what they think will be interesting, judging for themselves if they liked it or not.

As foreigners, our review has no power or sway over what Japan does with its shows.

So from what I can gather from that, you essentially are trying to be a human database in an attempt to please everyone. I guess that's actually kind of a noble aim, and I have to give you props for your non-weeabooness.

However, you're not getting the point of criticism. Being a critic isn't about telling people what to watch and not watch, we can't make up people's minds for them no matter how hard we try. The mass media of an entire country has trouble with that one, what do you think the odds are for one reviewer? If there was any chance at all I could end the moe phenomenon, you can bet your ass I'd be on it. But all we can really do is give our perspective. Some people, through experience, may come to appreciate and trust it as valued input. The rest will ignore it. In the end, the decision is always in the hands of the individual.

There's no reason to treat anyone's taste as "elitism," unless they're faking it. And sure, some people get whiny when you don't like a show they like, but they need to grow the **** up.

Keep on truckin' I guess, maybe some day I'll start my own snobby cynical bastard anime thread, and we'll see how they stack up.

It's why I don't claim to be a critic in my approach, only suggestive. There's every possibility that the client may not like what I suggest, but I definitely try to build them a list that's meant for them and not myself. Thank you for understanding.

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

So is there any anime, beyond that crappy Alexander done by Peter Chung, that relates to Antiquity? Romans and Macedonians and stuff in anime, I think that'd be very nice in an anime format, but I haven't found anything.
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Nope. The closest so far I'm aware of is a manga by the name of Historie, which follows the life of Eumenes, a general to Alexander.

The best we have are minor allusions to Greek and Roman mythology in stuff like Fate/Stay Night.

It's a historical period that the Japanese haven't really explored at all in their work.

They've done some good work on other periods of history (usually later), however. My current favorite is Vinland Saga, a work focusing on the year 1000 and the viking invasions of England.

Edit: I got my hands on volumes 1 and 2 of Historie. The art is a little lacking here and there, but it seems fairly authentic in its approach to its characters (so far Eumenes and Aristotle confirmed).

Also, I spy a cute lady in Greek armor 40 pages in.

Edit: Get ready for epic page-stretching action! I know this is manga, but it's definitely a rare treat to see some Ancient Greece in the medium.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And what looks to be Philip himself.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by pannonian; January 12, 2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Big pic.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

You want some hentai recommendations ??

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I was going to recommend Historie also, but Sher Khan beat me to it
    That's one of my all time favorite manga, and if you liked the manga Parasyte and/or interested in ancient Greece you will probably like this.
    The author of Historie(Iwaaki Hitoshi) also wrote a 1 volume manga called Heureka before Historie.
    Heureka is set in Syracuse during the 2nd Punic war, right before the Roman invasion.
    The protagonist is a Spartan named Damippos who settled in Syracuse avoiding the political strife in his homeland and his Roman lover Claudia, and Archimedes and Marcellus are among of the main characters.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Zipang is absolutely awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Sher Khan.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I was going to recommend Historie also, but Sher Khan beat me to it
    That's one of my all time favorite manga, and if you liked the manga Parasyte and/or interested in ancient Greece you will probably like this.
    The author of Historie(Iwaaki Hitoshi) also wrote a 1 volume manga called Heureka before Historie.
    Heureka is set in Syracuse during the 2nd Punic war, right before the Roman invasion.
    The protagonist is a Spartan named Damippos who settled in Syracuse avoiding the political strife in his homeland and his Roman lover Claudia, and Archimedes and Marcellus are among of the main characters.
    Have you checked out Vinland Saga?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Consul
    Zipang is absolutely awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Sher Khan.
    No problem, that's why I'm here!

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

DAMMIT!!!

when i watch zipang i feel like playing Destroyer Command

and when i watch that pic....it makes me want to play Rome Total War again

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Col., your saying Zipang is good?
    Team Member <3

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

well yeah.....it is kinda good.........no wait great

i mean hell Aegis Cruiser, IJN Yamato, Yamamoto, USS Wasp, Battle of Gualdalcanal, Corsair bombers, Zeros, Tomahawk Missile, Harpoon Missile the awesome Aegis Defense System.........i mean hell it was GREAT!!!

and ohe yeah is there an anime in Historie??

hey sher khan you became a mod?? well goodluck with that

Last edited by Erwin Rommel; January 14, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII