Page 6 of 504 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

Default Re: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

I've enjoyed quite a few anime series (films is another matter, of course) but I have to say that Shinichirō Watanabe is the director that has impressed me the most. His Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are both, simply put, brilliant series.
    -Client of ThiudareiksGunthigg-

tabacila speaks a sad truth:
    Well I guess fan boys aren't creatures meant to be fenced in. They roam free like the wild summer wind...

no time to look through all posts. Ninja Scrolls
    "contrast the rapid progress of this mischievous discovery with the slow and laborious advances of reason, science, and the arts of peace, a philosopher, according to his temper, will laugh or weep at the folly of mankind." - Gibbon

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

I want another anime like Elfen Lied, Sher Khan.

It's gotta be moody, and serious. None of this Lucky Star/Naruto/Love Hina crap.

Boogiepop Phantom and Blood+, and shows like Witch hunter Robin.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is definitely recommended, but there's a bit of light-heartedness at the beginning of each arc. But, it quickly goes serious in just a short amount of time.

Noir and RahXephon might also be what you want.

And definitely recommend Gunslinger Girl.

Vampire Hunter D and Ghost in the Shell if you haven't seen these yet.

Code Geass might be good

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Boogiepop Phantom and Blood+, and shows like Witch hunter Robin.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is definitely recommended, but there's a bit of light-heartedness at the beginning of each arc. But, it quickly goes serious in just a short amount of time.

Noir and RahXephon might also be what you want.

And definitely recommend Gunslinger Girl.

Vampire Hunter D and Ghost in the Shell if you haven't seen these yet.

Code Geass might be good
    I shall wiki each to get a short synopsis. Thanks.

Hattori's Avatar Citizen

Sher Khan please recommend me something, I'm post number 74!

Under Patronage of MARCVS

RuroKen sounds good, but any idea where I can download episodes or obtain DVDs or anything? Dubbed or subbed, either's good with me. I know I can probably find episodes on youtube, but it could be difficult, and Youtube is usually of poor video quality.
    I do hereby resolve to stay out of any debates in the political mudpit and the Ethos and Mores thread! ...What? I suck at arguing my point!

War
    You know you wanna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori
    Aw what a cool thread. Sher, these are my favorite shows in no particular order.

Ghost in the shell movies- like the philosophy, characters, the setting and the cyberpunk athmosphere.
    GITS series- same as above, just without the philosophy cause there isnt much.
    Akira- like the setting, style and epicness.
    Ninja scroll- like the animation.
    Ergo proxy (Zomg everyone see this if you havent!!)- love the cyberpunk setting, characters and the script itself.
    Serial experiments Lain- love everything except the repetitive nature, should have been a movie.

Sher, I dont know if you're in the category of people that find some of the animes above full of pretentious pop philosophy and anoying, but I love it. Anyway can you recommend me something? Everyone I know IRL that watches anime are mostly Narutards etc so I wont get anything from them.

Clearly you're a cyberpunk fan, so I'd recommend the Bubblegum Crisis series, one of the original in this genre. Appleseed and Armitage sound like your sort of show, but I haven't seen them myself.

I highly recommend Texhnolyze, Wolf's Rain (a bit more nature-centered than most cyberpunk), and definitely the Metropolis movie (yes, there's an anime with the same name as the famous movie). I personally enjoyed Cyborg 009, though it's a little different than most other kinds of shows. I thought it was very good, however.

You also might want to check out Ĉon Flux, the anime that spawned the Charlize Theron live-action movie. It's a little different than most anime (art style), but should be what you're looking for.

On this note, might I recommend you check out some Steampunk? While cyberpunk focuses on the darker side of future tech, steampunk focuses on the darker side of past tech - namely steam power. You may like the transition, as the change isn't too drastic from what you like already, just a bit of scenery change.

In this genre, I highly recommend the Last Exile series and movie Steamboy. Both will knock your socks off.

Quote Originally Posted by Seda
    RuroKen sounds good, but any idea where I can download episodes or obtain DVDs or anything? Dubbed or subbed, either's good with me. I know I can probably find episodes on youtube, but it could be difficult, and Youtube is usually of poor video quality.

I recommend episodes 1-62, as the show takes a dive right after that point. A few later episodes are alright, but lots of filler between 62 and 95. You can find RuroKen DVDs on Amazon I'm sure, as for downloads... you'll have to hunt down torrents...

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

where can you find season 2 of pumpkin scissors??

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

There is no season 2 as of yet. Sorry!

Check out Gunslinger Girl for a change of pace: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IXOeON8mEAA

saw it..........nahh

in the meantime ......I'm watching Honey and Clover II

strange choice eh??

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

So what do you like about H&C?

hehe thats the thing i dunnoh

maybe its just that guy with grey hair (Takemoto)

well we have some "similarities" ..........plus the fact that i need a break from all this and Morita is kinda funny in a way

I'm watching pumpkin scissors. Good Anime.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dear God, Black Lagoon is the BEST show ever made without question.

Currently I'm watching Shura no Toki, kinda disappointed since the plot summary said it would be set during the Heian era, but instead it's set around 1610 (the most boring part of the samurai era).

However Musashi Miyamoto is one of the main character, and theres a ninja, so it's not too bad.
    Team Member <3

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dear God, Black Lagoon is the BEST show ever made without question.

Currently I'm watching Shura no Toki, kinda disappointed since the plot summary said it would be set during the Heian era, but instead it's set around 1610 (the most boring part of the samurai era).

However Musashi Miyamoto is one of the main character, and theres a ninja, so it's not too bad.
    Team Member <3

Marcion's Avatar Semisalis

I like just about everything Hattori posted, and have seen most of the things you recommended, and feel the need to interject.

Clearly you're a cyberpunk fan, so I'd recommend the Bubblegum Crisis series, one of the original in this genre. Appleseed and Armitage sound like your sort of show, but I haven't seen them myself.
    BC is one of the "high" points of cheeseball 80s fare. Strip GITS of all its intelligence, toss in a mountain of cliches, and you've got something resembling that show. I'd only watch it if I wanted to play drinking games, and lose them. Armitage isn't much different from BC, maybe a tad more mature dramatically, but basically still one big set-up for explosions and blood spurts. Appleseed is passable, but I'll advise one to avoid it along with any Masamune adaptations that don't involve Mamoru Oshii.

I highly recommend Texhnolyze, Wolf's Rain (a bit more nature-centered than most cyberpunk), and definitely the Metropolis movie (yes, there's an anime with the same name as the famous movie). I personally enjoyed Cyborg 009, though it's a little different than most other kinds of shows. I thought it was very good, however.
    *impronouncable bull***** I haven't seen much of but looked promising. I don't know why anyone would think Wolf's Rain was cyberpunk, maybe all the gray backgrounds or something. But it's definitely a pure fantasy/fairytale affair. It is actually a quality show that I recommend, but if you're looking for hacking and such exclusively, look elsewhere. Metropolis is hard for me to pin down exactly, but it's closer to steampunk/fantasy than to GITS. It reminds me of Miyazaki in that it's basically pushing a message, and has a lot of visual dazzle. Worth watching on cable.

You also might want to check out Ĉon Flux, the anime that spawned the Charlize Theron live-action movie. It's a little different than most anime (art style), but should be what you're looking for.
    Aeon Flux is not actually anime by any definition I'm aware of. It was created by Peter Chung, a Korean animator who has worked on primarily mainstream North American animation, and does so with a distinctly European style (see Schiele, Moebius). As for the show itself, it's more or less just a parade of bizarre fetishism and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird. So if that's your thing, go for it.

On this note, might I recommend you check out some Steampunk? While cyberpunk focuses on the darker side of future tech, steampunk focuses on the darker side of past tech - namely steam power. You may like the transition, as the change isn't too drastic from what you like already, just a bit of scenery change.

In this genre, I highly recommend the Last Exile series and movie Steamboy. Both will knock your socks off.
    LE and Steamboy are actually the only two proper members of that genre that I know of. They're both worth the watch (especially for the visual element), but they are high fantasy, and totally devoid of any historical relevance or deep technological/philosophical insight.

The best thing I could recommend for you would be more Mamoru Oshii, if you haven't seen all of his already (he did the GITS movies). The second Patlabor movie is contemplative and glacially paced, even compared to GITS, but it will not disappoint if you're a real fan of cyber/political intrigue. Jin Roh is more character-centered than the other of his serious works, and is simply a great movie all around (I know he didn't actually have a lot to do with it, but watch it anyway). Blood: The Last Vampire is simply visual horror in spades.

/threadhijack

Personally, I don't actually like a lot of the above myself save Steamboy.

But I'm trying to get them to see a show and see if they like it, rather than tell them how I find them terrible.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Sher Khan, suggest me some pervert anime; I want to change my taste now.

sharp like an edge of a samurai sword
    the mental blade cut through flesh and bone
    though my mind at peace, the world's out of order
    missing the inner heat, life get colder
    oh yes, i have to find my path
    no lesswalk on Earth, water and fire
    the elements compose a Magnum Opus
    my modus operandi is amalgam
    steel packed tight in micro
    chip on my arm, a sign of all pro
    the ultimate reward is honor not awards
    at odds in the time of wars with no lords